• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Multiple 5 mm LEDs over single Lux IIIs or SSC P4s ?

RAGE CAGE

Enlightened
Any other PEAK fans out there prefer their multiple LED lights over their more "modern" offerings? For some reason I like the 3 to 7 5mms in
my PEAKS. Maybe it is the look- or the thought (mistaken or correct) that the multiple lights give a 2x or 6x redundancy in case of single 5mm failure- a luxury that the newer lights do not afford. Also- not like it really matters but I have heard the lifespan of the newer emitters are approx 30,000 hours as opposed to the 50,000 hours of the 5mm's.

Last edited:

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have almost as many Peak and Arc AAA flashlights as Octomom has kids.

The lights serve well as backup and the small size and light weight make carrying them so easy. But, they are just not bright or white enough for most of my applications.

MWClint

Enlightened
i use the Mckinley 7 Led UP quite often..it's gotta be at least 25 lumens, and its all in one nice big hotspot. My inova x5 has just sat as backup ever since.

afraidofdark

Enlightened
I have quite a few multi-emitter Peaks. While I'm never out of reach of something high power with a Cree, Seoul, Rebel, or Lux, there's always a little Peak 1- or 3- or 5- or 7-emitter in my pocket. Apart from the sweet form factor and amazing build, I find them useful for when I need a little light but not a blinding beam. Sometimes you just want to keep it on the down-low :)

Peak. Now more than ever :thumbsup:

RAGE CAGE

Enlightened
lol...parnass said Octomom......maybe I should tape two 7 LED UP Kili's together and call it the Octomom Child Finder since she has 14 to keep track of now.

Last edited:

stefanj

Newly Enlightened
I guess I got the best of both worlds in one light. My Pacific (red Luxeon LED) puts out about 45 Lumens with a lowly AA (and runs forever- I'm still using the original battery- now with over 10 hours on it!) But I can drop a 14500 into it and boost the output to aprox 90 Lumens. Great little light!

RAGE CAGE

Enlightened
Nice- did you pick up your Red Pacific during the half of Luxeon sale?
I picked up 2 baltics- an XLR and UP in white. Wish I would have known about the red emitters- it would make a perfect nighcrawler hunting light.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
5mm LEDs TEND towards having a very blue Tint.

I don't LIKE a blue tint.

That said I often poke about the house using a 1AA 3 to 9 LED (depends on which light) when I don't require brightness.

THAT said... The P7 8 level 2D (3c) Mag I have tends to fill my hand pretty often because that thing will get mighty low!

22hornet

Enlightened
Any other PEAK fans out there prefer their multiple LED lights over their more "modern" offerings? For some reason I like the 3 to 7 5mms in
my PEAKS. Maybe it is the look- or the thought (mistaken or correct) that the multiple lights give a 2x or 6x redundancy in case of single 5mm failure- a luxury that the newer lights do not afford. Also- not like it really matters but I have heard the lifespan of the newer emitters are approx 30,000 hours as opposed to the 50,000 hours of the 5mm's.
Hello,

What you state is not really true.
5mm white leds "high power": some 8.000 hours
5mm white leds "ultra power": some 1.000 hours

Colored 5mm leds live longer, but I do not know how long.

So, actually, the other, non 5mm emitters, will live (far) longer, especially when driven at below spec. (like the led in a low output (L-marked) Baltic)

Kind regards,
Joris

RAGE CAGE

Enlightened
Hello,

What you state is not really true.
5mm white leds "high power": some 8.000 hours
5mm white leds "ultra power": some 1.000 hours

Colored 5mm leds live longer, but I do not know how long.

So, actually, the other, non 5mm emitters, will live (far) longer, especially when driven at below spec. (like the led in a low output (L-marked) Baltic)

Kind regards,
Joris

Thanks Joris- so you are saying 8,000 (eight thousand) hours
lifespan for H stamped PEAKS, multiple or single LED config.
and 1,000 (one thousand) hours lifespan for U stamped 5mm LEDs.
I know that powering them at a higher capacity will lower their "useful" lifespan and have seen many claims of 100,000 hour bulbs from other manufactures.
I thought I was being conservative with 30,000 to 50,000 hours.
Anyone else have a different estimate of what would be "average lifespan" for X, H, or U 5mm PEAK heads?

Last edited: