MLOK Rail mount or Picatinny Rail mount light - lower end but quality?

FlyFishn

Newly Enlightened
All,

Does anyone have any suggestions on a lower end (cheaper) light that can mount to, preferably, an MLOK rail? Or Picatinny? I am assuming if Picatinny then I will need an adapter unless there is a decent offset, but I'm not sure on that one. I need to get around sight field of view.

I've looked at some in the $50-100 range and am not too impressed. A lot of the poor reviews come back to operational issues either out of the box or developing quickly with recoil.

Where is a reasonable starting point for something that is quality and will be reliable? I also need a remote switch and both constant and momentary operational modes. Adjustable output levels would be nice also.

I've looked at some of the Streamlights in about the $120-150 range and those appear better.

As to lumens - I don't want something super bright, but enough to light up a reasonable amount. I am thinking around 500-700 lumens.

As for batteries - 18650 would be nice for compatibility with my EDC, but I would be OK with CR123.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
I ended up going with a 1" ring adapter setup for my Pic rail (Mlok was also a candidate but didn't fit my specific geometry).
The reason being, I could use a 1"-diameter SureFire flashlight and a fully-potted Malkoff dropin, in which I have a /high/ confidence of reliability.

I have yet to perform range testing, to see if the attachment points will hold up.

Last edited:

FlyFishn

Newly Enlightened
a fully-potted Malkoff dropin,
Can you explain this?

If I am reading between the lines - this is a modification to a conventional flashlight to remote the switch? If so - how do you control the modes?

Another idea I had was a dual-purpose light - both one that can be hand held as well as rail mounted. However, I am not sure what the feasibility is of that. The primary purpose I need is the rail mount. I have an EDC light that has held up great for years and I'll keep using it for that purpose so I don't know if I would be too inclined to dismount one...

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Searched and found these threads within the last 6 months >

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I would not use an 18650 in that role either. Although I mainly work security, I'm also a firearms instructor. Call me biased but, I tell my students to pay a bit more for something as important as a weapon-mounted light. Lithium primaries only, and I only recommend two brands. SureFire or Streamlight. When it comes to weapon-lights, they just work no matter what. Bargain alternative? Honestly.... Check eBay for lightly-used Streamlight models.

In all good conscience, I can't recommend anything else.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Dedicated weaponlights are tough and potted, view some videos in those other threads.
Current units use good emitters and likely have momentary mode.

Most are pic rail attached and not just for pistols.

Personally have a couple currently mounted=
My Mossberg semiauto 12guage will likely have one, as soon as I put it on it.. yes it has a pic rail

FlyFishn

Newly Enlightened
I would not use an 18650 in that role either. Although I mainly work security, I'm also a firearms instructor. Call me biased but, I tell my students to pay a bit more for something as important as a weapon-mounted light. Lithium primaries only, and I only recommend two brands. SureFire or Streamlight. When it comes to weapon-lights, they just work no matter what. Bargain alternative? Honestly.... Check eBay for lightly-used Streamlight models.

In all good conscience, I can't recommend anything else.
Do you have any thoughts of the Streamlight SL-B26 USB rechargeable battery system?

I'm looking at the PROTAC HL-X model.

Looks like the dual CR123A/18650 version is $124 from my dealer. I can't find the version in their online store that has the SL-B26. Perhaps the SL-B26 can be acquired separately? I'll have to do some digging on that.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Do you have any thoughts of the Streamlight SL-B26 USB rechargeable battery system?
If you mean the batteries themselves, yes I have a handful of those. They work well in Streamlight's hand-held models. Though again, being rechargeable I wouldn't use them in anything that generates repeated recoil.

That PROTAC HL-X model is a good one. I have it myself and it's my primary weapon-light. (I know, it's not Made in America. Don't care, it works reliably.) Some might find the head to be a bit too wide for their taste, but not an issue for me.

FlyFishn

Newly Enlightened
I see what you're getting at with the rechargeable batteries now.

Ive never messed with the non-rechargeable lithium batteries so I will have to look in to them. I assume there is a variant that is equivalent to a CR123A at least.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I see what you're getting at with the rechargeable batteries now.

Ive never messed with the non-rechargeable lithium batteries so I will have to look in to them. I assume there is a variant that is equivalent to a CR123A at least.
Yes, you have two options. SureFire 3.0v and Watson 3.0v RCR123s.
Though from experience the Watsons aren't quite as good.

But again, you're better off with CR123A lithium primaries.
Especially if you need your firearm in a hurry and realize too late that the rechargeable cell in your weapon-light has drained down to nearly zero, because you haven't used it for awhile. A non-issue with primary cells.

FlyFishn

Newly Enlightened
I went with the PROTAC HL-X's. I'm hoping they show up relatively soon so I can try them out and dial things in. I'll keep digging on the batteries. I have 18650's for my EDC, I know they aren't ideal but maybe to try things out they might work. Then I can order in some of the primaries.

FlyFishn

Newly Enlightened
Yes, you have two options. SureFire 3.0v and Watson 3.0v RCR123s.
Though from experience the Watsons aren't quite as good.

But again, you're better off with CR123A lithium primaries.
Especially if you need your firearm in a hurry and realize too late that the rechargeable cell in your weapon-light has drained down to nearly zero, because you haven't used it for awhile. A non-issue with primary cells.
Do you have any thoughts on batteries such as in the link? They are non-rechargeable. They show in the description has having a "protection board". I would assume all lithiums would have to have some kind of protection, but that gets back to the rechargeable batteries - if the recoil will break down the ability of the rechargeables to recharge/be useful, then is the same concern there with the "protection board" in these "non-rechargeable" batteries?

FlyFishn

Newly Enlightened
On another look - I found these Streamlight non-rechargeable CR123A's. They say in the description they are intended for gun mounted lights also. So that makes me pretty comfortable. I'll grab a set.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Do you have any thoughts on batteries such as in the link? They are non-rechargeable. They show in the description has having a "protection board". I would assume all lithiums would have to have some kind of protection, but that gets back to the rechargeable batteries - if the recoil will break down the ability of the rechargeables to recharge/be useful, then is the same concern there with the "protection board" in these "non-rechargeable" batteries?

Oh hell no!
Don't waste your money on those. First of all, over 1600 mAh for one CR123?? Well, that's a blatant lie! Also, Made in China! This is going to be controversial (especially since the best rechargeable such cells were Made in China. But under direct supervision by AW, and sadly no longer available). Never buy Made in China CR123 Lithium primaries! Quality control of such cells is frequently non-existent. They're not just junk, but dangerous junk! You don't want those to vent with flame (basically explode) and release literally toxic gases near you.

We had a member experience something like that over a decade ago. Fairly recently, he posted an update. The health issues he suffered from inhaling just a bit of those toxic gases, yeah they never went away. He ended up spending a small fortune on medical bills during that decade or so since the incident took place. We're talking selling off his possessions just to keep up with the bills.

Honestly, for primaries, stick with cells that specifically say Made in USA, or Made in Japan. Those can be trusted. Streamlight, SureFire, Panasonic; all examples of Made in the USA.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

I'v use Energizer, Panasonic & Titanium Innovations CR123A primaries, they all worked the same.
If someone pushes a little CR123A photo cell really hard, they should enroll in clown school.

some options and I didn't even suggest a certain brand

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Energizers are good too.
As for Titanium innovations, I know plenty of folks have had good luck with them; I just don't trust them due to being Made in China.