MDs Lithium-Ion > Incandescent guide + compatability/comparison chart

Nite

Enlightened
I am thinking that the FM 1794 has a mix of Halogen added to the Xenon. Am I wrong here?

Bill

I think you are right Bill. The 1794 has a Halogen fill point, but Its not 100% pure halogen. I think you may be right about the mix. There is enough halogen to prevent blackening of the bulb, which is why halogen is used.

Metal burning off the filament redeposits itself on the filament, not the glass walls of the bulb. Making the bulb last longer, and stay bright white for its lifetime, unlike Xenon only.

recDNA

Flashaholic
That would be awesome! It was my first 9Volt tactical.. I used it to deter would be muggers.
That will greatly overdrive the bulb, giving 500-700 lumens? The bulb would blacken quickly. last alot less than 25 hours

You might prefer a WA 1111 or a FM 1794 with those two cells for more brightness and longer bulb life. they will last what seems like months of normal use. One is halogen the other xenon

check Luxluthors destructive incandescent bulb tests

search for threads started by luxluthor

I don't want to bother with set screws and bipin bulbs. I like buying the bulb and reflector all assembled and ready to go. I'm willing to sacrifice lumens and bulb life for convenience. If the WA 1111 or FM 1794 were sold on a website where I could use a charge card (I have no Paypal) and if they came already assembled with the right reflector for $30 I'd certainly try them.

"The bulb would blacken quickly. last alot less than 25 hours "

That was precisely the question I was asking. If 2 X 18500 does that it is an unsatisfactory set up. I won't do it. Another poster told me 2 X 18500 was ideal.

I looked at Luxluthor's thread but I couldn't understand it. Mdcod's thread seemed to indicate that 2 X 18500 was good with the P91

Last edited:

Nite

Enlightened
I don't want to bother with set screws and bipin bulbs. I like buying the bulb and reflector all assembled and ready to go. I'm willing to sacrifice lumens and bulb life for convenience. If the WA 1111 or FM 1794 were sold on a website where I could use a charge card (I have no Paypal) and if they came already assembled with the right reflector for $30 I'd certainly try them.

"The bulb would blacken quickly. last alot less than 25 hours "

That was precisely the question I was asking. If 2 X 18500 does that it is an unsatisfactory set up. I won't do it. Another poster told me 2 X 18500 was ideal.

I looked at Luxluthor's thread but I couldn't understand it. Mdcod's thread seemed to indicate that 2 X 18500 was good with the P91

Yes the SF P91 will be fantastic at about 320 lumens...

If you want a drop in just as easy as SF P91, I also suggest Lumens factory drop ins. they are better suited to this task and will last longer. they are designed for this voltage while the Surefire is not.

to quote MDCOD
Cell configuration: 2x18500

Bulb Options:
LF D26 ES-9: 7W, 116 - 76 lumen in 94 minutes
LF D26 SR-9: 10W, 162 - 105 lumen in 65 minutes
LF D26 HO-9: 12W, 217 - 139 lumen in 51 minutes
LF D26 EO-9: 15.5W, 272 - 171 lumen in 39 minutes
SF P90: 9.5W, 153 - 98 lumen in 67 minutes
SF P91: 20W, 320 - 170 lumen in 28 minutes

LF is lumens factory available from many sources. the Bulb Will last MUCH longer than a P91, the EO-9 almost as bright. Perhaps 4 times as many hours runtime. Maybe more.

But yes try the P91 if you already have one, at 320 lumens with 2x18500 you'll be amazed.:hitit:

(Not economical to use that bulb it will blacken fast. Its expensive that P91.)

you can also use two IMR 16340

THe LF bulbs are designed for that voltage, the surefire is not. But there's nothing like trying the P91 with that setup..while not "ideal" it is awesome and worth trying for 10 hours.

(Im sorry, while you can buy a 1794 installed in a socket already, that merchant does not yet take credit cards.)

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
I already have the P91 with 2 X IMR16340. I just wanted to increase runtime but not at the expense of bulb life.

Will the bulb last longer with 2 X 16340 or 2 X 18500?

mdocod

Flashaholic
The chart is off by a fair margin for the SF HOLAs (It was a best estimate at the time), recent testing shows these to be ~400+ torch lumen on fresh cells.

I have been using a pair of AW protected 18500s lately with an MN16 and really enjoying it. So far no bulb failure. (MN16 and P91 use either the same bulb or very similar bulbs).

Eric

ryan28801

Newly Enlightened
Wow. It was nice of you for taking the time to put this together. I need to keep reading, but so far it is very informative!!

Many Thanks!

Nite

Enlightened
Wow. It was nice of you for taking the time to put this together. I need to keep reading, but so far it is very informative!!

Many Thanks!

Yes thanks again to you MDOCOD for writing this article. Its an invaluable reference for me.:thanks: I refer to this thread as my Incandescent flashlight bible.:). I also read this thread often.

