My Beam Shot Page

Paul_DW

Enlightened
Ok last 'decent' flashlight has arrived in the post today ... :)

Olight M3X Triton - 1000 lumen version...

Now tonight I plan to be playing about with settings on the camera so was gonna just take the one flashlight, but am keen to see how this baby performs so will grab a shot or three while I'm out.

Oh and can any of you camera buffs help?

If I want to get some distance beamshots, what are the settings I should be playing with? ... or do I still use F5.6 - 0.5 - ISO400 which has proved the best so far for close >50M shots. I'm guessing I'll have to change for say 100M> beamshots, but honestly don't know really.

Any advice most appreciated ... :)

Chodes

Flashlight Enthusiast
SIDESPILL!

Here's the thing. Even a top of the line DSLR (absolute top) has nowhere near the dynamic range of your eyes.
Cameras exagerate shadows. Sidespill is basically a shadow.
Take a photo of a wall, ppartially shaded by a tree, when you look at the result, the shadow is now almost black, not just darker as your eyes saw it.
So to reproduce what your eyes actually see, you will need to adjust levels.
What I use is the shadow highlite tool.

To make it possible to get best results with shadow highlite adjustment, use ISO100. This means shutter speed will be longer, you'll need to keep camera steady, otherwise you will have motion blur.

For beamshot pics, that's really the only advantage to having a big dollar camera. You can use ISO 400 or 800 and still use shadow highlite tool without making the result look like a nosiy grainy mess.

Your beamshot pics are good. Good exposure. Common for people top overexpose, turning the hotspot into a blinding white spot.

Chodes

Flashlight Enthusiast
A picture is worth a thousand words...

This photo taken with a Canon 1DMKIV.
Properly exposed (for the subject Central park building in background)
Houses in laneway very dark as a result.

D42_1733_AS_zpscbb8db4e.jpg

Use shadow highlite tool to adjust to what eyes see. This will have the same effect on a beamshot pic to increase sidespill brightness.
D42_1733_Shadows_zps79eb977b.jpg

Chodes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep. in Photoshop, go to:
Image - Adjustments - Shadow/Highlights.

Top "slider" should default to mid position. You'll probably want to slide to the left.

Chodes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Exactly - noise.

Expensive camera you can use ISO400 or higher.
cheap camera use ISO 100, deal with the slow shutter speed resulting.

My examples ISO400, look OK, but that's expensive camera

Paul_DW

Enlightened
Yep. in Photoshop, go to:
Image - Adjustments - Shadow/Highlights.

Top "slider" should default to mid position. You'll probably want to slide to the left.

Exactly - noise.

Expensive camera you can use ISO400 or higher.
cheap camera use ISO 100, deal with the slow shutter speed resulting.

My examples ISO400, look OK, but that's expensive camera
Loud and clear! ... :)

Thanks, appreciate your help.

Ok, I've just took a few with the M3X & TK41 and they're similar beamwise.

I've just done a few with F5.6-0.5-ISO400, and then some with ISO100.

Will see what they look like with a bit of Shadow/Highlights, but not expecting miracles as altho a lot better than the iPhone, it's not a current top of the line so maybe not up to it.

Will see!

Paul_DW

Enlightened
Ok,

Fenix TK-41 Vs Olight M3X Triton.

Tree is 50M approx.

TK-41 Pic 1...

M3X Pic 1...

Tree is 75M approx.

TK-41 Pic 2...

M3X Pic 2...

Now this is a pic taken with ISO100 and no Shadow Highlights...

And this is the same pic with Shadow Highlights set @ 6% (anything above didn't look right at all)

Chodes

Flashlight Enthusiast
They look good.
Even 1 or 2% on the top slider can make a significant difference.
Logically, for an accurate beamshot, you need that slider somewhere above 0%.

Paul_DW

Enlightened
They look good.
Even 1 or 2% on the top slider can make a significant difference.
Logically, for an accurate beamshot, you need that slider somewhere above 0%.
Thanks ... :)

Ok have been playing about all night with diff settings, and I kinda like F4.0 - 1.0 - ISO200.

There's some noise I'm sure, but to me it shows a bit more of the side spill these flashlights are producing.

