McLux: Old Dog - New Tricks (so17xa & Mc2SE)

McGizmo

Flashaholic
As most of you know already, the so17xa is bringing new life to some of those lights which were limited to optics or the McFlood reflector in the past. I got a couple samples of the IMS reflectors in the mail today so I built a McLux head with a BB700 and LuxII to see how this reflector fits in with the other photon management schemes. Having the 2 stage switch lets me use a BB700 on a 1x123 power pak without feeling like I'm pushing the light too hard.

reflector-shot.jpg

The beam is very similar to that of a KL4 with a lux III or the new Arc4. I believe I am repeating what many of you have observed already. I join with the others in stating that this is really a cool addition to the "bag of tricks"! I can see some new life for the 1" diameter heads of many of the popular lights. I think some type of spacer will be required for some retro-fits. I used a small O-ring around the lip of the reflector in this installation. Did I mention that these reflectors are cool! Thanks go to Greg at IMS for letting me in on the fun! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Since I love to do beam shots, I decided to pair this light with a PR-T also on an E1e with BB700 and two stage switch for comparisons.

both.jpg

Not a lot of difference in size and weight but the beams from these two do take you two different places.....

beam-shots.jpg

The distance to target was 36" and all images were taken in manual exposure with the same settings. The color correction is very interesting as these beams all are much closer to a "tintless white" to the naked eye. You can see in the beam shots that the so17xa has a more even dispersion of light with the larger hotspot and less radical drop off in the corona into the flood portion. Interestingly to me is the harsh contrast in the beam transition on the PR-T initially makes it look like the flood is dimmer than it really is. If you look at the grey lines in the grid, I think you can see what I mean.

I have posted some more information and a couple extra pictures on a web page HERE .

The so17xa provides a great beam in a nice small package! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif Me like. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I knew it wouldn't be long. Beauty of a beamspot. Wonderful job, Don.

Dibs!

Britt

bald1

Enlightened
Don,

I too received samples from Greg today and installed the reflector in a LB Micra. You've nailed it with your statement that "The so17xa provides a great beam in a nice small package!" And what you and I among others got were pre-production samples. Greg says the full production run will be better to include a much tighter hot spot. See my comments in the Longbow Owners thread in the LED forum /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Now to add your McCapsule to this little puppy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

--Bob

Atomic6

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don-Nice work /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif You are a very curious individual arn't you? Me too!
handWHT.jpg

Was that a Cannon Hand Towel? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I love those shots of your shop. You should see my fly tying digs!

jtice

Flashaholic
Those seem really nice!

Are they dropin replacements?
Or do they need any triming?

Definately a great addition to a modders options.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
jtice,

I don't expect these to be drop ins but aside from trimming away the legs in some cases, I expect a centering bushing or ring on the front end will be required in some instances. I haven't really had a chance to evaluate these but I suspect that a simple collar could be made that would give the reflector the same effective profile of the NX05 and allow for a drop in replacement, in may cases. I have drawings for both and do plan to take a look when time permits. I expect that some solutions will be coming from the modders collective at somepoint.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Until we get to see what the "real" production pieces are that Future will be selling, it's difficult to make any final evaluation on these reflectors. I also got a 27 MM which is very similar in size to the PR reflector. From what I could gather with a quick look see, I'll stick with the PR. Besides, I seem to be a bit comitted there anyway. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

JollyRoger

Enlightened
Great pics, Don. I guess I'll build up my last two McLuxes with these! Just what these lights needed...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

4x4Dragon

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
McGizmo said:
Until we get to see what the "real" production pieces are that Future will be selling, it's difficult to make any final evaluation on these reflectors. I also got a 27 MM which is very similar in size to the PR reflector. From what I could gather with a quick look see, I'll stick with the PR. Besides, I seem to be a bit comitted there anyway. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

come on now, fill us in on more details with the 27mm /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

what don't you like about it? any pics? maybe next to a 30mm optic. im just trying to decide on either a Blaster 3P(in hopes of retrofitting the 27mm reflector) or a Maglite 3D LuxIII mod. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif it seems like im not gonna find out in time whether the 27mm will work or not as im on the preorder for the Blaster 3P. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*
Nice Don! New life breathed into old lights makes the bank account happy! I'm looking forward to these reflectors becoming available. With everyone else requesting samples, I thought I would take a back seat to keep from burdening IMS. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

My number one implementation for this reflector right now would be the Fire~Fly. I know I'm not alone in hoping that these new reflectors can make the venerable Fire~Fly an even better pocket light! It's one of the few lights I have left that still uses an optic.

BTW, Your shots of your workshop always make me jealous. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif My workshop/fly tying bench usually consists of either the kitchen table or a TV tray with everything scattered everywhere. Cleaning up after even the simplest project just sucks. I wish I could just leave all my tools out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon6.gif

Kiessling

Flashaholic
cool !!!
now ... you know what is coming from the idiot-side of CPF /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

--> how about a drop-in kit for duummies? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif
--> and an additional kit for Arc LS series ?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

bernhard

Darell

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
kakster said:
They are plastic i think. Beadblasting probably wont do much for beam quality.

[/ QUOTE ]Indeed they ARE plastic, and indeed bead blasting is NOT advised. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif

tylerdurden

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does the fire~fly use full-size NX-05 optics? I thought it used a turned-down NX-05. In that case, does IMS make a smaller reflector that might fit in the FF without modification?

wasabe64

Flashaholic*
The Fire~fly uses a trimmed-down NX05 or Fraen LP optic.

The S017xa reflector almost fits if you remove the skirt, and sand down the reflector body.

Don, great use of the reflector. The S017xa is almost a perfect fit in the McLux head (I just had to try it myself).

bindibadgi

Flashlight Enthusiast
What do you mean almost? Does that mean that with all that work, it still won't fit, and you have to start wearing away its length? Or do you mean that it will just be a snug fit?

Also, add me to the list who want some beamshots comparing the 27mm reflector and the 30mm optic!

Latest posts