• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Modding/Repair Helpline ... Get your answers here! :-)

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
Re: vinhnguyen54 Modding/Repair Helpline ... Get your answers here! :)

P= power(watt), I= current (amp), V= voltage (volt)
P=IV
Say we have I= 3A, V= 3.7V, then we have P=11.1watt, An example would be the XML-T6 rated at 11W when receiving 3A of current

But

Say we want P=11watt (to acquire full brightness), V=1.5V (AA) what would the current I be?
11=I(1.5) -> 11/1.5=I= 7.33A

The simple example above shows how current reads higher with lower voltage.

Voltage= potential difference = the potential energy to move electrons ---> higher voltage creates a greater electrical/electron sparks. So increasing voltage result with an increase in power. But if you have less potential energy then the flow of the electrons simply have to increase to match similar power requirement. Our initial power requirement was 11watt to achieve full brightness. At least as claimed by CREE.

Most LEDs Vf voltage is 3.7V so 1.5V wont lit it anyhow. No matter how many 1.5V you put in parallel to increase current the LED still wont lit. I am assuming you set up the 4AA in 2S2P to acquire a voltage of 3 volt? In that case the nominal voltage of 3V AAs in series is still less than the nominal voltage of 3.7V so the current reading should read higher as you saw.

Am my making any sense? Sorry I don't know much about electrical so may be someone else could chime in or correct me if I am wrong...

Last edited:

Yes, that makes sense and is how I understand electricity but both situations are series batteries. 12AA series = 12 x 1.5 = 18v and 4AA = 6v (at full charge?)

I would take a picture of my readings but I'm not sure if I can post pics on this forum.

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast

Vinh,

Thanks for post #19... you're the best...

davyro

Enlightened

Hi Wayne,i'd like to know if it would be possible for you to swap the XPG led for a Nichia 119 or 219 in my 6V Haiku,i'm thinking about getting some work done on the battery pack(cosmetic mod) & it would be great if i could get the led swapped at the same time.Thanks Dave

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened

Hi Wayne,i'd like to know if it would be possible for you to swap the XPG led for a Nichia 119 or 219 in my 6V Haiku,i'm thinking about getting some work done on the battery pack(cosmetic mod) & it would be great if i could get the led swapped at the same time.Thanks Dave

I have nver seen a haiku but I think I can do the emmiter swap. Pm me for pricing and address

davyro

Enlightened

I have nver seen a haiku but I think I can do the emmiter swap. Pm me for pricing and address

Thank you Wayne i've heard from owners of the Haiku it's pretty straight forward but i'd rather you do it.As i wouldn't have a clue where to start.

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened

Oh yeah...If I can have one light and just one light for the rest of my life I will pick the

Spark SD6 Headlamp modded with a Warm XML. 100% pure flood with an easy on the eye tint for work.

To me this is a MUST HAVE. A light that I NEED not want.

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast

Back to stacking chips part... How stable is 4.5A ??? Is this newest AW 3100mAh enough to provide constant 4.5A ??? Is heat-sinking this newly stacked drivers necessary (like giving them a bath in thermal epoxy that connects them with outer pill) ???

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened

Back to stacking chips part... How stable is 4.5A ??? Is this newest AW 3100mAh enough to provide constant 4.5A ??? Is heat-sinking this newly stacked drivers necessary (like giving them a bath in thermal epoxy that connects them with outer pill) ???

I have never gotten a dead driver due to heat yet so these 7135 chips are a real beast! 4.5A is quite stable with my AW 2600 so I would say 3100 would be even better. IMR or 26650 is still the best way to to go.

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks Vinh...

I'm doubting between 3A driven custom Triple XPG R5 or 4.5A...
3A will give me little over 800 lumens where with 4.5A will reach magic number of 1000 lumens OTF... the lumens difference to our eyes is hardly noticeable but heat buildup would be tremendous so still deciding... :)

Last edited:

VIET PRIDE BULLIES

Newly Enlightened

When you say gun I am assuming you you mean a big flashlight? I know guns are strictly prohibited in Vietnam. Anyhow, you can email me at [email protected] and I will help with whatever I can. Thanks!

Thanks Vinh,
Yes what I meant was big flashlight with high lumen out put

TEEJ

Flashaholic

Thanks Vinh,
Yes what I meant was big flashlight with high lumen out put

The light doesn't have to be big for high lumen output really. The head can be bigger to help maximize the THROW of those lumens, etc....but the lumens themselves are mostly emitted by the wee LED itself. The rest of the light just helps to send them where needed.

:D

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened

The light doesn't have to be big for high lumen output really. The head can be bigger to help maximize the THROW of those lumens, etc....but the lumens themselves are mostly emitted by the wee LED itself. The rest of the light just helps to send them where needed.

And dissipate the great amount of heat!

TEEJ

Flashaholic

LOL

I wonder at what point a small fan blowing across the pill, or a wee freon system, etc, would work better than a mass of conductive metal?

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened

LOL

I wonder at what point a small fan blowing across the pill, or a wee freon system, etc, would work better than a mass of conductive metal?

Liquid cool I tell yah!

TEEJ

Flashaholic

That WOULD be sweet!

It would require a radiator though....the liquid could carry the heat away from the pill, etc...but it still has to leave the system somehow.

I'm thinking that if I need plumbing and a pump and a radiator...maybe active air-cooled would be more efficient/lighter overall?

djans1397

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi Vin,

Could you walk me through step by step on how to dedome my SR90. Although it sounds relatively easy, I just want to make sure I'm doing it correctly and not screw up my new purchase. Also, if I want the ultimate LED thrower, is it really worth it to dedome my SR90? I don't want to make it a DEFT like beam as I would like to retain some spill/area lighting.

Thanks in advance,
Dan

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened

Air cool like a tiny fan would be easy to do. :)

That WOULD be sweet!

It would require a radiator though....the liquid could carry the heat away from the pill, etc...but it still has to leave the system somehow.

I'm thinking that if I need plumbing and a pump and a radiator...maybe active air-cooled would be more efficient/lighter overall?

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened

The instruction I gave above is pretty much it. Not much eles I can add. you will still have spill but its just a dimmer. The biggest change would be a neutral tint and a brighter hotspot. If you like cool white then don't mess with the dome. I would dedome if I was you because I love THROW! Too bad the tint shift to a less desirable tint though. Try it! if you dot like it then buy another LED. Its just $30.

Hi Vin,

Could you walk me through step by step on how to dedome my SR90. Although it sounds relatively easy, I just want to make sure I'm doing it correctly and not screw up my new purchase. Also, if I want the ultimate LED thrower, is it really worth it to dedome my SR90? I don't want to make it a DEFT like beam as I would like to retain some spill/area lighting.

Thanks in advance,
Dan