min-T CNC LED bike light

ktronik

Enlightened
Re: minT

Geez, how did I miss this thread...:ohgeez:

I didn't assemble that awesome head from the last project :sigh: and you come up with this freakin kick butt mini flame thrower...That is one awesome light Dom:twothumbs

what, you have not done the first head yet?!?!?!... well if you don't eat all your dinner, you may not get any desert :)

ktronik

Enlightened

OK, so how much should I pawn by dog for to get one of these?

No, wait... I don't have a dog. :stupid:

well depending on the dog you get... 1 to 1/2 a good dog...

so US$350 for a full head (pre-built) using seoul LEDs

K

ktronik

Enlightened

I was wondering WHICH grey circle was being asked about.

The one on the back of the thing is the power wire via. The one on the top sitting in the depression is the switch.

As for application - I use my original Dom Delight on my MTB, on my road bike, on my tandem, and sometimes on my unicycle. Talk about hard to mount!

Hey Darell,

help me make a RF/IR remote switch to switch all lights high/low beam, on both the head & bar @ the same time... found a few I/R kits cheap, but a little too big...

maybe still a pipe dream...see how we go...

K

Darell

Flashaholic

Hey Darell,

help me make a RF/IR remote switch to switch all lights high/low beam, on both the head & bar @ the same time... found a few I/R kits cheap, but a little too big...

maybe still a pipe dream...see how we go...

K

Man, wouldn't that be cool. Let's also beam the battery power wirelessly while we're at it. That would add a nice measure of flexibility to the system. :)

ktronik

Enlightened

Man, wouldn't that be cool. Let's also beam the battery power wirelessly while we're at it. That would add a nice measure of flexibility to the system. :)

Mate, i think your takin the ****...:devil:

you got it all wrong... man you are so behind...we are using the NEW sugar batterys...just insert one powerbar in to the 'sugar input regulator' & your ready for 12hrs...

look a simple IR/IF circuit would be pretty easy to hook up in solidstate, but is a little to big for the system...

"I know"... a 'reed switch' on your camelback's strap...& a magnet on your, non drinking hand's wrist... so as you wave your hand past your CB strap, you change the light's power setting on your helmet...

:whistle:

Last edited:

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast

Very very impressive work.
I also went to the website and saw the last unit's build images. Extreemely nice.
makes me want to get back into cycleng just to have an excuse to buy a couple of these.
Sorry but are they on a quick disconnect mount?
I am afraid they wouldn't last 30 seconds in certain parts of LA.
Any thoughts of creating a body mount which holds the light and allows for access to the ui converting it into a Flashlight?
I know crazy...
Nice very nice stuff.
Yaesmofo

Hi
minT is short for 'mini triple' -my imaginative name for my new bike light.hehe
1102676672_e7471982c9_o.jpg

1101824157_af1b460b5e_o.jpg

1101824515_913abb8965_o.jpg

Running the bFlex and Seouls -will weigh in at around 80g.
Once i finish the aluminum mount -i'll re-weigh.

Dimensions are
47mm high
41.5 wide
35 long (not counting wire holder)
O-ring seals

Cheers
Dom

dom

Enlightened

Hey -sorry about no updates lately -will have one wired up tonite.
Ktronic is on the job as well -and will probably get it nicer.

Been busy doing courses for work -bit of a brain overload
I did say i would show all the balls-ups -but the wiring job i did last night was a shocker:huh: -so i won't show that.
Well -the wiring was ok -but the shrink wrapping needs more attention.

There will be no trouble with operating with gloves as others have said -there is little tactile feedback as the switch is chosen to be activated easily -so you will only know you have pressed it with gloves on by the light output.

Here is a pic showing the wiring with the glue shrinkwrap cut off (VERY hard to get off) and glove -very easy to press the button from any direction.

1254950669_bc480442e3_o.jpg

The optics are very efficient -we were surprised with them being smaller than the single optics made for Seouls
25deg WIDE and 10deg SPOT

1254736261_c5c0a45901_o.jpg

TB -you have been very slack -bad boy.Too much time on those incredible titanium creations of yours:)

Thanks Mofo -As to a convertible flashlight -i have thought of that and there have been a couple inquiry's as to the same. A 4 pac of 123s.
Would require a lot of reworking of wiring -don't know if it would be feasible but will look into it.

