McGizmo Haiku - An Ideal EDC - An Essay

scout24

Flashaholic
Very well written, and puts into words why I carry one of my Haiku's almost every day... I've had several PS-S's, and several Lunasols, both 20 and 27, and find the Haiku just flat out works better FOR ME than any other light I've owned. Others may be subjectively "prettier", have more levels, and do something better than the Haiku, but for true EDC, the Haiku reigns supreme. I use a Ti Titan for super low, and recently a Makai as my thrower. Give me those three and an un-named keychain backup light, and I could stop right there. I have other lights I really like, but can't see a Haiku being bumped from my pocket any time soon for more than a day or two just to put others through their paces. More often than not, in that case, the Haiku rides shotgun anyhow... Two is one, and all... :) Thanks for taking the time to write and post this!:bow:

tony22

Newly Enlightened
Others may be subjectively "prettier...

Shirley you can't be serious? :) nbp's awesome writeup, plus those shots, show the Haiku to be one pretty piece of machinery. Pretty enough to bbbbuuuuuyyy - no, not another one! :help:

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
EDIT - couldn't resist - Fenix E01 left - warm Sapphire GS right...
PicasaUp.jpg

Dan - what color is that wall? My GS arrived too and it doesn't look that warm to me. I was a bit dissappointed that every neutral light I have is warmer than the GS.

nbp

Flashaholic
Looking forward to it! I have learned a lot from the reviews on CPF. Thanks.

LOL, not from me, from run4jc. I don't have a Sapphire....yet. :devil:

Oh, and I wanted to get opinions from you guys on something. I sorta wanted to do a similar write-up for the Mule too, but I realized the two lights share many of the same features and it would be kind of redundant. Mostly it's just the beam profile that is wildly different. Does it warrant its own mini-essay, or could/should it be added as bonus features to this one??? Let me know.

Thanks again for the kind words and feedback. Keep it coming, if there's anything else that should be added, let me know. :thumbsup:

carrot

Flashaholic
Great review. Don't know how I missed this earlier.

Can't think of any product I own where I am 100% absolutely completely satisfied, without a single doubt, besides my McGizmo lights. They are just perfect by any measurement, so refined and polished nothing else can hold a candle to them...

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow what a read, thanks for taking the time! It should have been obvious, but I guess I never even realized their clips were Ti also. Which is a nice touch, because I've actually broken a few SureFire clips. While they replace them for free, I'm lucky I haven't yet lost a light because of it. And you definitely make a compelling case for the switch & ergonomics. Great pics too. These are definitely the most beautiful lights out there. If he ever comes up with something small like the sapphire, without the rounded tail, I don't think I could resist.

nbp said:
>haiku
>all ~4,000 words

No that's not how you're supposed to... never mind (I edited it for you):

Legendary clip
Quick light taps hard click light holds
Simple well spaced modes

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love everything about the Haiku XP-G except for the flicker exhibited on the low and medium modes (PWM). I may be more sensitive to PWM than most - but it just seems to be a really slow rate of flicker - easily the most noticable of any light I've used - Back to my good ol' HDS 140 GT - no flicker on that one on any of the modes.

As I said, everything else is fantastic - great UI, looks fantastic and hey, it's TI!!

If Don could utilise a driver that didn't use PWM to reduce output, I would get another one in a flash.... pun intended!!:)

James....:thumbsup:

stoli67

Enlightened
Great review about one of my favorite lights. Just finished walking the dog with mine a minute ago... Using the long body I got from my gavina I took out the haiku head running a 18650.

It was just a test of the size as I am thinking about a 6V haiku XML to add to my warm XPG!

I feel the Haiku is not only a work of art but is pretty much indestructible .

I agree with the low low but as sow others have done I have another bedside light with a really low so as not to wake up the kids.

Overall... If you want a light that just works then you really cannot go wrong here.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL, not from me, from run4jc. I don't have a Sapphire....yet. :devil:

Great little light! I did a review of the Sapphire 25 over here - about the only difference now is with the tint. I put the same lousy iPhone pic of the tint up in that thread. May improve on that photo, but the review pretty much covers the same 'goodness' that the Sapphire GS has.

Oh, and I wanted to get opinions from you guys on something. I sorta wanted to do a similar write-up for the Mule too, but I realized the two lights share many of the same features and it would be kind of redundant. Mostly it's just the beam profile that is wildly different. Does it warrant its own mini-essay, or could/should it be added as bonus features to this one??? Let me know.

