Music you like but don't want your friends to know you like it

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
For a similar reason, I also hate soft-boiled eggs and boiled chicken skin, well, only if there is absolutely nothing to eat, I eat them..

Perhaps you would like to make music yourself, if you assemble a theremin, there is an interesting electrical circuit and a human part of the circuit, coils, coils, coils

The theremin was famously used at the end of the Beach Boys' Good Vibrations.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Man, we had Soul Train on tv, Casey Kasem on the radio, bell bottom jeans and flowered button up shirts. Fat Elvis was still wowing audiences, Vietnam was in the rear view mirror, and I was coming out of my shell as a kid.

My older siblings were listening to Doobie Bros and the Rolling Stones on hard the get FM radio stations, mine was a cheap AM radio that played "the hits". I think a 10oz non returnable pop was still a nickel. Maybe a dime that year. I know in one summer they went from a nickel to fifteen cents in just a short period.

My oldest sibling successfully changed me over from a soul music fan to rock fan when Frampton Comes Alive hit the airwaves like an atomic bomb. But to me disco music was just soul music done by white people. The OJays, Earth Wind & Fire, Barry White, and other great bands with orchestas in the background. Franki Vali and ELO were also high on my list of musicians the dames liked but my breathan on the baseball diamond denied liking.

I just liked music. I played a coronet in school. Not well but I tried. Teachers got upset I didn't learn to read music. I didn't need to. I heard it once and I could play it if I liked it. Disco had horns, and violins, and percussion instruments like bongos and bells. Peer pressure dictated I be against disco, so I enjoyed it when nobody was around. I never bought any disco albums but did have some 45's. But back then there was so much great music on the radio, one minute it's a disco song playing, the next minute Elton John belting out a Beatles cover, Doobie Bros, Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, and the like.

By 77 I was into a new Elvis. Elvis Costello. And Iggy Pop, had seen Aerosmith and Foghat live. I was a full on rock & roll fan. I did see Pablo Cruise at Lion Country Safari (now Kings Dominion) that year. Still a lot of variety of great music on the am radio though. But my skateboard bretheran were into a new wave of tunes from bands most had never heard like Ultravox, XTC, Talking Heads and yes Elvis Costello. A lot of the skateboarders were military brats from Califonia and Hawaii. So they had nice cars with nice, loud stereos belting out music while we were "kickin' out the jams" on skateboards. By then I was on my 3rd or 4th KISS album and KISS Alive had been released. My older siblings haaaaaaaaated KISS, which kinda made me like 'em more, really.

By 78 the KISS thing was a fad gone by. Yeah I bought the solo albums. But the Cars, DEVO, Blondie, Police, the Clash and a whole crop of west coast favs were playing on my record player. Never mind AM radio. It was FM for me. By then I had my older brothers hand me down MCS all in one stereo system with Pioneer speakers. The FM radio could pick up the radio stations at the beach on clear, cool nights so I got to hear the newest of the new wave numbers. I'd stay up all night listening to those stations with my hand me down headphones on.

Here's one I'd never let them know I liked

But ya gotta admit it's pretty catchy.

And for you weird Al fans

TPA

Enlightened
Actually... nope. For 30+ years, people know I listen to quite a wide variety of things and to just expect the unexpected....in high fidelity, of course.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Gimme some Stan Rogers, Judy Collins, and just about any old folk music. Also very fond of Bob James, Spiro Gyra, and Earl Klugh.

Geoff

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
With my mother I had to conceal nearly all the music I wanted to listen to. She even imagined some song in Dutch to be bad.

With my friends it was anything goes musically. For example we would go booze cruising and one friend would play metal and sometime Christian rock. Then the next time I would play some Swedish boy bands.

Another friend would let me play Moonman when we gamed but if it was at work I had to keep it down so customers didn't hear and think we believed the themes. It was just a clever way for me to bypass copyright using the parody exemption, I'm not racist at all.

Or when I was at halfway house I would look songs up for the people that didn't have internet access or were poor. The agreement was they get a song and I play one I like usually in another language. That worked out great as I learned of some music I didn't know about previously.

If I had to pick a song to share it would be this SVT song that now isn't so popular because a certain group of people can't take a joke.

I can play it safely as no one understands it and even if they did they may not pick up on the jokes.

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
About the title of thread, I don't know of any music I would not want to tell my friends about, otherwise they would not likely be friends.

Just picked up a CD with a bunch of Cat Stevens songs, from the 70's I believe.

Dave