Everyone wants a quick release -with the planned mount we are doing -it would be an easy steal i'm afraid unless you wire-tied it in place.

We looking at IR and beamed power now:paypal: Beam me up Scotty.

Cheers
Dom

dom

Enlightened

Sorry in advance if these questions sound dumb...
-Is that grey circle the on/off/brightness button? If so, is it operational with gloved fingers?
-What is the intended application? Road? Off-road? I cannot tell from the reflectors, which seem a bit small to me. (Don't take that as critisism, I honestly don't know much about reflectors.)
-Is the dimpled glass for flood or is that intended for wide spread (a tail light)?

-brian

Hi Brian Welcome to CPF -Ktronic answered your questions well.

Will be lending one of these to my local bike shop as they seem to like lights alot and have plenty of them.

Was in there the other week buying stuff i didn't need and saw they had a 10W HID in there .They fired it up for me and i said that i think my LEDs were a bit brighter (original light Ktronic and i made)
Well -the LED certainly did outbright it by a fair margin.

And this light is brighter still with the more efficient optics.
So i will ask them to do some comparison shots with the one i lend them
and post them here later.
Though i will set the max current (1amp) down a bit to make it more fair.

Cheers
Dom

anewtinker

Newly Enlightened

Hi Brian Welcome to CPF -Ktronic answered your questions well.

Will be lending one of these to my local bike shop as they seem to like lights alot and have plenty of them.

Cheers
Dom

Thanks. I've been looking at various lights from commercial manufacturers for quite some time. Your's look so cool by comparison.

I've been running a 10watt PlanetBike Alias, plus a Cateye EL-300 (as a climbing light) on the bars. For the helmet it's a PT EOS. I get by, just barely. I've been thinking that when the halogen blows, that instead of replacing the blub I'd go completely LED. I may hasten that decision because of cool designs like this.

-brian

Darell

Flashaholic
You know what this thing needs? A REALLY good UI, that's what! And whoo-boy are we getting close! As of this writing, ALL features are finally in place and we're down to tweaking the timing. Yay.

Last edited:

ktronik

Enlightened

Thanks. I've been looking at various lights from commercial manufacturers for quite some time. Your's look so cool by comparison.

I've been running a 10watt PlanetBike Alias, plus a Cateye EL-300 (as a climbing light) on the bars. For the helmet it's a PT EOS. I get by, just barely. I've been thinking that when the halogen blows, that instead of replacing the blub I'd go completely LED. I may hasten that decision because of cool designs like this.

-brian

as Dom is off-line I will answer this...

Let me say, you gota start somewhere... better to be on the bike riding than @ home worrying that you an't got the right stuff!!

I hope you have modded your PT EOS to a seoul / cree emitter!??!

once you do that, your sweet for the helmet...

if you got the bucks buy something nice,if not, just build up you own... these days its easy... everything is done for ya...drivers / kits ect...back in my day...:twothumbs

you can do it man... get with the future....hey, we will help you cross over!!

K

ktronik

Enlightened
You know what this thing needs? A REALLY good UI, that's what! And whoo-boy are we getting close! As of this writing, ALL features are finally in place and we're down to tweaking the timing. Yay.

Ooh really...

do we get a 'ramp down' (force dim) triggered by a voltage warning setting??

happy if its just a force 'backup level'...

so you would see the light flash, "o'dear my battery is getting low"...
but I still got to get home...guess I will keep going & let it flash...this is the time they must remind them self, my battery is worth $100 or whatever, maybe I should be careful...but how do I know how long I can run like this...then any smart person, should select the lowest setting & limp home on that...

some people don't think like that... so a ramp down...after flashing... may be a good thing to be able to turn on...

If you already have this, then well done!!

K

Sorry, I forgot to ask for the USB programing interface... thanks...

Last edited:

Darell

Flashaholic
Ooh really...

do we get a 'ramp down' (force dim) triggered by a voltage warning setting??

happy if its just a force 'backup level'...

so you would see the light flash, "o'dear my battery is getting low"...
but I still got to get home...guess I will keep going & let it flash...this is the time they must remind them self, my battery is worth $100 or whatever, maybe I should be careful...but how do I know how long I can run like this...then any smart person, should select the lowest setting & limp home on that...

some people don't think like that... so a ramp down...after flashing... may be a good thing to be able to turn on...

