MBI #3 - Codename: HF

spiralarchitect

Newly Enlightened
Just jumped in on the cu HF-R. I was seriously jazzed when I saw these available..... even though it was my third light in a many weeks. Really looking forward to getting my hands on this one.

Prepped

Enlightened
If I hadn't just ordered a light from Vinh, I would be on this like a fly on....

Darn. Next time when I get some cash.

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just jumped in on the cu HF-R. I was seriously jazzed when I saw these available..... even though it was my third light in a many weeks. Really looking forward to getting my hands on this one.

Hello spiralarchitect,
Welcome to CPF :D and thank you for posting.
As it says on my website I am somewhat drowned in orders but working away and look forward to sending this out to you. :thumbsup:

If I hadn't just ordered a light from Vinh, I would be on this like a fly on....

Darn. Next time when I get some cash.
Hi Prepped,

I'm sure a light from Vinh is equally worth waiting for and certainly hope you do enjoy it :D

I do very much love creating and sharing the hobby so the future will hold plenty more MBI goodness when timing makes sense for you.

Tgwnn

easilyled

Flashaholic
All I can advise is to jump on these Ti and Cu 5mode HF-Rs while they're available. I have been holding out for them for a very long time and am relieved that I have finally ordered them.

magellan

Honorary Aussie
All I can advise is to jump on these Ti and Cu 5mode HF-Rs while they're available. I have been holding out for them for a very long time and am relieved that I have finally ordered them.

Yes, just ordered a Nichia and XP-L coppers.

qmtu

Enlightened
Is the copper light significantly better for heat sinking, or mainly cosmetic appearance?

easilyled

Flashaholic
Is the copper light significantly better for heat sinking, or mainly cosmetic appearance?

qmtu, I asked this question in my post #4697 of this thread.

I received some interesting answers in several posts following this, especially one from tgwnn a few posts down. :)

qmtu

Enlightened

I received some interesting answers in several posts following this, especially one from tgwnn a few posts down. :)

It looks like more testing required.
Let me know your thoughts when you get both your lights, easilyled.

easilyled

Flashaholic
Guy, my 5mode Ti HF-R arrived today along with the Nuke charger and extra nukes. I was completely blown away by the excellence of all your products, the great attention to detail even down to the impressive packaging with little instruction booklets and each item being carefully sealed.

The trit install was perfect too. As for the HF-R, it is quite exceptional with the unique rotary tail UI, the very useful 5 levels and the blindingly bright level 5 for such a tiny light.

I remember being one of the first to participate in your original Torpedo thread when it was in its infancy and the amazing patience that you showed to all the naysayers. You have come a long, long way since then and are probably offering the greatest miniature lights available. Well done!

jonwkng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congratulations, Daniel! :) Yup, MBI packaging rivals the best in the retail industry. All the more impressive considering that it is just Guy and Mrs Guy packing our lights. Definitely makes the unboxing experience unique. Guy's tribal note that accompanies each of his packages adds that awesome personal touch.

Yeah, it helps too that the lights come in nice little packages, so it won't be too long before you get a small pile of MBI boxes, like I do. :p

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks easilyled :)

Yes, just ordered a Nichia and XP-L coppers.
Congrats megallan :D
I look forward to sending these to you :thumbsup:

Hi qmtu,

Thanks for the question.
As easilyled had mentioned, there was a little discussion just a few posts back and my observation is that the heat seems to dissipate through the copper ever so slightly better than the Ti but I've not yet measured whether that translates into any performance benefit (if there is one, its not obviously noticeable to me).

I was looking for an IR (InfraRed) cam attachment for my phone and looks like they are not available here yet (FlirOne for iPhone) but that would be a fun and interesting experiment to do.

I received some interesting answers in several posts following this, especially one from tgwnn a few posts down.
Thanks easilyled. :D

Guy, my 5mode Ti HF-R arrived today along with the Nuke charger and extra nukes. I was completely blown away by the excellence of all your products, the great attention to detail even down to the impressive packaging with little instruction booklets and each item being carefully sealed.

The trit install was perfect too. As for the HF-R, it is quite exceptional with the unique rotary tail UI, the very useful 5 levels and the blindingly bright level 5 for such a tiny light.

I remember being one of the first to participate in your original Torpedo thread when it was in its infancy and the amazing patience that you showed to all the naysayers. You have come a long, long way since then and are probably offering the greatest miniature lights available. Well done!

Thanks ever so kindly for taking the time to share your first impressions.
I do remember your participation way way back, before MBI was officially "MBI" :bow:

Things have certainly progressed several magnitudes since then.
I must confess... the versions you now have are very much the result; and of significant proportion largely to the credit of, those who've shared an opinion, viewpoint and/or feedback (including yourself) both here and by email, and of course the many kind tribesfolk who decided to take a gamble on some nameless guy from cyberspace.

Every spare penny (and even the not spare ones) go back into R&D and finding a way to improve, even in the tiniest way. It can sometimes be a lot of hair pulling when things are delayed (my own) but thankfully I'm a little more relaxed these days as I have the good fortune to have enough supporters vouch for my commitment to ensuring things will be made right, no matter how many times it may take.

There are many, many late nights of slow and careful inspections, re-inspections, testing, assemblies, packing, etc, etc, but the reward is knowing I've been able to shed some light on what's possible with a little dedication and the awesome support of a tribal community and ever so luckily, I do enjoy it all :D

Congratulations, Daniel! Yup, MBI packaging rivals the best in the retail industry. All the more impressive considering that it is just Guy and Mrs Guy packing our lights. Definitely makes the unboxing experience unique. Guy's tribal note that accompanies each of his packages adds that awesome personal touch.

Yeah, it helps too that the lights come in nice little packages, so it won't be too long before you get a small pile of MBI boxes, like I do.

Thanks jonwkng :thumbsup:
Looking forward to helping you grow that pile :cool:

Tgwnn

p.s. For those of you who do really love your MBI lights, I'd be thrilled if you considered casting a vote in The 2015 Flashaholics Must-Have-List and/or leaving a few quick words over at my website on the product page (there's a simple review form at the bottom of each product page).

p.p.s. Just about time for my midnight post office run ;)

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nichia CU HF-R UTT - payment sent

Tight on the mode switching and these are going to rock! Thanks Guy!

FsTop

Enlightened
Got lucky on the timing and spotted the copper this morning. Just ordered a copper light (STT, installed) and a charger. Two separate orders, but you might as well ship them together.

I think this will be my third or fourth of your outstanding EDC lights.

I wish you the best in your recovery,
Rick Z.

Last edited:

AdamB

Newly Enlightened
The copper looks awesome Guy, but I can't say I'm surprised. My Ti HF-R and charger are always on me or in my bag.

Do you still have plans to make pocket clip? I know you're incredibly busy, but I'm just wondering if it's something you're still planning to make at some point.

qmtu

Enlightened
Guy,
I received my Ti HFR and coreTI today. Thank you.
I played around with it, and the feedback is...
I think I'm going to sell off all my other lights.

...My only constructive criticism is, is it possible to have discrete stops when you rotate the tail, in the future?
Anyway, I'm heading back to the closet to play with my light.