My first flashaholic camping trip

bluepilgrim

Enlightened
Before you put the light in your pack (especially for backpacking) take the batteries out, or it's got 2 cells in-line reverse one of them: the point is to stop the thing from being switched on accidentally when in your pack and ending up that night with dead batteries.

KiwiMark

Flashlight Enthusiast
Before you put the light in your pack (especially for backpacking) take the batteries out, or it's got 2 cells in-line reverse one of them: the point is to stop the thing from being switched on accidentally when in your pack and ending up that night with dead batteries.

Or in some cases you can unscrew the tailcap a half turn to lock out the torch - check the torch first, don't assume.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
My first flashaholic camping trip - Updated one year later - see post #66, + pics

1. 150 lumen C3/M30: Fun, but almost useless for nighttime tasks. :ohgeez:
  2. 70 lumen G2/M60LL: Carried mostly for reassurance in case of getting lost and needing to be searched for, perhaps both high performance and good runtime might then be useful? Again, almost useless for nighttime tasks. :ohgeez:
  3. 65/10 lumen L1: As before, even 10 lumens was too bright for most nighttime tasks. Missed my 2 lumen Luxeon L1. :ohgeez:
  4. Petzl LED AAA older-model Zipka (very small, retractable cord) headlamp: Stated runtime of 120 hours. Used nearly-continuously every evening for the entire trip. It is still on its first set of AAA batteries after receiving it as a gift ~5 years ago.
-------------------------------------------------
Ok, Hunting Trip, Part II (one year later)

Each photo contains the light used last year (left), and the improved replacement used this year (right)

Campinglights001.jpg
g2.jpg
Campinglights003.jpg
Campinglights004.jpg

SureFire C3/M30/2xAA (single mode, ~110 lumens)
replaced by:
SureFire 6P/M60/1x18650/McC2S-120 ohm (two-level, ~220 lumens & ~5 lumens)
Improvements: shorter length, higher high (useful exactly twice), a very useful low, greater runtime, rechargeable

SureFire G2/M60LL/2xCR123 (single mode, ~70 lumens)
retired, long runtimes in a single light was not necessary for this trip – replaced by carrying a spare 18650 for the 6P & 4 spare Duraloop AAA's for the Fenix/Streamlight

SureFire L1/1xCR123
replaced by:
Fenix LD01 head / Streamlight Stylus Pro body / 2xDuraloop AAA's
Improvements: more compact (better for a shirt pocket), comparable on high, hotspot dimmer on low, more useful spill, rechargeable

Petzl Zipka/3xAAA
Unchanged, still proved to be extremely useful. Installed fresh cells for this trip.

So the overall theme of equipment change:
  • Somewhat greater portability, more compact
  • Higher highs, lower lows
  • Comparable runtimes, but carried more spare cells this trip
  • Rechargeable – guilt-free lumens
Last year, my flashlights were rather specialized, doing a poor job of filling the roles of the other lights. This time, my two workhorse flashlights could do the job of the other one extremely well - i.e. improved redundancy. I know, this is only three lights this time rather than four, but I did take my SF C3 / 2x17500 as another backup. :p

Over the past year, I used my initial experience to build a far more useful selection of lights for this trip. :twothumbs

Last edited:

elumen8

Enlightened
Re: My first flashaholic camping trip - Updated one year later - see post #66, + pics

-------------------------------------------------
Ok, Hunting Trip, Part II (one year later)

Campinglights003.jpg

Fenix LD01 head / Streamlight Stylus Pro body / 2xDuraloop AAA's
Improvements: more compact (better for a shirt pocket), comparable on high, hotspot dimmer on low, more useful spill, rechargeable

So the overall theme of equipment change:
  • Somewhat greater portability, more compact
  • Higher highs, lower lows
  • Comparable runtimes, but carried more spare cells this trip
  • Rechargeable – guilt-free lumens
Over the past year, I used my initial experience to build a far more useful selection of lights for this trip. :twothumbs

Kestrel, great selection update for your camping trip...I have just about the exact same setup for my outings. Can I ask about your Fenix/Streamlight Lego...you use rechargeables, does it work ok with AAA primaries?