If you already have this, then well done!!

K

Sorry, I forgot to ask for the USB programing interface... thanks...

I should probably cover this in the UI thread... but since you asked - no. It is up to the user what he wants to do after the light has indicated a low battery. UIB2 now offers TWO levels of indication - and they are set independently. So you can have a pre-warn, and then a REALLY dead battery warning... or anything inbetween. You can be alerted to any Vin level you like, and then YOU can determine what action to take. There may be a time when the circuit wants to save you from damaging your battery, and your wellbeing could depend on being able to us up those last few electrons. Maybe you just need a couple more minutes of bright light to end the ride. I want that choice. It wouldn't be hard to force the level lower when a certain V is reached... but we're gonna leave that action up to the user. I want the choice to destroy my battery if it means getting out of the woods in good shape.

ktronik

Enlightened
I should probably cover this in the UI thread... but since you asked - no. It is up to the user what he wants to do after the light has indicated a low battery. UIB2 now offers TWO levels of indication - and they are set independently. So you can have a pre-warn, and then a REALLY dead battery warning... or anything inbetween. You can be alerted to any Vin level you like, and then YOU can determine what action to take. There may be a time when the circuit wants to save you from damaging your battery, and your wellbeing could depend on being able to us up those last few electrons. Maybe you just need a couple more minutes of bright light to end the ride. I want that choice. It wouldn't be hard to force the level lower when a certain V is reached... but we're gonna leave that action up to the user. I want the choice to destroy my battery if it means getting out of the woods in good shape.

I hear ya...choice

Way OT:

maybe the second level of indication, can have a feature, that can be turned on or off...

maybe that could be 'force low level'... so on second indication, option to 'force low level'

I hear ya again...dam ktronik, should have jumped on the UIB2 thread when he had a chance, now we all done & don't want to stuff around anymore with stuff that doesn't really matter...

So I guess I am saying, thanks for going to all the effort in the first place!!!

:whistle:

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: UIB2 UIB2 UIB2

Darell

Flashaholic
A big part of this is that the circuit can be used with any battery chemistry and capacity. If you know enough about the battery being used to set the levels appropriately - then you likely also know how you'd like to treat your battery. There is no one best way to "save" the various types of batteries, so it really is best to leave it up to the individual. If the circuit were sold bundled with a battery and light, things would be much different, and this would make some sense. But out there in the wilds where builders will use these for anything and everything - we need it to be entirely flexible.

I'm going to copy these comments onto the UIB2 thread, and then I'll post a few more things there...

ktronik

Enlightened
Careful now. I've banned myself before, and I won't hesitate to do it again!

Looking for input on the UIB2 thread...

You now see what trouble battery's are!!!

Thats why I run my (bar mounted) CNC LED bike light from the DYNAMO hub!!...still get 900ma (into 3 crees)... so still uber bright, but worry free... its so liberating!!! the real shut up & ride factor, I love it... if I want to ride for 5hrs...well my lights are keen too...but then if I want to go for another ride straight after, I am also sweet...err & tired... :grin2:

the faster I go the brighter they are...its like a 'auto level' or something... only on the downhill does it pull the 10w for super bright...most of the time on the flat it is pulling 2-4w...& you really can't feel that loss in a modern dyno hub, that weighs only 484g... given that I have to have a hub anyway...-say 200g from that...so extra 200g...for a unlimited capacity system!! OHHh yes I could only ride for 50,000 hrs using cree...way to chop my ride short!!! :)

I only run a lithium 14.4v pack in the camelbak (for the headlamp)

run the head around 500-600ma... so my 4Ahr li-po... gives around 4-8hr burn time...depending on output...

to be true... for 24hr racing...from batts only... I would need @ least 3 battery's + a backup... hhmmm lots of money for lipo/lion...

last 'world 24hr' in Canada... (for the team I was working for) their was a little flood...all the batterys got wet...kinda got a little warm...hhhmmm... back away from the battery box & RUN!!!

anyway, when the charge tent goes down or the main geny runs out of juice, I will still be lapping around with light...

Ktronik