McGizmo Haiku - An Ideal EDC - An Essay

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
nbp, there you go again with that sweet talk. My first Haiku was the 3S XML and it is still my favorite. The beam is just perfect - so useful. It made me realize that I was a beam snob more than a tint snob. My next Haiku was 119V AA and I appreciate the tint and slightly more throw oriented beam. I also like having an AA light that can run on Eneloops or whatever I have around in an emergency. I also used this for a while with the 123 pak as a CR123 battery vampire, but I found better or more reasonable options for that need. Now I can feel the XP-G2 tugging...

ASheep

Enlightened
Just when I think I've been away from flashlights long enough, this thread pops back up into view. Thanks Tapatalk, you're going to cost me several hundred bucks, I see a Haiku coming soon...
I've held out for 4 years... I think 2014 will be the year I get Haiku'd!

Cheers,
Alex

nbp

Flashaholic
nbp, there you go again with that sweet talk. My first Haiku was the 3S XML and it is still my favorite. The beam is just perfect - so useful. It made me realize that I was a beam snob more than a tint snob. My next Haiku was 119V AA and I appreciate the tint and slightly more throw oriented beam. I also like having an AA light that can run on Eneloops or whatever I have around in an emergency. I also used this for a while with the 123 pak as a CR123 battery vampire, but I found better or more reasonable options for that need. Now I can feel the XP-G2 tugging...

Haha. :) I hear you yoyo. I am more a beam snob than tint snob as well. That said, I have a cool McG XP-G LE, a McG 119 LE and a datiLED 219 LE and I switch them around between my Haiku, Mule and SunDrop depending on what I want. For now I have the XP-G in my Haiku, the 119 in my Mule and the 219 in the SD (a little extra oomph from dati in that one. ;) ) I like this arrangement. What I would really like when I can afford to buy toys again is an AA converter LE with the new XP-G2 for my Haiku for the great beam and tint and the ability to run Eneloops.

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also have a datiLed 219 LE in a SunDrop XR-U head on a Moddoolar ti 18500 body. I like that little extra oomph, too.

(And you are the author of my mantra: Buy it, use it and love it. I use it in many aspects of my life, like hand bag shopping with my wife.)

nbp

Flashaholic
It's the only way to enjoy McGizmos. :)

It's been a long time since I read all the way through this thread myself; maybe I'll have to do that later. Lot's of fun posts to enjoy.

nbp

Flashaholic
For those who have oft lamented the price of the Haiku and wished for one in aluminum, you may be interested in the Malkoff MDC. It is very worthy light in its own right, and I feel a comparable alternative for those on a budget. You can find my thoughts on the MDC in this thread.

RUSH FAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know that this is an old thread, but I wanted to read NBP's 'love letter' to the Mcgizmo Haiku[emoji41]

I had sold mine over a year ago, and had missed it ever since.
Well, Don just mailed mine out, and I am very happy to have one again!
6d71ef7830e816a28efd299b15de127c.jpg

teckul

Newly Enlightened
Another bump and another thank you for your awesome review.

Between this and some dialogue elsewhere with @Archimedes this defined what I dropped coin on :thumbsup:

nbp

Flashaholic
You're very welcome; glad to help you spend your money, haha. Archimedes is very knowledgeable and helpful; he wouldn't steer you wrong. :thumbsup:

SN7

Newly Enlightened
Great read thanks for the essay and those that added to it. I have always loved flashlights but I need to add a Haiku to my collection.

nbp

Flashaholic
Thanks, you won't regret it!

I forgot the pics are all broken from dumb image shack. I have to get back to fix that. Oops!

Ladd

Enlightened
The new HIVE converter is offered by Don at a small additional price. It has no PWM at current levels above 15mA.

blankc72

Newly Enlightened
I take that as a Yes, it still uses PWM:

I continue to recognize that most people do not care about PWM, since apparently McGizmo, Malkoff, and HDS all use PWM.

The McGizmo AA converter uses constant current but it's the only one.

ven

Flashaholic
I take that as a Yes, it still uses PWM:

I continue to recognize that most people do not care about PWM, since apparently McGizmo, Malkoff, and HDS all use PWM.

If i cant see it(out of my range) then i honestly dont care, flip side is tint consistency(and i believe more frugal on the mah)

Great thread , missed this one, amazes me how much info is on cpf and so much yet i have not read!!

My edc, has an xpl HI 4000k and dr jones firmware..................still its in need of a tana triple nichia 219B!!! which will happen at some point:) 3a is toooo much for this light, hot within 30s(saying that it does cool down surprisingly quick!!) , 30% power is about right for decent output / decent run times i have found..........happy medium.