JB

RGB_LED

Enlightened
Wow Kestrel, thanks for updating your thread - it made for interesting reading and I'm glad I'm not the only one who experienced this. Btw, nice choice on the SF 6P / M60 / McC2S. :cool: Let me know if you ever get rid of the McC2S... :grin2:

I had a similar issue when I used to bring my lights camping, which included a PT Apex, Dereelight CL1H V3 and HDS U60 and it was almost embarrassing as a Flashoholic to realize that the lights were just overpowering. The only times they came in handy were: when I used the Apex on low for clean-up and during a night hike to a nearby lake when the Apex pretty much illuminated the trail and everyone else put away their lights. :eek: These days, I bring 3 lights: Zebralight H50 or H30 for 95% of the tasks, HDS U60 as backup (programmed the low to minimum) and a SF 6P / M60 / 18650... just for fun. ;) Sadly, I don't have the McC2S w/ 2 levels. :mecry:

+1 for the Zebralight for camping and backpacking.
My Zebralights some of my favourite and most useful lights. +4 for the Zebralight!

mossyoak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Southland with a RedBull in one hand and iPhon
well, i sold my zebra to a friend, and have replaced it with a pt EOS rebel, i actually like it better than the zebra, its got a nice warm tint thats a little more throwy but still immensely floodtastic. its been used plenty outdoors, and has made it my permanent choice for backpacking.

i have my Aeon around my neck, it doesnt get used, but its always on me and weights nil so i take it with me into the woods to. its drop dead reliable and runs forever, ive never been more impressed with a light than by the aeon. its my all time favoite.

i bring a 123x2 quark along to for the output and for its kickass long runtime on low.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Can I ask about your Fenix/Streamlight Lego...you use rechargeables, does it work ok with AAA primaries?
Actually its works great with 2xAAA Alkalines as well (I ran it that way for a few months), I can't discern any difference in output, and it goes for about an hour on 'high', about the same as Duraloops. (So, yes, I'm assuming the output is a little lower as runtime is comparable, but I really don't think it's that noticible.)
Wow Kestrel, thanks for updating your thread - it made for interesting reading and I'm glad I'm not the only one who experienced this. Btw, nice choice on the SF 6P / M60 / McC2S. :cool: Let me know if you ever get rid of the McC2S... :grin2:
Ahem, that might be a while. :devil:

Besides my 'user' McC2s in a Z41-BK (pictured, on the 6P), I have a 'user' McE2s in my EDC SF E1 / P7, and yes, there is just no substitute, is there? (I also have a mint McC2s in a mint Z41-HA tailcap just waiting for a suitable host). So I'm fortunate to be relatively well-provisioned with these, being a rather recent arrival to CPF. :)

BTW after trying the 60-ohm & the 120-ohm with an M60/2x17500 (getting ~20 lumens and ~10 lumens respectively), I am now using the 120-ohm on 1x18650 in the 6P/M60, and getting ~5 lumens or so – just about perfect.

I had a similar issue when I used to bring my lights camping, which included a PT Apex, Dereelight CL1H V3 and HDS U60 and it was almost embarrassing as a Flashoholic to realize that the lights were just overpowering.
Yeah, it was funny to have all those awesome lights last year just to find out how little use they had without good lows. :eek:

Last edited:

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree, super low outputs rock. I'm glad I got a Quark Ti, I love the moon mode, can't wait to see how it holds up at camp.

When I go camping over the summer, usually for scout camp, I bring my Fenix LD20, a mini-mag-LED (great flood light when the head is removed), a headlamp (usually my Princeton tec Aurora), and a mini-mag with a red nite-ize 3 LED drop-in.

And assorted batteries, of course. I tend to use my LD20 mostly, and recycle the depleted L91's through my mini mag with the red drop-in. Gonna have to stop doing that, though as I think the voltage is too much, and I've fried two of the LED's.

I still like the appeal of super-bright lights, for the shock value.
evilgrin07.gif

Justintoxicated

Flashlight Enthusiast
With no moon you need less light around camp, not only that but headlamps are more practical than flashlight because they free up your hands. Hiking round is where you want the bright light in hand. However when I head out to the sand dunes I do prefer bright lights.

If I drop something in the sand I want a Bright light to be able to find it. If I need to see something far away, again I want a bright light, with a ton of throw. if i want to signal someone to pull into camp, I want as bright a light as possible so they can head in the right direction (lots of bright camps in the area).

Cooking I want a semi bright light as well 1 watt white luxeon is fine.

Deflating tires, setting up a tent etc I don't need as much light.

Having drunk campers chasing drunk girls by the campfire and yelling "get on the ground, get on the ground" like a cop while holding a multi Luxeon / Cree flashlight, and not letting them go to bed early.... priceless.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 on low low

I modified my Fenix Filters to block out some of the light and imitate the low low on the Quark, but with a green filter... perfect light for just about anything around camp and also for night hiking without disturbing anyone. It also turns out to be a good light to watch bats... they seem to be very curious about it, but the bugs keep away :grin2:

I still keep a good strong thrower at hand's reach just in case, but end up using it just for fun (expecially if it's humid or foggy)

KiwiMark

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm camping for 2 nights this weekend, the hardest thing - trying to cut the number of lights to take to a dozen or less. Some I have to take to try out like my new Surefire A2, others I have to take because they are useful.

