• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Mini Turbohead M2-XML2 Direct Drive

trubltmols

Newly Enlightened
Got mine put together today, awesome bright! Thanks for the info on what's needed to run alternate batts, great info.

richstag

Enlightened
Congrats!! Awesome bright is a great description. I still don't have any single xml2 lights that come close to even touching this heavyweight.

Got mine put together today, awesome bright! Thanks for the info on what's needed to run alternate batts, great info.

BingoBongo

Newly Enlightened
Mine arrieved last Week.Very nice peace of hardware.
I done a "quick and dirty" runtime test.
Here are my eye results with fresh out of the box Energizer Lithiums L91:

Total runtime to useful moonlight,i think 5 Lumens: 20h30min
The first 10h at ~200 Lumens no visible drop for me.
The next 6h it drops to around ~100 Lumens
The Last 4h30min the output falls from ~100 to ~5 Lumens.

I do the Test only with my eyes,no Sphere or other Technic Equiqment:)

Last edited:

Robone

Newly Enlightened
In this direct drive format, what difference does battery discharge rate make? The Eagletac 3400mah I'm running in this light is 4a-5a. The AW 3400 is 6.8a. I know these are the limits set by ICR. Would the AW give more output?

DellSuperman

Flashlight Enthusiast
In this direct drive format, what difference does battery discharge rate make? The Eagletac 3400mah I'm running in this light is 4a-5a. The AW 3400 is 6.8a. I know these are the limits set by ICR. Would the AW give more output?
Yup, higher discharge cells will push more current into the emitter since there is no driver (and tail switch since most uses ZR) to limit the current draw.

KeeblerElf

Enlightened
Mine arrieved last Week.Very nice peace of hardware.
I done a "quick and dirty" runtime test.
Here are my eye results with fresh out of the box Energizer Lithiums L91:

Total runtime to useful moonlight,i think 5 Lumens: 20h30min
The first 10h at ~200 Lumens no visible drop for me.
The next 6h it drops to around ~100 Lumens
The Last 4h30min the output falls from ~100 to ~5 Lumens.

I do the Test only with my eyes,no Sphere or other Technic Equiqment:)

Wow. Is this with 1 or 2 of the L91s in the light?

KeeblerElf

Enlightened
There's an opposites thing with regulated vs DD lights. Regulation (see our triple) protects the battery from over discharge but the regulation itself can draw power to fast from smaller cells (risk to the cell). DD drops output to match smaller cells, preventing to fast a power draw, so the cell is fine. But DD has no protection from to large (to low resistance) a cell (risk to the LED). You can pretty much run any cell, with the following exceptions:

No IMR
One cell only (nothing over 4.5v)
Don't discharge farther than is safe for the chem of the cell

I notice that the current offering is XPL instead of XML2; does this rule still apply for the different emitter? More generally, can we expect the same electronic versatility, but with a tighter beam (if I'm correctly remembering the XPL properties)?

DellSuperman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes.. The electrical aspect of the XP-L is the same as the XM-L2
Beam wise, i am not sure cause i dont have a XP-L flashlight yet

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
In terms of time, the XPL is like an XML3. But most of the changes are in the base itself. So the importance of XPL vs XML2 is 95% about being able to install it in formerly XPG only platforms. Our M2 setup already has an XM platform so the change to XP for us, is mostly a stocking issue: XPLs are more versatile while being at least as good, so theres no reason to buy more XML.

Robone

Newly Enlightened
Dell thanks for your response. I have a few more questions for you or whomever wants to answer. I have both heads, xm-l2 and xp-l. So I decided , Hey! I'll measure the amperage output at the battery. The xp-l measured roughly 20% less. I used the same battery and even swapped the bodies ( c2/6p ). The problem is that I don't know how to use that info. I know just enough to get myself in trouble, as I've done here. Fully charged amps at tail cap: XP-L=3.2a; XM-L2=3.6a. With that, several questions arise. Is the difference in measurement between the two due to the emitters being different? In this Direct Drive format does amperage measurement at tail cap tell me anything about amperage going into the emitter and so on to roughly estimating lumen output? If so, and I'm using batteries that allow 6.8amps shouldn't my measurements be higher? I am obviously missing something because this light has "4.5+ amps to the LED", so I thought that using the recommended battery it would be 6.8amps. IN NO WAY AM I QUESTIONING ANYTHING ABOUT OVEREADY AND THEIR CLAIMS OR THE INTEGRITY OF THESE LIGHTS. I AM NOT QUESTIONING THESE LIGHTS PER SE, JUST TRYING TO LEARN ABOUT POWER, ETC. AND BEING DIRECT DRIVE A SIMPLER PLACE TO START!

Last edited:

KeeblerElf

Enlightened
Dell thanks for your response. I have a few more questions for you or whomever wants to answer. I have both heads, xm-l2 and xp-l. So I decided , Hey! I'll measure the amperage output at the battery. The xp-l measured roughly 20% less. I used the same battery and even swapped the bodies ( c2/6p ). The problem is that I don't know how to use that info. I know just enough to get myself in trouble, as I've done here. Fully charged amps at tail cap: XP-L=3.2a; XM-L2=3.6a. With that, several questions arise. Is the difference in measurement between the two due to the emitters being different? In this Direct Drive format does amperage measurement at tail cap tell me anything about amperage going into the emitter and so on to roughly estimating lumen output? If so, and I'm using batteries that allow 6.8amps shouldn't my measurements be higher? I am obviously missing something because this light has "4.5+ amps to the LED", so I thought that using the recommended battery it would be 6.8amps. IN NO WAY AM I QUESTIONING ANYTHING ABOUT OVEREADY AND THEIR CLAIMS OR THE INTEGRITY OF THESE LIGHTS. I AM NOT QUESTIONING THESE LIGHTS PER SE, JUST TRYING TO LEARN ABOUT POWER, ETC. AND BEING DIRECT DRIVE A SIMPLER PLACE TO START!

Here's what I'm thinking:

My guess is that your "up to 6.8A" limit is due to the battery's being 3400mAh, and that you've simply doubled the capacity to get 6.8A. In this case, that's simply an estimate for the maximum safe current. Whether that current is drawn depends on the circuit in which the battery is placed. The DD circuit has no way to pull that much current.

The differences between your current draw measurements, to me, are not that large. I feel like these could be explained by the different emitter efficiencies and individual emitter variances.

As to why both currents aren't higher - that probably has to do with the resistance in the circuit, both due to your battery and your host. Are you using a Zero Rez tailcap variant?

But I'm no expert.

Robone

Newly Enlightened
Yes, I'm using a ZR. That was one thing I was thinking about: can a driver draw more current from the battery or push more to the emitter than DD? I WAS thinking that DD= that 6.8 amps just gushing out of the battery because DD is "wide open". And like you said "resistance in the circuit", the $17 dollar dmm I have might add some. Also wouldn't amperage measured AFTER the LED (tail cap) be lower anyway? Bottom line for me is: can amperage at the tail cap be used to roughly estimate lumen output at the emitter? Probably not?

Last edited: