My case for the underrated, underloved Surefire M4

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
You have an M3 turbohead now! Just swap heads on the M4/M3...

Also, if you haven't checked out a M6, do it. At one time I had both a M6 and M4, and I sold the M4. I like the beefy M6, and was lucky enough to pick up a PhD-M6 battery pack so now I can run my MN20 as much as I want for free lumens.

oh dang haha, I had absolutely no idea the M3T head was the M4 head lol

thanks for the info man! :)

I do certainly still want an M6 whenever I can afford one. thank you bud!

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Both the M4 and M6 have rechargeable options. Though it's best to bore out the body of the M4 so it can take two 18650s. (If you track one down, you can use a Leef C-M 2x18650 custom body. Good luck finding anyone willing to part with theirs.' Mine definitely is not for sale.) Then just use the right rechargeable lamp from Lumens Factory. If you keep the body absolutely stock, you can use two 17670s instead.

If it ever got down to having to sell either my M6 and its rechargeable set-up or my Leef-bodied M4 and its set-up, I'd part with the M6 if I'm honest.

Last edited:

ASheep

Enlightened
Yup, i have 3-4 M4 lights and it's among my favorite. It works remarkably well with a nailbender warm dropin and SW01.

Why oh Why did you have to mention that Nailbender LED dropin??? Now my wallet will have more reasons to cry... :laughing:
That's another great thing about the M4, the fact that you can use C/P/Z series tailcaps! It opens up more lego options, and also gun mount options!

I wonder how funny a bored M4 would look with 2x cell extenders, running 3x18650 and a HO-M6R bulb... I think that's going on my list of stuff to try!

You have an M3 turbohead now! Just swap heads on the M4/M3...

Also, if you haven't checked out a M6, do it. At one time I had both a M6 and M4, and I sold the M4. I like the beefy M6, and was lucky enough to pick up a PhD-M6 battery pack so now I can run my MN20 as much as I want for free lumens.

M series Lego is fun! Put the M3 head on an M4 body with 2x17670 for longer runtimes, M4 head on M3 body for an M3T.
I loved my M6, but I just never used it. The hassle of having 6x 16340 fully charged was a bit of a downer for me. I had an AW 3 level softstart driver in my M6, medium mode was great with a HO-M6R. I think the PhD-M6 would be a great addon, gives you regulated incan goodness, AND less batteries to charge!

Both the M4 and M6 have rechargeable options. Though it's best to bore out the body of the M4 so it can take two 18650s. (If you track one down, you can use a Leef C-M 2x18650 custom body. Good like finding anyone willing to part with theirs.' Mine definitely is not for sale.) Then just use the right rechargeable lamp from Lumens Factory. If you keep the body absolutely stock, you can use two 17670s instead.

If it ever got down to having to sell either my M6 and its rechargeable set-up or my Leef-bodied M4 and its set-up, I'd part with the M6 if I'm honest.

Mmmmmmmm Leef body.... :drool:I think you should ignore all the M4 love in this thread and sell me that inferior Leef bodied M4 and keep your bigger, better M6... :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Cheers,
Alex

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I put my Leef-bodied M4 together the wrong way. Instead of buying an M4 and then the body, I bought the body first. Then decided to just buy the parts I needed off of the CPF MarketPlace. Though I did get lucky that another member was parting out his M4 and I scored everything but the stock body, I still ended up horribly over-paying when everything was added up.

If you want it, I'd have to rip you off to an obscene degree on the price. I'm too nice of a guy to do that. :)

jamesmtl514

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did someone say 3x18650 M4?
ujahenum.jpg

WTB: anything, and everything SUREFIRE :)

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I prefer the 12ZM for a stock incan.

My M4 has a SW02 and a MD60.

I also have an M4 tube+M3 bezel+MD10.

If you can get one, get a N62 LA. 500 lumens for 12 minutes!

Last edited:

ASheep

Enlightened
Did someone say 3x18650 M4?

The Cavalry has arrived! I'm going to need some quiet time with that picture now... Your collection never fails to disappoint!

I prefer only having to charge 2 cells when I use my lights. That's what I'm going to keep telling myself... :laughing::laughing:

Cheers,
Alex

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
quick question for y'all regarding the M4 bulb options:

- Lumens Factory HO-M4A / 550 Lumens / 35 minutes

versus

- Surefire MN61 / 350 lumens / 20 minutes

is Lumens Factory overrating the HO-M4A bulb on runtime? I have the HO-M4A but don't have an MN61 so I can't currently compare them directly. I'm assuming L-F rates at the bulb and not OTF?

Why such a huge discrepancy in output/runtime between the SF and LF bulbs? Is the LF bulb more recent technology?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Lumens Factory uses emitter lumens. SureFire uses out the front numbers.

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lumens Factory uses emitter lumens. SureFire uses out the front numbers.

gotcha, thanks! but even if we take OTF on the LF bulb, it should probably be ~500 lumens right? there's a huge difference between SF's and LF's offering on that regard

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both and it has been awhile since I ran my M4/12ZM side by side but I do believe both beams are roughly equivalent in output when white wall hunting. The LF bulb puts out a more round beam as I recall. My only gripe about the LF product is the tolerances on the lamp posts. Sometimes you have to sand them down to get them to fit in the reflector assembly or SC2 spares carrier.

kelmo

Monocrom

Flashaholic
gotcha, thanks! but even if we take OTF on the LF bulb, it should probably be ~500 lumens right?

No. Rough estimate is that out the front numbers are going to be about 2/3 of stated emitter lumens.

So that means that the output from the Lumens Factory lamp is (once again, rough estimate) about 367 lumens.

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both and it has been awhile since I ran my M4/12ZM side by side but I do believe both beams are roughly equivalent in output when white wall hunting. The LF bulb puts out a more round beam as I recall. My only gripe about the LF product is the tolerances on the lamp posts. Sometimes you have to sand them down to get them to fit in the reflector assembly or SC2 spares carrier.

kelmo
ah okay, thanks for the input! I can't recall if I paid more than the MN61's MSRP for the LF bulb, but oh well. Thanks bud!
I blew an MN60 awhile back with three fully charged AW IMR16340's. Good luck trying to run an MN60 on three 18650's.
according to the link in his sig:
M4 with SW01 Fatty and KT-4 CB with Nailbender Cree XP-G R4 Flux 5B2 Tint 1-lvl reg. drive 4-16v. max. Cerakote Armor Black

it may be different now, but I'm assuming that may be it? I dunno lol
No. Rough estimate is that out the front numbers are going to be about 2/3 of stated emitter lumens.

So that means that the output from the Lumens Factory lamp is (once again, rough estimate) about 367 lumens.

okay gotcha, thank you! so now we're still left with 15 min runtime. If I had to guess here, knowing that the output on both bulbs is pretty much similar now, maybe SF is quoting "tactical runtime" and LF's runtime is till the cells are totally dead you think?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
That could be a real possibility. But I just honestly haven't run any of my LF bulbs long enough to measure.

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
something I've noticed about my M4 versus M6: the M4 seems to have a tighter beam, at least with the LF HO-M4A. I haven't yet tried an MN61 because when I bought this "new old stock" M4, the MN61 didn't work, but I swear this M4 has a tighter beam than my M6 with the MN21.

Has anyone else noticed this? Or is it like how it is with LEDs in that the smaller the emitting surface/area, the tighter the beam?

edit: I do realize they both use the KT4 head, but I can't be going crazy here. is it because the MN21 has that frosted appearance to it? maybe that diffuses the beam?

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
something I've noticed about my M4 versus M6: the M4 seems to have a tighter beam, at least with the LF HO-M4A. I haven't yet tried an MN61 because when I bought this "new old stock" M4, the MN61 didn't work, but I swear this M4 has a tighter beam than my M6 with the MN21.

Has anyone else noticed this? Or is it like how it is with LEDs in that the smaller the emitting surface/area, the tighter the beam?

edit: I do realize they both use the KT4 head, but I can't be going crazy here. is it because the MN21 has that frosted appearance to it? maybe that diffuses the beam?

Place both lamp assemblies side by side. if the filament heights are not equal as measured from the base of the lamp post that maybe the answer.

kelmo

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
Place both lamp assemblies side by side. if the filament heights are not equal as measured from the base of the lamp post that maybe the answer.

kelmo
not too much of a difference as far as I'm able to tell:
(MN21 -- Lumens Factory HO-M4A -- MN60)
mn21-hom4a-mn60-s.jpg

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Could it be an optical illusion? The MN60 throws an oval beam and the LF HO-M4A beam is nice and round.