• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Mini Turbohead M2-XML2 Direct Drive

Moddoo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Guys,

Accurately measuring current in a system like this is quite difficult.

I am building some more heads soon and will get you some more details on the performance of the XPL version.

Thanks for your support!

Robone

Newly Enlightened
Though I'm new to CFP, I've been into flashlights for a while. That said, I'm far from an expert. The XP-l is not as cool as the XM-l but still very cool. The beam pattern itself is exactly the same ( using the same reflector, as told to me by OR). The hot spot is actually slightly more defined but doesn't necessarily give more throw. Although to me it seems to throw a tiny bit further.

Last edited:

tab665

Flashlight Enthusiast
any chance of trying out one of the de-domed XP-L's from the wasp project in one of these heads?

for the record, ive gotten some good use out of my mini-turbo head which came to an ugly end earlier this week when i was messing around with my parts. i recently got a 9P to run a lumens factory IMR-9 bulb on 2x18490's. i decided to see if i could see a difference in brightness while using 2x18350's on my 6P host that i normally keep my mini-turbo head on. after my experiment i switched the heads out on my 6P but forgot to switch the batteries back out. POOF! ive managed to insta-flash a few bulbs before, this is the first time ive done it to an LED. the overready crew has gotten in touch with me and im going to send it out for repair next week. moral of the story is simple, its fun to lego around your parts but make sure you get everything right before firing it up!

Last edited:

Up All Night

Enlightened
Talk about tough lessons in Lego! I'd be crushed if I ever did that to mine and as much as I have faith in the crew at Oveready I don't believe the awesomeness that comes through the window of mine could ever be duplicated. . . . . EVER!!
. . .
and yes I've killed a couple of lamp assemblies playing, easily done on a brainstorm, that gets a cramp!

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
any chance of trying out one of the de-domed XP-L's from the wasp project in one of these heads?

Potentially. We tried it last year and the focus was way off, but that was dozens of generations ago.

Perhaps the newer processes would work better!

Robone

Newly Enlightened
Moddoo and/or ElectronGuru, I know you guys have been busy with the triples but I am still interested in more "details" on these masterpieces. When you have the time of course.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
While we were all focused on LEDs, and just before the v5 hit, the M2 bezel supply dried up. Basically, SF closed the back door I was using to get them. We have a handful left, which is enough to finish out a few more DD heads. But:

there's zero time to finish them now
without more bezels, any future head would need to be made scratch
anything made from scratch needs larger quantities
larger quantity means larger appeal
larger appeal means a new design​

So we'll catch our breath from the v5, finish out the last DD heads, then consider our options for making a new version. First consideration will be P60 compatibility.

Robone

Newly Enlightened
Sorry EG, by "details" I meant performance, current measurement, how to measure at the tail cap, why not to measure at the tail cap, etc. I guess I should have quoted Moddoo's post about getting back to us. I just want to learn more about how this stuff works. From my earlier posts about measuring my xm-l2 head and my xp-l head with my $17 meter. I got a little confused when I saw a big difference in current measurement at the tail cap between the two. I factored out the batteries as the cause of this. I thought, " ok there's something to learn from this!" Does this measurement say anything about the lumen output at the emitter? Does this mean the xm-l2 is brighter because the tail cap current is higher? Could the xp-l just be more efficient and have the same output at a lower current? And as a flashoholic a million other questions as well. By the way that P60 compatible version makes my mouth water!!!

Last edited:

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Ah yeah, that will take even more time. Tom is working on several high priority projects, simultaneously! In the mean time, here's an analogy.

Using a DD setup to measure led efficiency is like using a sponge to measure the water in a bowl. The variability of power transmission and absorption gives to many variables to be directly comparable. Better to use a regulated setup, with controllable power levels and outputs.

Last edited:

Robone

Newly Enlightened
Thanks. So in other words: me with my vast amount of zero knowledge + a cheap Walmart multimeter = no useful information what so ever! I'll just stick to shining it at stuff....if I can figure out which way to hold it.:D

tab665

Flashlight Enthusiast
I never could bring myself to turn in my mini turbohead since it was completely my fault that it got fried in the first place. luckily I was able to get in on the batch just now, decided to go neutral this time. maybe one day I will get a modder to try to crack open my fried head and slap a warm HCRI xml or xpl in it.

edit: if anyone is interested in doing a mod on my spare head, ive ordered 5 of these http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...M315GXvqsfCOVFw9c0uf8dRjvCi6HawIjpOe3CHXm9E2C.
they're U3 binned 90 CRI XP-L's. it would be changing from a XM-L2 so a new LED mount would be required. PM me if interested, sorry if this is a bad place to post this.

Last edited:

Moddoo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I never could bring myself to turn in my mini turbohead since it was completely my fault that it got fried in the first place. luckily I was able to get in on the batch just now, decided to go neutral this time. maybe one day I will get a modder to try to crack open my fried head and slap a warm HCRI xml or xpl in it.

edit: if anyone is interested in doing a mod on my spare head, ive ordered 5 of these http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...M315GXvqsfCOVFw9c0uf8dRjvCi6HawIjpOe3CHXm9E2C.
they're U3 binned 90 CRI XP-L's. it would be changing from a XM-L2 so a new LED mount would be required. PM me if interested, sorry if this is a bad place to post this.
I'll work on it for you man. Pm me please.

tab665

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll work on it for you man. Pm me please.

PM sent, I managed to piece together after the fact that your part of the oveready team.

new head arrived yesterday, even though its the same reflector it seems like I agree with a previous comment in which I think the hotspot might be a tad tighter. either that or ive forgotten over time what the beam was like before with the XM-L2.

tab665

Flashlight Enthusiast
got my repaired head back. as mentioned earlier i got my hands on a few HCRI xp-l's. originally i was expecting to have both the neutral xp-l head and HCRI head as part of a lego kit and just share the same body, but since lego-ing cause me to fry the head in the first place im thinking i might get a new 6P host. decisions decisions. anyways, i cant do any kind of measurements or beamshots, but its definitely high output incan-esque goodness!!!