• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Moddoo Drop-ins: Triple CREE XP-E

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Moddoo Customs: Triple CREE XP-E (reservations open)

How is the drop-in lens affixed?

The legs of the Carclo optic sit in matching holes in the copper mounting plate. Presumably, the legs are then glued in-place.

Stillphoto

Flashlight Enthusiast

Anyone care to inform those of us not in the know about the XP-G series of leds, since so many of you seem to be jumping into that list?

Stillphoto

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for that...That's what I assumed. To be honest, as long as it's close to a daylight-ish shade, I'd be happy. Already have plenty of neutral lights.

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast

Cree has some XP-G docs on their web site, including an XP-G datasheet. Main improvements over the XP-E appear to include max drive current of 1000mA vs the XP-E's 700mA, lower Vf for the same drive current (3.2V@700mA vs 3.4V for the XP-E), and very significantly a lower junction to solder point thermal resistance (6 C/W vs 9 C/W). Also, the XP-G is available in R5 flux bin (139 lm min @350mA). The relative luminous flux is 2.5 at 1000mA, giving a calculated min output of about 350 emitter lumens.

In fact, Cree has some limited quantities of S2 bin XP-Gs out: "In addition, we have begun offering limited samples of an S2 flux bin, providing up to 400 lumens at 1A. We target availability of XP-G neutral and warm white LED samples by end of calendar 2009." The S2 flux bin is 148-156 lumens at 350mA.

Last edited:

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic

party.gif

Testing of the newly revised unit will be done shortly. Possibly violent testing.:) And it's WH, my favorite cool tint - as in not very cool!

Last edited:

Stillphoto

Flashlight Enthusiast

party.gif

Testing of the newly revised unit will be done shortly. Possibly violent testing.:) And it's WH, my favorite cool tint - as in not very cool!

Sounds like a good tint to me. Suppose I can do the usual CPF thing and stick with these leds for now, and when the G's come, get that one as well!

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic

Yeah I'd stick with this one and after the XP-G units are fleshed out AND fully tested then you can sell this one with maybe a tiny loss and move into the new newest unit.

Keeps you from waiting, saves you money, and let's others play too. A HUGE plus is by then you will be able to get your choice of warm and neutral XP-G's.

Last edited:

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yeah I'd stick with this one and...
Really eh? Your recommendation bares consideration. I was thinking that if I can't get a warm (4b), I may as well go whole hog and get a moon beacon.

re:cree said warm/neutral out for testing this year, not when production and retail distribution will commence.

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast

How do you switch between the three levels?
How many lumens would the XP-G version approximately have?

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast

How do you switch between the three levels?
Soft-press on the tail-cap (1/2 click with reverse clicky).
Interupt power supply, the comes on at the next mode.

re: xp-g lumens. read the a few posts above yours at JustinCase's post.
the XP-G is available in R5 flux bin (139 lm min @350mA). The relative luminous flux is 2.5 at 1000mA, giving a calculated min output of about 350 emitter lumens.
Further, we know that Moddoo posted
3 mode driver:
8 x AMC 7135 board with Low, Medium, High
Approximate output:
Low 120mA
Medium: 1A
High: 2.8A

Thus 2.8A / 3 = .93A or 930ma per die
.93amp * 350lumens@1amp = 325 lumens / die
325lumens * 3 die = 975 theoretical lumens

Search for the main thread, you'll see discussion/graphs on xp-g performance at different levels, and in comparison to xp-e. I will leave it to those producing this to indicate what out the front lumens can be expected, but if the r2's were clearing 500 the triple xp-g r5's will pass 800 lumens.

Best,
Linger

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast

The estimated XP-G relative luminous flux @930mA is about 2.35.

The R5 bin has an upper flux limit of 148 lumens @350mA. That gives about 350 emitter lumens @930mA. Thus, a triple XP-G R5 could have a max output of about 1050 emitter lumens. If, however, you run the drop-in for a long enough time for it to get hot, junction heating could reduce the output by 20% (assuming the graph in the datasheet of relative luminous flux vs junction temp @350mA holds for 930mA). That could reduce the max lumens to about 840 lumens.

On top of that, the Carclo triple optic has an efficiency of 88.7% for the narrow optic (87.2% for the medium frosted, 80% for the wide frosted; no numbers in the datasheet for the narrow frosted, but you would think it would be at least as good as medium frosted). That might cut the max output to about 740 lumens for a hot drop-in. On startup when the drop-in is still cold, you could get about 930 lumens out, before junction heating kicks in.

The triple narrow optic is also rated at 9.8 candela per lumen. For my triple XP-E R2 driven at 700mA per LED, the calculated min output per LED is just about 200 lumens. That would put the triple beam intensity at about 6000 Cd, or 6000 lux at 1 meter. In fact, I measured 6100 lux at 1 meter with a "cold" drop-in. The agreement could be just dumb luck.

Assuming things hold for the XP-G, you might get about 10,000 lux at 1 meter for a cold, triple XP-G R5. Not bad.

Last edited:

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks Linger and Justin Case for the explanation. Now I know I want a triple XP-G dropin :twothumbs.

Soft-press on the tail-cap (1/2 click with reverse clicky).
Interupt power supply, the comes on at the next mode.
I am sorry, :stupid:. Can you explain a little more? What's a soft-press? In case I will be using a SF momentary lock-out tailcap, does it mean that a quick and short press will switch the mode? So clicking the tailcap fast (for example when I need to signal someone in the distance) will mess up the current mode? Or will it switch if I accidentally press and release the button?

Moddoo

Flashlight Enthusiast

Any updates on the triple XP-E/G dropins? ;)

Hello Guys,

The Triples are coming along pretty well.

I hope to have some ready soon.

Daniel: switching the light on and off quickly will cycle through the different modes.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast

Is this more of a throw or a flood setup? :eek:oo:

Latest posts