Milky L1 Information Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
milkyspit said:
BTW, just for the heck of it, I'd like to try a WEEK OF ML-1 BUILDS. Price is $175 plus $5 shipping to USA, $10 shipping international. Insurance extra. Default emitter this week will be UWAJ, but other bins possible... see the color comparison listing a few posts above this one! PM me or email scott[at]release1{dot}com with interest, or just send over the appropriate Paypal... put your CPF username in the comments section, please!
Cash (Preferred): ppcash(AATT)QuarryRun(DDOOTT)com
Credit Card: ppcard(AATT)QuarryRun(DDOOTT)com
This is an experiment to see if batching up the builds will make things more time efficient. Now's the time!

Hmm... experiment... okay, what the heck! Free shipping to USA, $5 international. :)

If anyone wants an ML1, you can also see my thread here. It will come directly from milkyspit & I believe the above 'promo' shipping still applies but for a short time more only. :D

alantch

Enlightened
Here's another shot showing the size comparison between the ML-1 and the L-1 (new).
ml1andl1standingpg0.jpg

Closeup view of the business-end of the ML-1 and McR-18 reflector.
ml1frontcloseupya2.jpg

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alantch, those are GREAT photos... especially the closeup of the head! Man, you can even see the bond wires inside the LED dome. How the heck did you get such great shots?
:bow: :bow:

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Milky L1 Amber Prototyped, Now Available

On a hunch, I sourced some LuxIII high brightness amber LEDs the other day. Today they arrived and I went to work building the first-ever prototype Milky L1 Amber... the results were so good that the prototype became my personal light! :eek:

Looks like this thing is pumping out at least 45 lumens and there's a good range between high and low beams. Current draw on a primary 123 cell would suggest the runtime will actually be LONGER than with the white ML1... estimated runtime for the ML1-Amber on high beam is 3 hours!

There's one other interesting characteristic... with an RCR123 cell, current draw actually increases and output brightens, which suggests the RCR123 kicks the light into overdrive... high beam output in that scenario increases... my guess is 80-90 lumens when running in overdrive.

Beam is gorgeous save for a pinpoint mark in the very center of the hotspot (all colored Luxeons tend to show that sort of beam pattern)... a light diffusing film removes the pinmark without noticeably reducing overall output. Reflector is McR-18, and the beam with diffusing film is drop-dead gorgeous! :D

Bottom line, the results were excellent! :naughty:

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
One More Benefit to the L1 Amber Head...

On a whim I tried mounting the L1 amber head on an E1E body, running in direct drive off a single 123 primary cell. Turns out this works GREAT! A fresh cell delivered about 900mA to the emitter and output was superb! Of course, this combination falls a little short for extended use as the heatsinking is limited due to size of such a small light... plus you lose the benefits of the L1, including regulation, dual brightness, etc... it does look, though, like amber is the way to go if you want an emergency light capable of running, and running very well! on an alternative body if need be. :)

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
nuggett said:
Will a Cree work in this?

Nuggett, yes, I'm condifent a Cree would work in this... the issue will be finding a really good reflector to fit inside the L1 old-style head. I'm working on it but haven't found anything up to the standards of the Milky L1 just yet... I get pretty particular about performance of this particular build... :)

nuggett

Enlightened
Thanks Scott
and BTW NJ huh? What exit? Formerly from Montclair myself.

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
nuggett said:
Thanks Scott
and BTW NJ huh? What exit? Formerly from Montclair myself.

Nuggett, other end of the state... NW rather than NE. Almost all the way to PA. BTW, I believe you made a deal with Flashlight on a Milky L1? It's on the way to you right now... went out in today's mail. :D

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
russtang said:

Russ, did I reply already, or never get the PM? I went through about 100 PMs yesterday and through the wee hours of the morning... hope I didn't miss yours! If I did, please resend and accept my apologies on sheer carelessness.
:thinking:

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
milkyspit,

Damn you! I think I've got to have one of these now! Incredible! <muttering> must . . . resist . . . must not . . . spend . . . more money</muttering>

Awesome work. Insipiring!

Sable

Enlightened
Another testimonial! Hooray.

I've had my ML1 for about a week and a half now, and I have to say that already I almost wonder how I got along without it. For a little background: I'm a syasdmin/network engineer in my "real job," and a stage lighting tech as a hobby.

In the past several days, I've hauled this light to places that aren't any more exciting than a dust-filled computer desk - and the low mode is just perfect for seeing where all the cables go. I usually do that by touch, but in the cases where that's not all that easy, this light is great. But it's also gone to more exciting places, too.

