Mr. Buddy Portable Heater

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
My original Little Buddy finally took a crap when attempting to light it this year. I've watched all the videos and performed the alcohol cleaning, etc. I'm still having the issue with the pilot burning a very high flame, not reaching the thermocoupler like it should. It's not blue like it should be and doesn't seem that the proper level of air is mixing.

Because of it being one of the 1st generation heaters, disassembly is not cut and dry. I'm not sure what component is responsible for the proper oxygen level mixing with the propane to produce the proper flame. If I could find out what that is, I may have a chance in saving this.

This particular model, the MH9B, is no longer available. I'd have to spend the $80 for a new MH9BX to get the similar model.

Any suggestions?

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
One thing when you clean with alcohol you need to shove that q tip as far down in there as possible.

Another problem that can happen is you get air in the line sometimes and you don't get that blue flame. I can't explain it but you need to leave your tank off and leave the pilot open for about an hour. If it goes out start it up again. See if that helps.

Usually if the alcohol cleaning doesn't work though it's your thermocoupler gone bad. Good luck

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
One thing when you clean with alcohol you need to shove that q tip as far down in there as possible.

Another problem that can happen is you get air in the line sometimes and you don't get that blue flame. I can't explain it but you need to leave your tank off and leave the pilot open for about an hour. If it goes out start it up again. See if that helps.

Usually if the alcohol cleaning doesn't work though it's your thermocoupler gone bad. Good luck
I could see that being the issue, if the flame looked OK, but it didn't stay lit. To the best of my knowledge, that piece has nothing to do with how the flame burns, the oxygen getting to it, etc. I'm just about ready to get a new one. The cheapest price I can find on the pilot assembly is $26. A new unit is slightly less than $80 and much more serviceable.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
I have no specific insights, but do you use 1lb propane tanks or line going to the larger tanks ?
I can confirm that the inline fuel "filters" can be helpful over the long term if using the larger tanks, because of plasticizer leaching from the external lines.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I suggest that you contact the manufacturer, and describe your problem to them. They may know of a fix, or possibly warranty the unit, and replace it, or give you a discount off a new model. They may not give you total satisfaction, but you won't know unless you ask.

I have been amazed at how well some companies have responded to product problems for me in the past. Good companies know that taking care of the customer will generate good word of mouth advertising for them, and pay off many times over the cost of the help they provide.

Good luck.

Last edited:

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I suggest that you contact the manufacturer, and describe your problem to them. They may know of a fix, or possibly warranty the unit, and replace it, or give you a discount off a new model. They may not give you total satisfaction, but you won't know unless you ask.

I have been amazed at how well some companies have responded to product problems for me in the past. Good companies know that taking care of the customer will generate good word of mouth advertising for them, and pay off many times over the cost of the help they provide.

Good luck.
Good idea, thanks.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I have no specific insights, but do you use 1lb propane tanks or line going to the larger tanks ?
I can confirm that the inline fuel "filters" can be helpful over the long term if using the larger tanks, because of plasticizer leaching from the external lines.
Thanks. I've tried different tanks and lines, with the same result.

ghostguy6

Enlightened
Its been a long time since I had mine apart but I do remember heating up the nozzle with a butane torch to burn all the contamination from it then blowing it out with compressed air. It seemed like something had gone through the line and almost melted in the nozzle but the nozzle would not burn hot enough during normal operation to burn it away.
Its worth a try.

vincent3685

Newly Enlightened
I have a Potable Buddy that I normally use with the 1lb. bottles. I refill those from a 20 lb.tank. I would like to use the 20 lb. tank directly with the 10 ft. hose assembly. No fuel filter needed. However, everything I read warns against bringing the large tank indoors. As long as I'm sure there are no leaks, what are the dangers of using the larger tank indoors vs. the smaller 1lb. bottles? What good is it having to keep the tank outdoors while using the heater inside? Seems counterintuitive.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Potable Buddy that I normally use with the 1lb. bottles. I refill those from a 20 lb.tank. I would like to use the 20 lb. tank directly with the 10 ft. hose assembly. No fuel filter needed. However, everything I read warns against bringing the large tank indoors. As long as I'm sure there are no leaks, what are the dangers of using the larger tank indoors vs. the smaller 1lb. bottles? What good is it having to keep the tank outdoors while using the heater inside? Seems counterintuitive.
It might be against your local fire codes and ordinances.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
there is a kit that sells refillable camp style bottles like the coleman uses but you can refill thrm and if i recall its legal it worked great when i had them ill try to find link

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I've been running my Mr Heater, attached to the 20lb tank inside, for 3 years now and I'm not concerned.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
Just got this one for 74 new at Walmart. Be safe everyone carbon dioxide is scary