McGizmo Haiku - An Ideal EDC - An Essay

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
nbh,

I added a Peter Atwood Titanium Ribbed Bead - it is a perfect match, and it is on a zipper pull size of para-cord 550.

I have beads that match most of my lights, and love them. Chris Reeve makes wonderful TI. beads, as well as Rick Hinderer.

The Hinderer, and Reeve beads are always in stock, the Atwood's are tricky to get. I have a variety of all three makers, and they are on my knives too.

I wonder if Don has thought about beads.

Just an FYI for you!!!

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
Hi Ned,

Thanks again for the kind words; I don't know if it's really all that special, but thank you. :eek:

I just tried to express what I felt and how I percieved the light as an actual user, and why I am happy to pick it up every single day and put it in my pocket as I head to work. Maybe it seemed too mushy at times considering it is simply a flashlight, but I think that a lot of heart was put into making these lights, and so it takes a little heart to really appreciate them.

Good tip on the beads as well. I have a couple 5 Flute Ti Atwood beads (my favorite of all the ones he made) but they are on an adjustable leather cord necklace I made. I never really wear the necklace though, maybe I should pull them off and put them on my EDC McGizmos. I've got paracord of all colors too, so that could be cool.... I'll see what I come up with and post it for ya. :thumbsup:

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know Haiku is expensive and offer very limited technological advances, but it truly is a very nice light built to last. It also grows on you. Very seldom do I have lights that grow on me but McGizmo does. If you need a light built to be strong and without the bells and whistles, McGizmo lights are sure nice to have.

scout24

Flashaholic
I'll respectfully disagree with the limited advancements... Haiku is available with the XM-L emitter, in addition to the XP-G and the high CRI Nichia 119. Ti, Sapphire lens, reflector optimized for the chosen emitter, best clicky switch available, and a pocketclip that others only wish they could make. Three very usable levels, and bright enough for anything that you could realistically ask from an EDC light, or the best color rendition available if that's what you need. If that's not advanced, I'm not sure what is. You can keep the strobe modes, and all the other bells and whistles that pass for advancements, I'll keep my Haikus... :)

Last edited:

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will give my opinion on what advanced means. I like a super low mode in the range of 0.05 to 1 lumen range. Haiku don't do that. I like a light that when using on medium mode allows me to do momentary high output by pushing the tail cap down. Example would be HDS clicky and rotary as well as any Surefire that uses a two stage twisty switch. Haiku doesn't do that. I like a light that gives me an affirmative change in output whenever I clicked it. Haiku don't. Many times I have to struggle through the clicks just to get it to revert back to low from high. I like a light that runs on constant regulation. Haiku don't. I can detect very distracting and annoying PWM signature on low and medium. I also like a light that gives me a higher high for times when I needed the extra boost to see further. Haiku don't because it did not pass my test on some night walks in the jungle. In fact, all my single cell lights appear brighter than the Haiku. Maybe it is because I am using the XM-L version instead of the XP-G? To me, those points I highlighted are what I would call advance technology. I was told that Haiku work on a KISS principle. I don't feel the KISS at work here because like I said above I sometimes struggled to get it to change mode. Don't see that as simple because I never have to do that with all my other lights. I am not slamming the Haiku or Mule. I love them for other reasons but it was never for the technology. I don't regard sapphire lens as technology by the way.
I'll respectfully disagree with the limited advancements... Haiku is available with the XM-L emitter, in addition to the XP-G and the high CRI Nichia 119. Ti, Sapphire lens, reflector optimized for the chosen emitter, best clicky switch available, and a pocketclip that others only wish they could make. Three very usable levels, and bright enough for anything that you could realistically ask from an EDC light, or the best color rendition available if that's what you need. If that's not advanced, I'm not sure what is. You can keep the strobe modes, and all the other bells and whistles that pass for advancements, I'll keep my Haikus... :)

scout24

Flashaholic
That, sir, is the beauty of our hobby! :) Different strokes for different folks. This would be a boring place if everyone agreed! The other lights you mention are solid choices, and work for lots of people. My apologies for sidetracking the thread, nbp, I'll stop now.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
That, sir, is the beauty of our hobby! :) Different strokes for different folks. This would be a boring place if everyone agreed! The other lights you mention are solid choices, and work for lots of people. My apologies for sidetracking the thread, nbp, I'll stop now.
Yes you are right. Everyone have their own opinion, likes and dislikes, but we can agreed that we all love McGizmo lights. For me, it would be the aesthetics as well as the ergonomics as what nbp has brought up. Like what you said, the McClicky switch is superb and I love it! They just felt so robust in my hands I can't stop playing with them. In fact, I am contemplating on buying more. Probably a 6V XM-L Haiku or a Makai.

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast
Man, now that that is posted I realize how much text it is! Yikes, no one is gonna read all that. And sorry I'm not a very good photographer either. :sigh:

I read it all and I like it! I don´t have any McGizmos yet, but this kind of essay always make me want one!

Thanks for posting it.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks pjandyho for the price, I really like the bead blasted look.
You are welcome. I wanted the bead blasted too but I am not sure if it will wear as nice as the polished ones so I ended up getting the polished.

nbp

Flashaholic
Federal LG said:
I read it all and I like it! I don´t have any McGizmos yet, but this kind of essay always make me want one!

Thanks for posting it.

You're welcome, I'm glad you liked it. :) Let us know how you like your Gizmo when you do get it. :naughty:

--------------------

Andy, out of curiosity, what kind of cells are you using?

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're welcome, I'm glad you liked it. :) Let us know how you like your Gizmo when you do get it. :naughty:

--------------------

Andy, out of curiosity, what kind of cells are you using?

That's a really good question - in Don's post HERE he stated the following about the warm XPG Haiku:

"7) I discovered in the process that these warm XPG's in addition to being lower in flux than their cooler counterparts also have a higher Vf. This has resulted in some issues for some of you who use primary CR123 cells and find that it can become difficult to shift out of high level. (more on that in a moment)"

Don't know if perhaps Andy's is a warm version? Incidentally, I own:

Haiku XPG
Haiku XPG Warm
Haiku High CRI
Ti High CRI 6V mule
Makai 6V XML
Haiku 6V XML

I use AW RCRs exclusively (occasionally an IMR) and I've NEVER had a mode switching problem - except just prior to the battery being exhausted. Since I rarely allow my batteries to drain to exhaustion and never use primaries in my 'gizmos, I never have that problem.

Just offering that tidbit.....

Love the thread, NBP!

Oh, and for my $.02, whatever your definition of technology is, McGizmo's technology is state of the art as far as I'm concerned!

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
After the original post I was thinking I would just HAVE to get a McGizmo light. This one sounded perty darn good.

Then I read about PWM flicker. I am VERY sensitive to PWM and that is a deal KILLER for me!

Shooter21

Enlightened
Damn it i couldn't resist i just ordered my first Mcgizmo, a high cri haiku. i just spent my whole paycheck and im gonna be kicking myself for a long time for that.

nbp

Flashaholic
Thanks again Dan. :)

I use primaries and I have noticed occasional miss-shifts with my cool XP-G as well, though not as many as in the warm one I returned. It seemed to get better with some practice, but even so I get them once in awhile. I am considering picking up a couple RCR123s on my next Lighthound order to see if I can completely eliminate them. If Andy is using primaries too, he might try a rechargeable to see if it solves the problem.

Shooter21: Although very very hard, isn't tungsten carbide pretty shatter-prone under strong impacts? That may be a problem. I don't recall exactly.

Shooter21 said:
he should make a special batch out of tungsten carbide so it would be unbreakable.

nbp

Flashaholic
Shooter21 said:
Damn it i couldn't resist i just ordered my first Mcgizmo, a high cri haiku. i just spent my whole paycheck and im gonna be kicking myself for a long time for that.

Congrats! Welcome to the family! :thumbsup:

Latest posts