I'll definitely be taking:
Zebralight H60w
Jetbeam Jet-IIIM warm tint
A Maglite

These 3 are the basics that I could easily work with and leave everything else at home . . . I said I COULD, that isn't the same as I WOULD! The Jetbeam makes a good backup thrower for the Maglite just in case I blow a bulb or something and it also has the lowest low I have, equaled only by my Quark (both are warm tint). The H60w is too useful to not take - hands free flood light is great for any tasks at night. The Maglite is my powerhouse light - an incan with more output than a MCE and with better colour rendition than any LED.

Instead of 3 lights I'll actually take as well:
Another Maglite
Quark AA neutral
Surefire A2 Aviator
My 3 EDC lights (NiteCore D10, Olight Ti Infinitum, Liteflux LF2XT)
A couple of Minimags as potential loaners.

Well that's 11 if I stop there - so hard to not toss in a few more that I probably wont use because I already have all the ones I listed.

Oooh, almost forgot - I had better take my MG-PLI so that I can have a play with that too.

There - 12 lights! Unless I also take . . .

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
I am packing right now for a short camping/hiking trip on the AT. Just an overnighter as must work on Sunday. The pack is overloaded with Tipi and wood stove as looking to do only 10-15 miles and it is getting dark fast so went with camp comforts. Here is what I am putting in the Argon 85 right now.

1. ZL H501w.
2. E01 with jackstrap, yellow paracord loop and homemade crazy glue diffuser.
3. O-light T10.
4. 2 Lithium AA, 1 NiMH AA and one NiMH AAA as my backup batteries not that I will need them. I could change out the T10 body for a T15 but don't care about a packing the same battery type on a short trip.

Well gotta get back to packing up.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm camping for 2 nights this weekend, the hardest thing - trying to cut the number of lights to take to a dozen or less.[...].

Last time I went camping for two nights, I ended up bringing an extra backpack just for flashlights... a FULL backpack of flashlights. And to say that my latest purchases had been made with the intention that I wouldn't have to bring more than 5 or 6 and could get by with only 3 ... :sick:

Tremendo

Enlightened
We've done recent camping as well. I give my sons 1 each of the the good but cheaper lights (Fenix PD20 & Akoray k-106 on 14500), My wife uses her Rex 2.0 1xAA, and I do most things with my EDC: Quark Ti 1xAA tactical on 14500. I keep a Nitecore Defender Infinity in my pocket as my spair or 2nd light when I need 2, and a couple extra lights in a bag, just in case: Surefire U2 & SF G2 with LED.

I find I can do most everything with just my EDC, I keep it set for Med/Max or Low/Max. If I have it set on Med/Max, I can keep my NDI in my pocket on LowLow/Max, and have most of my needs covered. Inside the tent I keep small keychain lights around, as anything above low is normally too high.

AvPD

Enlightened
I've been on a few flashaholic camping trips with progressively more toys, I invested in a H60W and found that high (91 lm) and Medium-high (37 lm) were the most useful, these lumens are spread out evently though.

Now with a decent headlamp I find that I no longer need lanterns quite so much to provide illumination, although I have a couple of decent LED lanterns and no longer take gas lantern equipment with me as a backup.

What I want now is a headlamp that emits yellow light so don't have to work in the dark when I get swarmed by bugs. There's no yellow power LEDs on DX so it looks like filtering will be the way to go.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
What I want now is a headlamp that emits yellow light so don't have to work in the dark when I get swarmed by bugs. There's no yellow power LEDs on DX so it looks like filtering will be the way to go.
What about a yellow 5mm LED and a 1xCR123 'battery vampire' configuration like in the thread by AngelOfWar, but applied to a headlamp? Not bright enough maybe?
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=237648

Last edited:

AvPD

Enlightened
What about a yellow 5mm LED and a 1xCR123 'battery vampire' configuration like in the thread by AngelOfWar, but applied to a headlamp? Not bright enough maybe?
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=237648

I've thought of replacing the LEDs on a cheap headlamp with yellow 5mm LEDs, direct driving an (amber) power LED in a 2xAA headlamp housing which I already have is another option.

sku_9078_3_small.jpg
sku_1293_1_small.jpg
sku_11013_4_small.jpg
sku_1290_1_small.jpg

The third option is buying a pair of 3D glasses and making a filter for my RC-N3 which I can clip onto a hat.

sku_23161_1_small.jpg
sku_9070_7_small.jpg