My case for the underrated, underloved Surefire M4

computernut

Enlightened
Running into a little conundrum...Since I have an M4 and M6, but prefer the M4...is there any reason to keep the M6??? Help!!!

If I had an M6 I'd definitely take a look at the PhD regulated battery pack, the big handle of the M6 gives modders lots of room for putting regulation circuitry in that you just can't do on smaller tubed lights.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Running into a little conundrum...Since I have an M4 and M6, but prefer the M4...is there any reason to keep the M6??? Help!!!

Back-up for the M4 in case something happens to it. Redundant capability is extremely important.

2nd reason . . . You know you're going to regret it if you sell off your M6.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for all the help guys...yeah, I definitely like having back-up parts...And I would eventually regret selling it...I have 7 "M-Series" compatible lights...but man...that Emerson C2-HA-BK in the MP is Soooo tempting...I can always get a M6 next tax return...Arghhhh......

Kestrel

Flashaholic
The M6 you currently have is way better than the M6 you could have, LOL.

Seriously, I know I don't have much cred here in the /Incan/ subforum, but if I had one incan, it would be the M6. :p
That PhD regulated battery pack for the M6 seems to be the finest incandescent achievement ever IMO. :)

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't believe all this time has passed and I still don't own an M4, well ok, I sorta have one, not the real thing, but just as good. I hear ya AOW, ditch the frankenstein and get the real thing, I know, I know.

surefirem4.png

Hey wait a minute, who's that chubby fat little fellow showing his mug in this thread I have decicated to the M4? How dare he, well, I guess since he's only about 10 hours old in this house, I'll let him slide just this once:D

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, after owning my M6 for 2 days now I have to say I really like it a lot. The output is indeed superior to that of the M4's lamps, in regards to brightness and whiteness over the lifespan of the batteries, and it is the most solid feeling light I have ever held, however, I have to say that as much as I'm liking the M6, I still prefer the M4 or my M4 Frankenstein if you will. I feel I have at the very least slightly larger than average hand size and despite this, the M6 still feels quite large and bulky in the hands, and attempting to twist the tailcap for constant on with one hand is much more difficult to do on the M6 as it is on the Z41 on my M4 Frankenstein.

I think the longer, thinner body of the M4 feels much better and more comfortable than that of the M6. Also, as I pointed out in my OP, although the situation may never arise, I like the fact than if I ever require a battery change in field, I will have no issues doing so with the M4, whereas with the M6 your SOL. This in my mind is a huge advantage, especially depending on the line of work you may be in.

All in all, the M4 (or 9P Frankenstein if you will) and M6 are great lights, but even though I feel in the minority here, I still prefer the M4.

A real M4 Devestator is going to be my next purchase, I don't care how long a have to save and eat beans:D

Filip

Newly Enlightened
From time to time I add to my 9P/KT2 an 1 x CR123 extender + 1 x 18650 extender making this way a respectable rod of light (or super 9P Frankenstein if you will), as I use it to run HO-M6R on 3 x 18650. AW softstart makes it even better. Last autumn I used it to gather walnuts in our garden during late evening hours - not very practical ;-) but the FM24 diffuser creates such a nice warm wall of light. Great for relaxing and walking in the leaves :).

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
My favourite prawning light is the M4 with a HO-M3T lamp running off 2xAW17670s, gives me 60mins+ of runtime. If I need longer runtimes, I just swap the HO-M3T lamp to a MN15. With the MN15 I get over 90mins of runtime before noticeable dimming.
Looks like I'm going to have to see if I can get some MN15 or the HO-M3T LAs. Picking up a lightly used M4 with both the Z41 and an SW01 (or is it an SW02?) for a song real soon and this post has convinced me that this light should remain an incan.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
The M4 is a great light. It is more efficient at 12 volts than the M6's 9 volt lamp assembly and a lot more slender. I like both lights though a lot so it would be hard to choose one over the other, but the M6 has a lot of aftermarket options for it.

jamesmtl514

Flashlight Enthusiast
I modded my M4 to be one of my grail lights. Because I've made it "perfect" I want to get another as a user.

There's still love for my M6 though.

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently got a mint M4 and it really is a truly phenomenal light. In fact, I don't think I'll even bother upgrading or modding it to LED because I just love it the way it is.

The beam is nice, focused, and round and doesn't have the weird, oval-like ellipse spot my M3 has (another M3 I had once did the same thing. intentional design from Surefire?).

it's so much more grippy than my M3 and the length is just right for me and it uses an even number of cells (4) to power it up (I prefer to use cells in pairs if I can help it... am I weird?).

Barring me ever owning and evaluating an M6, I think the M4 is the perfect light for incandescent use in all honesty.

disclaimer: I have an M3 and it's awesome, too, especially with the MN11 bulb I will say. This post isn't trying to badmouth the M3. Different lights for different needs!

konig

Newly Enlightened
Try using it with 2x 17670 and a LF EO-M3T. Or the M3-head, 2x 17670 an LF LF HO-M3.

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try using it with 2x 17670 and a LF EO-M3T. Or the M3-head, 2x 17670 an LF LF HO-M3.

I may end up ordering the EO-M3T like you're suggesting. I did already order a Lumens Factory HO-M4A (12 volts, 550 lumens) from LightHound today though, so we'll see if it works well for me :)

does the EO-M3T have to be used with M3 turbo heads (when on an M3) or could one make it work on a regular M3?

(I have 2x 17500s I could use in my regular M3)

ASheep

Enlightened
I may end up ordering the EO-M3T like you're suggesting. I did already order a Lumens Factory HO-M4A (12 volts, 550 lumens) from LightHound today though, so we'll see if it works well for me :)

does the EO-M3T have to be used with M3 turbo heads (when on an M3) or could one make it work on a regular M3?

(I have 2x 17500s I could use in my regular M3)

The T in the lumens factory names denotes they are designed for the Turbo Head. If you want to use 2x 17500s in your M3 you'll need the HO/EO-M3 bulb.

I run a HO-M3T in my M4, it provides a great balance between runtime and output. I actually sold my M6, because I found every time I wanted a throwy incan, I'd grab my M4 instead!

Cheers,
Alex

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
The T in the lumens factory names denotes they are designed for the Turbo Head. If you want to use 2x 17500s in your M3 you'll need the HO/EO-M3 bulb.

I run a HO-M3T in my M4, it provides a great balance between runtime and output. I actually sold my M6, because I found every time I wanted a throwy incan, I'd grab my M4 instead!

Cheers,
Alex

oh nice! (particularly regarding you always choosing the M4 w/ HO-M3T over the M6 :D)

I don't have an M3 turbohead but I guess its socket for the bulb is a lot different than a regular M3 head then?

thanks for your post, buddy!

jamesmtl514

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup, i have 3-4 M4 lights and it's among my favorite. It works remarkably well with a nailbender warm dropin and SW01.

WTB: anything, and everything SUREFIRE :)

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
oh nice! (particularly regarding you always choosing the M4 w/ HO-M3T over the M6 :D)

I don't have an M3 turbohead but I guess its socket for the bulb is a lot different than a regular M3 head then?

thanks for your post, buddy!

You have an M3 turbohead now! Just swap heads on the M4/M3...

Also, if you haven't checked out a M6, do it. At one time I had both a M6 and M4, and I sold the M4. I like the beefy M6, and was lucky enough to pick up a PhD-M6 battery pack so now I can run my MN20 as much as I want for free lumens.