My Extreme Fenix TK40 Torture Test.

pOkiE

Newly Enlightened
awesome work man! I dont own a tk40 but am definitely thinking about getting one.

as a semi-flashaholic, I must ask...does this make anyone else cringe? I know its to test durability and what not, but the sight of such a wrecked light makes me feel sad deep down...haha

importculture

Newly Enlightened
Damn, awesome test! I love these threads. Thanks for sacrificing the time and money to do this. Glad the TK40 is holding up so well. I own one and may buy another. Thanks and keep up the good work.

zipplet

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can see my TK40 giving me the evils while I read this thread. Thanks to you I now know my TK40 could survive a drop easily.. :) not that I will drop it deliberately .. ACK I can't stand the thought

vanoord

Newly Enlightened
I've seen a Fenix L1D dropped from 115' onto a slate floor - it lived :)

gsxrac

Enlightened
Sorry i didnt get to do alot, i have read your ideas and will try a few over the weekend and do a write up monday or tuesday. This will be the final test, so it has to be killed hell or hight water.:devil:
Ill try to take more pictures than the first time and maybee a video or two.

Regards.

So I think the 7ft spiral was pretty impressive! Even if it did require a little repair to get it goin ;)

And you tell us whats gonna kill the light. Will it be hell, OR high water? Maybe that could be your test lol dropping it in a camp fire for 30 seconds and if it lives drop it in a deep body of water!

flasherByNight

Enlightened
Just for the record if it still works after all your experimentation
:takeit:
(at a steeply discounted rate of course :D)

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
ARE YOU NUTS :nana: .... lost the light :(

how rich are you :sssh:

Toohotruk

Flashlight Enthusiast
Damn! I was hoping to at least see some more pics of the carnage! :shakehead

Maybe you could do the same (but more documented) tests on a new Quark light? :poke:

AusKipper

Enlightened
I dint record what i done this time, but it included mostly spiraly drops from various heights.

Im definatly doing this again, but with a cheaper light.

What was the highest you dropped it from do you know? still the 7ft?

Also, I already bags the TK20 to test (though it wont be a test to a certain death, if it survives what you did to the TK40, and a 20ft drop onto concrete, and a couple of other things that i dont know will kill it, but i think have a fair chance, then it gets to live :) ) however, i'm still saving up the required amount of money to do such a test.

I would love to see a comparison test done, like say get 3 similar lights from 3 different companies, and compare them :p (though, that might bite into your budget as much at the TK40 lol..).

zipplet

Flashlight Enthusiast
:faint: now for the biggest question ... Is anyone going to try to retrieve the light and see if it still works now?

Kestrel

Flashaholic
I would very much like to see it used to drive nails into a 2x4.

I dint record what i done this time, but it included mostly spiraly drops from various heights, and driving some nails into wood. I got a vid of this, ill see if i can utube it.
[...]
So your cells will fail before the TK40 will in my opinion.
:huh: Thanks for the nail driving, I'd like to see that video if you get it uploaded.

Great conclusion regarding the cells failing due to physical damage before the light failing.

gsxrac

Enlightened
Well this was an awesome test and an awesome gesture. I say we get together a list of things as a CPF community that we would like to see in a torture test and choose one honorary torturer and everybody that can afford to share a few bucks send it to that person to fund these tests. I will volunteer to be a torturer but I dont think id do as good of a job as aussiebob. And when is this getting moved to the reviews section?

alexdiver

Newly Enlightened
i am very pleased that you have done this test because i was pretty worried about dropping my tk40 , at least now i know it will survive a drop, but i sure hope i never drop it because its so nice a mint :)

loanshark

Enlightened
Wow, if I lived within 100 miles of the coordinates I'd already be on the way...

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
My TK40 was up all night with nightmares. You are a bad, bad man....:eek:

:crackup::crackup::crackup:Good one!

This is all good to know...can`t tell you how many time I`ve accidently dragged my lights behind my car...and boiling...