Thanks again for the kind words and feedback. Keep it coming, if there's anything else that should be added, let me know. :thumbsup:

One man's opinion - do a separate review of the mule. One of the true values of this forum is the aggregation of different users reviews and opinions. The only thing I enjoy more than writing my own reviews - is reading someone else's!! You have a knack for this, so please share your thoughts on the mule in a new post. Perhaps you could just link to this review for things like the clip, switch, etc., but the 'business end' could be all new comments. Thanks for doing these! :thumbsup:

fyrstormer

Banned
Is there a comparison shot that shows the difference between the warm GS and cool DS versions of the Sapphire? I've been toying with the idea of picking up a second one, because somehow I just can't subject my only Sapphire to the "rigors" of in-pocket carry with all the other crap I keep in my pockets.

nbp

Flashaholic
Oh, if only Don could make his lights out of some magical material that would be able to stand up to the abuse of keys and coins. But alas, it is only a dream. :sigh:

:nana:

nbp

Flashaholic
I got a good chance to use my Haiku today at work and it really shone. One of the formulators told me they needed someone from QC to get in a hold tank and inspect it to make sure it was clean before they pumped the next product in there. I was the one to do it. :ironic:

He asked if I needed to use their light:

tuffcase.jpg

tuffcase.jpg

Yeah, four 5mm LEDs, that'll do the trick. :sick2::sick2::sick2::sick2::sick2::sick2::sick2::sick2::sick2:

I just smiled and said, "I have a light".

I climbed in the tank and clicked on my Haiku to HI, and one of the young guys who was poking his head in went "Whoah!"

I shone the light around and quickly identified the product spots on the walls that needed scrubbing. It's a 5000 gal resin tank, so it's sort of translucent and ambient light shines through. Without a very bright light, it's impossible to see the light colored product on the walls, thus, the reason they had missed some spots.

I told the guys they needed a brighter light. They said the plant manager was going to get one for them but they were still waiting. :popcorn:

I am seriously considering buying a user TK20 or something simple and indestructible off the MP and donating it to them. I can't stand looking at that crap light they have, and they are jeopardizing the quality of our mixes if they can't see well enough to get tanks completely clean. :ohgeez:

Anyways, the Haiku performed perfectly. Again. :thumbsup:

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by RedLed
Dude,

Your photos are great...

:eek: Thanks man, I appreciate it. I have no photography training, and I use a point and shoot digital camera and a lightbox made from a cardboard box and printer paper. So, they never seem very good to me. :duh2: I do need to put a bigger sheet of paper in the back to get rid of that stupid seam though. :sick2:

---

Thanks. My company is always willing to share production & Technical info. just send an E-mail.

Also, I printed your review and pui it in my flashlight files and archives.

Well done!

All the best,

NR

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
I'm not sure what's crazier, that you have a flashlight archive or that my essay made it in there. ;)

Thanks for the kind words, and I'm glad you liked the review. :)

Maybe it will inspire some more people to buy Haikus. :twothumbs

mr.snakeman

Enlightened
I can only reiterate what others have already said: a great review of a great light. Thanks for all the work you put into it. I EDC my Haiku XP-G on a daily basis and just wish I could afford another one in a neutral tint.

fyrstormer

Banned
He asked if I needed to use their light:

tuffcase.jpg

tuffcase.jpg

Yeah, four 5mm LEDs, that'll do the trick. :sick2::sick2::sick2::sick2::sick2::sick2::sick2::sick2::sick2:

I just smiled and said, "I have a light".
:devil:

I told the guys they needed a brighter light. They said the plant manager was going to get one for them but they were still waiting. :popcorn:

I am seriously considering buying a user TK20 or something simple and indestructible off the MP and donating it to them. I can't stand looking at that crap light they have, and they are jeopardizing the quality of our mixes if they can't see well enough to get tanks completely clean. :ohgeez:
Do it, then hand your boss the receipt. Make it something that runs on AAs. Maybe a couple Fenix E21's, or something like that. Two modes is one mode more than they need, really, but it'll come in handy if they don't want to blind themselves looking at something close-up.

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
Oh, if only Don could make his lights out of some magical material that would be able to stand up to the abuse of keys and coins. But alas, it is only a dream. :sigh:

Here is what I do to keep mine nice...

I use 800 grit sand paper for deep scratches, then 1000, 2000, and finish with the 3M White Ultra-Fine Scotch Brite Pads. They look like new, and in about 5-10 minutes. And old used sandpaper can still be used, so I save it.

Sometimes, I just use the white scotch Brite Pad. Often I do it whiles aboard planes traveling, or in the downtime at events, waiting around for them to start.

Really, I just touch them up, I do not try to make or keep them perfect, just real nice like any of my other expensive gear.

In place of the sandpaper, I sometimes use the gray, and maroon 3M Scotch Brite pads, then finish with the white. This works well to keep it nice.

Again, this a touch-up, not a polish, I like the machined feel. I leave the clip alone.

Best,

NR

Last edited:

Latest posts