As a part of my job, I routinely get flown to the Kensington gold mine, where my company has part of a long-range wireless network system and comm towers to service the mine. This is a cold, dirty, hostile kind of place for equipment. As would be expected, the light worked beautifully for poking around the myriad unlighted communications areas, as well as inspecting antenna mounts and connectors in the dark (which happens at around 4:30pm around now). High mode is great for anything you need more light for - the beam throws a goodly distance for looking into bushes or under things, is a dazzling bright white and has no artifacts.

As another part of that, the mountaintop comm towers and sheds (of course they don't have any lights...) are another perfect place to put the light to use. From checking serial numbers to rebuilding breaker boxes, the ML1 has served me well. It has also, I like to think, convinced a couple of bears that the tower wasn't a good place to find their last set of berries - flashed them from about 20 feet up, they grumbled, and wandered off. Of course, it might have been the shotgun, too. The Alaskan wilderness is fun! :D

The light weighs almost nothing, or that's how it feels to me at least. It's clipped in my jeans pocket, and never gets in the way. This is also my first SureFire light, and I really like the two-stage tailcap mechanism - it's superbly easy to work with one hand, and has two modes of brightness instantly.

The low-mode is similarly excellent for stage work, where you need to see up on catwalks without ruining your low-light vision much. It lights up the whole walkway, both with the hotspot and beautiful corona. Simply amazing.

My previous light for all these tasks was the venerable (and, now I see, somewhat outclassed) incandescent Mag-AA. I still have some affection for this old workhorse, as its yellow, ringy beam has seen me through many a dark corridor - but I must say that the ML1 is superior in every way. I imagine the MagLED-AA is a much more fair comparison, but I'm putting this one out there anyway.

Just tonight, the ML1 came in handy for helping a friend of mine locate some lost keys in a parking lot. The beam's width from corona edge is both usefully large and usefully bright, meaning we could search a lot of the lot at a time. It took a while (because we started looking in the wrong spot), but it was the ML1's beam that glinted back off of a set of keys.

I've run this light for several hours since I got it, mixed with high and low modes and the light is still very much in regulation with the supplied SureFire 123 cell. I'm kind of wondering when the battery will die - but I have a pile of Energizer 123s ready to pop in.

Put simply, the ML1 is almost startlingly perfect for what I do in both "real life" and hobbies. I live in a dark place, so having a light is extremely handy, but the light has shown to be more than worth it in every way since. I am thrilled with my purchase - and might even grab a couple more of these just to stash around for power outages. Until someone comes out with a lithium primary D-cell, I think these little lights might just supplant my collection of Mags that currently roll, bounce, or sit around for my general lighitng purposes.

The light from the LuxIII is also just the right amount. A Cree XR-E would produce more light at the same drive level - but for what I've been using this light for, that would actually probably be too much. Now, I might buy a couple Cree lights for "Wow Factor," but I'm not sure as anything could convince me to leave this light behind, save my vision getting even worse than it already is.

I'm the kind of person that gladly pays for quality over anything else, and I feel my money was sublimely well-spent. I will be using this light until either I manage to break it (Stunningly unlikely, it's built like a tank) or it gets lost (similarly unlikely - I hope!).

For anyone looking for a nice, hand-sized every-day carry kind of light and had the cash to burn, I would point them at the ML1 in a heartbeat. This light ain't never going to be a shelf queen - and in a year or so, I'm sure the pictures of where it's been and what it's done will be entertaining. And after that, it'll still keep shinin' on.

Thanks so much to Scott for providing this product and service. I'm simply astounded - and deeply impressed.

Last edited:

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
MSaxatilus just posted a thread with the usual great photos, reviewing THREE versions of the Milky L1: white; cyan; and amber! :D

Thread is over here.

Some photos shown here for the impatient... ;)

img-ML1-A-3.jpg

img-ML1-A-5.jpg

img-ML1-A-4.jpg

img-ML1-A-2.jpg

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got my first SureFire new-style L1 opened and installed a Cree emitter working with the TIROS optic. Here's a quick photo snapped while the light was open...

img-l1-new-opened-artsy.jpg

phypaa

Newly Enlightened
Milky I am not sure if you are still making milky L1, if so how can I get one?

I have pm you before and waiting for your reply. Thx

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
phypaa said:
Milky I am not sure if you are still making milky L1, if so how can I get one?

I have pm you before and waiting for your reply. Thx

Phpaa, thought I'd already replied... but maybe not? :thinking:

Anyway, PM incoming. Yes the ML1 is still in production. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.