most powerful light that you "actually" use often?

LED61

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have to say that for every weekend outing my M6 with the LOLA gets the most use. Now, for EDC and daily use I use my HDS U60. I also use my SF Kroma every night inside my house with the red LED's.

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
2D Maglite with the 3 watt Luxeon MagLED bulb.

12" 8 AA battery operated fluorescent light from Lowes that I had pot-modded (found a potienometer inside which I cranked up to drive the tube harder). I keep it in my car since the dome light is not working. A nice EDC with lots of "flood"

frogs3

Enlightened
Since I carry my Inova T2 in my pocket, I guess it gets the "most used" label.

I go outside daily for a walk and take something much more potent -- usually either a 35 w X990 or 75 w XeVision HID light.

No reasons nor explanations will be posted. These work for me. End of report.

pmsar35

Newly Enlightened
At home and work, a McLuxIIIPD...low level great for night trips around the house to avoid tripping over dogs and toys and the high level is great when walking the dogs. For SAR use when I need to check an area at night, a Surefire M2 with extender and a P91 bulb...soon to be replaced with a Lumens Factory 320 lumen lamp assembly.

fishx65

Enlightened
I spend a lot of my time hunting, fishing, quading and snowmobiling. The most powerful light I carry is the 4aa pro-poly or a 6P to compliment my EOS headlamp.

mdocod

Flashaholic
I drive a Surefire P91 lamp in an ultrafire body with 2 17670s.. It gets turned on almost every day at least a few times for various things. fresh off the charger, li-ions drive the P91 HARD, probably close to 275 torch lumens category.

It's a fascinating amount of light for something that I can carry in a pocket, and that fascination is probably half the reason I use it so much, puts a grin on my face every time I turn that sucker on.

RAF_Groundcrew

Enlightened
110 Lumen Surefire 8NX, pretty much every working day. Apart from that, I use my M6 as often as I feel able to justify the running cost of the cells.

I have a Thor 10X with 130W lamp that hardly ever gets used..... but it's there in case!

Concept

Flashlight Enthusiast
That L2 I spoke of is now doing temp bike light duty for my new mountain bike. Not too bad on high and runtime is ok for those short rides on a 17670.

fleegs

Enlightened
mdocod said:
I drive a Surefire P91 lamp in an ultrafire body with 2 17670s.. It gets turned on almost every day at least a few times for various things. fresh off the charger, li-ions drive the P91 HARD, probably close to 275 torch lumens category.

Hello. Sounds very interesting but how does 8.4 volts drive a 9 volt lamp hard? I thought this under drove the bulb slightly? Would this be the same as using the P91 in a 6P with two R123s? Please help.

Thanks,
rob

LED61

Flashlight Enthusiast
fleegs said:
Hello. Sounds very interesting but how does 8.4 volts drive a 9 volt lamp hard? I thought this under drove the bulb slightly? Would this be the same as using the P91 in a 6P with two R123s? Please help.

Thanks,
rob

The P91 is a high output lamp for the 9P that has a high amp draw. Its design is to run on primary 123's which sag voltage under the heavy load. It runs off about 6.8 volts under that configuration. Li ions sag less and probably drive the lamp at about 7.4 volts. Hence it is overdriven.

LED61

Flashlight Enthusiast
I forgot to answer the second part of your question, I would not run the 6P with the P91 and two RCR's. Though the voltage is OK, the cell capacity is much lower than the 17670's and thus you would be exceeding the maximum 2C discharge rate for Li ions.

mdocod

Flashaholic
thankyou LED61 for answering that.. hehe...
(fleegs: LED61s response is entirely correct)

The P91 runs about 2.5 amps off of a set of 3 fresh lithium primaries, closer to 2.75amps on a fresh charge off of li-ions... if you use RCR123s you'd actually end up dimmer, many people have tried, few cells hold up, some will provide a reasonable output on a P91 for around 5-8 minuts before crapping out. 17500 cells will do it reasonably but it's still hard on the cells, 17670 is the minimum cells size for a P91 to run well without danger to the cells.

fleegs

Enlightened
Thanks for the answer. Now I have even more questions. Going to start another thread (maybe).

Thanks,
rob

SpeedPRO

Enlightened
I used U2 pretty often to check on the back yard, this and A19XRE is pretty much the brightest arsenal I have.

I really wish I have ROP, TRILUX, or QUADLUX

drizzle

Enlightened
Fenix P1 gets used everyday. Golston 7W/part stippled reflector gets used sometimes more than once a week sometimes less depending on what I'm doing.

My Elektrolumens "Little Friend" would be the most powerful light that I regularly use, but it's just not as handy a size as I thought it would be so it gets left behind more often.

rapidoxidationman

Newly Enlightened
Coast LED Lenser V2. 3AAA cells inside a tight cylinder. One of several backups caving, also is my daily light. I'm a handyman; I use this thing a LOT. It's been abused (saved my hip from road rash in a motorcycle crash once too!) and it is bright as daylight.

roguesw

Enlightened
My KL4 and my McLux PR-T both with 5W Luxeons get daily use mainly because they have migrated over to rechargaebles.
Bought my M3-T but i never use the bulbs, just waiting to finish my ArcMania Towermodule and onto rechargaebles, and it would get some run time.