It's sticky status is well deserved.:thumbsup:

I already have the P91 with 2 X IMR16340. I just wanted to increase runtime but not at the expense of bulb life.

Will the bulb last longer with 2 X 16340 or 2 X 18500?

It will last (runtime) at least three times longer with 18500 (1500mah) over 16340(550). Lico cells have 1/3 more capacity than IMR, and the 18500 about double in Size and capacity compared to a 16340 LiCo cell. The IMR will run at a lower voltage faster than large LiCo cells
The bulb life will not be much different. If you like what you see with 2x16340, you just see that for longer per charge. Since the voltage is slightly higher with 2x18500 over the run compared to 16340, the bulb life will be just slightly less. but the difference is so minor its hard to say.
lovecpf
Basically if I remember what MDOCOD taught me, the Voltage will sag less on the larger 18500 LiCo cells than with the two little IMR 16340..so it will stay brighter, for longer.... You also get alot more runtime with just a little less bulb life. However youd have to recharge 3 times as often to save that little bit of bulb life.

Its an awesome setup only because your overdriving the bulb.:devil: However that 400+ lumen overdrive means alot less bulb life than 25 hours at 120 Lumens on 3volt CR123 disposable primary SF cells. Ironic isn't it? If you want max bulb life, dont use any 2 rechargeable Lithium ion cells at 8.2 volts. Two 4.2 volt Rechargeable cells run at a higher voltage than three 3volt primary disposable CR123 SF cells.

Its a trade I would, and have, made.

You get so much more runtime that any additional small loss of bulb life would be well worth it to me.

I would guess you can recharge the 18500s about 3 dozen times before killing the P91.

Maybe 20 hours bulb life instead of 25? By the time the bulb is ready to burn out it will be very black anyway, with any batteries. Thats the one reason I don't like Xenon bulbs as much as halogen. They blacken before the bulb filament gives out..I always replace P90 and P91s before they die on their own anyway,

these are just guesstimates, but I can't be that far off.

The shorter answer is, more bulb life, slightly more, with two little IMR because their voltage sags quickly under that huge load. But if your going to overdrive the bulb, do it with two 18500 Black lico AW cells.:devil: The longest bulb life would be with 3 Primary surefire cells, but that'd be no fun at all. You've already lost 90% of the bulb life your sacrificing anyway (maybe 15 instead of 25 hours) by switching to 2 Rechargeables, so go all the way I say. It wont be physically that much bigger but it will run much longer. Same size as a 9P again:ohgeez:

:welcome:

Last edited:

flashfiend

Enlightened
Other than the Strion, do any of you know of a bulb that will work on one Li-Ion that fits in a G4 socket or T1.5 socket? Anything better than the Strion in that regard?

flashfiend

Enlightened
Other than the Strion, do any of you know of a bulb that will work on one Li-Ion that fits in a G4 socket or T1.5 socket? Anything better than the Strion in that regard?

Any suggestions at all? I'm guessing there is nothing better than the Strion at this point.

skillet

Enlightened
You, know I still find myself coming back to this thread time after time... A must read and often at that!!!

Ahhhhh... My poor post count... Must have the stomach bug... It's falling off to nuttin'

Last edited:

Sam Z

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for this thread it is very helpful *tagged for reference*

Flashiphiliac

Newly Enlightened
At just under 6yrs old this thread is still a great source of info.
It had the answer to which e1e upgrade bulb I can use with an rcr123 and a bunch of other stuff I didn't even know I wanted to know.
Thanks for putting all this info together. It is well worth the time it takes to read.

Nite

Enlightened
I don't understand something. I just don't get it. "Batteries in serial connection will add voltage, NOT amperage. " I know batteries in series increases voltage but don't get why I don't have amperage spread out over multiple serial cells. Is it because amperage is pulled from each cell equally? I know this a math question, math is not my strong suit.

So after hearing from Moddoo and FiveMega I have two questions.

Moddoo: "Our "H" triples actually deliver a total of 4.65A total to the 3 LEDs when run from 2 cells.
Without getting too technical, they will not demand more than 3A per cell in any configuration."

I guess I should ask for the technical answer!

1: If a drop in pulls 4.65 amps but wont draw more than 3amps from any one cell, (making it safe for 1 or 2x18500 lico) why is that? Boost driver?

When asking if I can switch chemistry:

FiveMega: " AW's protected 18650 34P can NOT deliver spike of 1909
1909 is a 5.5 Amp lamp with spike of over 12 Amps.
Batteries in serial connection will add voltage, NOT amperage. "

2: Can I use 3x AW 18650 3400P to drive a 1909 because 3x 3.4amps is 20.4 amps! ?

PS: MD. have you seen this? http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...Li-Ion-batteries-vs-recent-fires&goto=newpost

skillet

Enlightened
I've been running a MN-15 wit 2X18650 for sometime and just purchased a 3X17670.. This thread should be required reading for any flashaholic so I thought it deserved a bump!!

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Last edited: