Multiple Led stripes

razstec

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

Im building my light system for my planted fish tank, im using led stripes but i dont whant to have 4 power cords,

what i want was to connect all led stripes to the plug, and for that i need your help.

I have the following material:

2 led stripes 30cm 3528 12v 1a
2 led stripes 30cm 5050 12v 1a
1 led stripes 100cm 5050 12v 1a
2 led 30Mil chip 9-35V 1a

How can i connect all this to the plug, what kind of transformer should i buy?

thanks

ps- i want to simulate daylight with full spectre, white, blue and red, if you know some other leds that work better let me know. thanks in advance

Barbarin

Flashlight Enthusiast
No way you can connect all them with just one plug. You have two kinds input, voltage and current.

If you use just the 12V ones, all you need is a 12 V power supply... at least obviously 3 Amps, so around 50 Watt. But again, there is some discrepancies on the data you are telling us. Is 12V 1A for 100 cm, or for 30 cm?

If you want to get full spectre, then you need the highest available CRI, up to know I'm working with 95 CRI 4000ºK.

Regards,

Javier

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am not sure about that last strip you listed. 30Mil? What is that? millimeters?

Yes, you should be able to use one power wire/supply:
Otherwise, the top 5 strips can be wired to one RGB LED controller. Search that. Depending on the controller, it will change all them at one time. No independent control.
You have 220cm, which is 86 inches, or about 7 feet. So a 2 amp power supply would be more than ample to feed that. Heck, even 1 amp would probably work fine. You could use a 12 volt (or up to 14 volts) wall wart if you wanted. Check around your house on old stuff packed in drawers or closets. lol You may have one. Just remember 1000mA is 1 amp.

For the last strip you listed, I think you could come off the power supply and feed it too. I am not sure about it though.

FWIW: I put strip lights in my Kitchen. I have 4 short (2 foot each) strips running off One 1 amp 13.5 volt wall wart that came from a old cordless phone I think. The wall wart plugs in the wall, cut the plug off, wire into controller, wire strips to controller. You can wire all directly to controller, or wire them to the ends of each strip. They instruct you to wire them to the ends of each strip.

Barbarin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry, dude, but there is no way he can use a single power supply for all of them. Look a the description of the last one:

I don´t get very clearly what is it, but I would say is current controlled stripe. The rest are voltage controlled.

Again, no way he can feed with 1 Amp what is total 220 cm of 12V 1Amp by meter... he needs at least 2,2 Amps, and if the voltage reach 14 V, which is something you should not do, they it will be higher than that.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Excluding the last strip. Yes he can. I have done basically the same set up several times, and it works. His question was can he, not is it a ideal set up. I recommended 2 amps. But, like I said, 1 amp would PROBABLY work.

Barbarin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, again... what I said is: "No way you can connect all them with just one plug"

If the manufacturer is asking you 1 Amp by meter, and 12 V voltage... keep what is being asked on the specs. 1 Amp would work, yes... badly. 2 Amps... short again. You wont get the flux which you are supposed to get. What's the point on keeping the power supply as small as possible?

This is what I do for a living, I make strips among other things related to lighting, so I have developed, analyzed and produced thousands of meters. I would not adjust the power supply to the edge. Leave some safety margin, keep the power supply working at 70%... and if has adjustable Vout, make sure that you provide the required voltage. Is not a warranty, because many strip manufacturers in order to increase their profit use higher currents on LED than what is on spec, and it will affect lumen maintenance medium term.

Last edited:

Lighteng

Newly Enlightened
2 led stripes 30cm 3528 12v 1a
2 led stripes 30cm 5050 12v 1a
1 led stripes 100cm 5050 12v 1a

ps- i want to simulate daylight with full spectre, white, blue and red, if you know some other leds that work better let me know. thanks in advance

The numbers "3528" and "5050" refer to the LED size and don't help understand what the model is. A model number for the last strip would be extra helpful.

You mention wanting to simulate daylight but you didn't mention the color of any of the strips you have.