What do you think? (anyone can answer! ... :D )

1. Sunray King...

Fenix TK-41...

Olight M3X...

The Torch...

ThruNite TN30...

Jetbeam DDR30...

Fenix TK-75...

I'm going on the fact that if ALL flashlight pics in the set are taken with the exact same settings, it's fair!

PLEASE someone else comment ...lol. I appreciate ANY comments, but keep seeing the view counter rise and the same couple of people commenting. Surely they're not viewing the page 50 times each! ... :D

Go on, make an old boy happy for his efforts (all night)

Thanks

Paul_DW

Enlightened
PLEASE someone else comment ...lol. I appreciate ANY comments, but keep seeing the view counter rise and the same couple of people commenting. Surely they're not viewing the page 50 times each! ... :D

Go on, make an old boy happy for his efforts (all night)

Thanks
Damn this forum is hard work! ... :(

Ok I love me flashlights, and I love taking pics, but can't help feel it's all in vain here ... :(

Pity.

Norm

Retired Administrator
If it's any help Paul I enjoy seeing the progress your making :thumbsup:

Norm

Paul_DW

Enlightened
If it's any help Paul I enjoy seeing the progress your making :thumbsup:

Norm

+1 on this. I just saw this thread and know that getting a good beam shot is an art form in itself.
1 reply makes it worthwhile, 2 a bonus!

I don't expect/want EVERYONE to comment on every picture, but it's just a bit of a knock to see the pages view counter on 694 when you throw up a few hours of work, go to sleep, and wake to the counter on 750 odd and not one comment ... :(

I must admit I go on forums that if you throw a post up and no one comments, it's on to page 2 within the hour so it's gotta be special to keep going, but heaps of views on here and no comments is like no 'likes' on Faceboook ... :D

I'll get over it.

I'm off for a siesta and by the time I wake it'll be dark and 'Flashlight Time' ... my best time of the day ... :)

Paul_DW

Enlightened
Ok, I've been meaning to do another set of the hut in the footy field in OP.

Shed in 50M away...

F5.6-0.5-ISO400

Fenix PD32U...

Sunray King...

Fenix TK41...

Olight Triton M3X...

ThruNite TN30...

Ultrafire 13800...

Jetbeam DDR30...

Fenix TK75...

Camera DEF capturing a better image than in the OP ... :)

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well Paul I can say I appreciate them. I am currently looking at the TK75 and every beam shot I can find helps, especially when compared to the tk41 and tn30, both lights that I considered for awhile until I really studied the tk75.
Thanks for the work,
Tac

Paul_DW

Enlightened
Well Paul I can say I appreciate them. I am currently looking at the TK75 and every beam shot I can find helps, especially when compared to the tk41 and tn30, both lights that I considered for awhile until I really studied the tk75.
Thanks for the work,
Tac
Thanks Tac, I appreciate any comments TBH ... :)

All I'll say is the TK75 IMHO is an awesome flashlight! I had the Jetbeam DDR30 as my fav till the TK75 came along, as I love sheer flood with a Flashlight, but also some throw with others. The TK75 gives me both and I love it!

I dunno what you expect to pay, but I got a guy on eBay that's sold me a few and he accepted my $175 AU offer which included delivery. Was up for $199 but as I say accepted my $175 so let me know if you want and I'll reveal who it is. I've had 3 flashlights from him so far and my DDR30 that was faulty from the off he even paid for return postage of $30.60 and replaced without agg, top seller if you ask me.

Let me know.

Oh and will be updating this thread with heaps of beamshots whenever I get time to do them (which is often at the mo as half of them are still new to me ... :))

Paul_DW

Enlightened
Ok no flashlight pics to add as yet, I have my hands full at the moment...

We lost our beloved Staffy who we brought over from the UK a few months ago to cancer, aged 11.5yrs ... :(

We've recently put a deposit on 2 Blue Staffies and are spending most evenings at the breeders house bonding with them, so am finding NO time to play with my flashlights ATM.

I WILL return tho ... :)

Not a 'flashlight' post, but it's my beam shot page so don't see it a problem ... :)

Meet Daisy (Green) & Duke (Blue)...