My first Surefire. Impressed by Incan 6P Defender

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like many on this forum, I have plenty of incandescents and LED flashlights. I usually use the LEDs for indoors and when I need longer battery life. The only incandescent I would bring most times is my trusty old Surefire A2. It's LEDs appear to have been specially chosen by PK to give a bad name to LED color rendition. ;)

What the incandescent forum needs to come back from the graveyard status is a regulated incandescent that runs on rechargeables. Too bad no manufacturers see new development of hot wires as a good market.

Surefire A2. ;) Throw a couple of IMR16340's in there and you're good to go. Just make sure not to discharge the batteries too far.

I think they should have made a 7.2V version though, or something in the 6 volt range. 3.7-4V lamps are just too dim IMO.

Last edited:

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the tip, ampdude! I will check this out.

That was one of my favorite things about the A2, being able to switch between rechargeables and primaries without changing the lamp or length of the body. Softstart is a nice feature it has as well. I used to use it with rechargeables at work all the time.

Last edited:

Dude Dudeson

Enlightened
Sometimes when I go outside and fire up some of my better incandescents, and am greeted with wonderful full spectrum light, I sometimes say to myself, is there something that I'm missing here? Am I the only one that still enjoys the quality of light these breed of illumination tools produce I ask myself? The LED forum rolls on and on, with new post's every single day about the latest and greatest LED lights, yet the incandescent forum sometimes feels like a graveyard.

It's sad that so many scoff at the notion of using an incandescent flashlight because they look at some spec sheet and say "this many lumens for only that long? I can get an LED that does triple that!", when unfortunately they don't seem to understand there is more to the story than numbers on a spec sheet. Not all lumens are created equal.

I can fully appreciate where you're coming from - I used to work in an automotive paint shop. "Eyeballing" a color match is frowned upon in the industry (there's computer formulas for this), but those only go so far, and sometimes you don't have a choice. When that happens there is only ONE light source to use - the Sun. Not even the best incandescent artificial lighting can suffice there.

It really just comes down to needs. If I needed to track blood, identify the color of a suspect's shirt WITH PRECISION, or do any serious "color sensitive" work with a flashlight I'd go high performance incandescent right now.

But for me, and most flashlight users, we're better off with high lumens and runtime without the hassle of lithium ion batteries/chargers, filaments that break, sourcing bulbs, etc.

The fact that LED is "taking over" is not a random thing - it is happening not just for a reason, but a multitude of reasons.

LED (for most of us) is just simply more practical.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The irony for me is LEDs have given my E2e/6P/9P more life. My primary light when camping or night hiking is a good LED headlamp. This gives me the luxury of carrying my incans because I don't need to run them constantly.

Sure incans dim as one drains the cells but it is not a sudden brown out. The P60 really stays quite white as the cells are discharged IMHO.

To each his own. Most of my lights that are in use are incans. As long as I can afford to feed them it will stay that way.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
The irony for me is LEDs have given my E2e/6P/9P more life. My primary light when camping or night hiking is a good LED headlamp. This gives me the luxury of carrying my incans because I don't need to run them constantly.

Sure incans dim as one drains the cells but it is not a sudden brown out. The P60 really stays quite white as the cells are discharged IMHO.

To each his own. Most of my lights that are in use are incans. As long as I can afford to feed them it will stay that way.

I wish more incans were regulated, from the factory (beyond buying parts from guys on the internet, & modifying them). Having regulated output is my favorite thing about LED's, even moreso than their higher outputs & increased runtimes. I just always want to change a 6P's batteries too soon. imagine if S.F. had released an entire series like the A2. Would have been nice. I heard they did have some more in the works at some point. Someone probably has some sweet prototypes out there.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yes, it's mostly alkalines and to a lesser extent ni-cad/nimh that suffer from this problem. Lithium powered lights don't suffer from this as badly. Especially li-ion ones. The whole regulated incan thing never did impress me as something that is necessary with lithium flashlights. Perhaps it would have been put to better use if the A2 Aviator had been released as a three battery 6 volt regulated light.

Last edited: