My little 10Watt HID MONSTER

donpedrobrightlight

Newly Enlightened
i won't lie, ive got the time and connections to make that thing, i'm willing to work it, why the resistance to the release of the plans or even just the parts list? Sell the plans or parts list, put it out as a kit. I am a paramedic with High angle low angle helo rescue training, i'm an avid outdoorsman and can tell you that even at 200-300 a pop you would have takers all day long. its an old thread but an outstanding achievment.

eyeballpaul

Newly Enlightened
hello, absolutely nice build, hope it still working since 2006.. i'm new to flashlights and especially HIDs, but i'm searching for low wattage DC HID lamp and can't find retail sell for adequate price. Can anyone please help where can i find such lamp, or at least tell how much it cost? Thanks a lot..

IlluminatedOne

Newly Enlightened
The low wattage HID lamps were made by Welch Allyn's called a solarc.
They only sell them with a minimum order of a certain amount but they do come up for sale from time to time in the CPF marketplace:
I did a search for Solarc and it came up with quite a few hits
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/search.php?searchid=279197

There were also a run of Maglite HID which were a modified maglite with the solarc bulb and ballast if you search for HID mag it should come up with a few things.

I am sure others on here could better point you in the right direction.

eyeballpaul

Newly Enlightened
$60 That's better then i found, but is there any chance of getting cheaper Taiwan or China models?

BVH

Flashaholic
Back when I joined, the Mag 10 Watt HID was a "very big deal" but from that time to now, I do not recall anyone here on CPF finding better pricing on these bulbs.

Ra

Flashlight Enthusiast
$60 That's better then i found, but is there any chance of getting cheaper Taiwan or China models?

Hi ebp.. First, yes, it still works fine, and I use it a lot. For instance as a high luminance source in one of my optical test benches (building telescopes)
I also tried some cheaper china bulbs, but they were absolute crap! Only Welch Allyn managed to build a well performing 10 watt HID..
With the low 10 watts of power, the thickness of the bulb is very important! The cheaper Taiwan or Chinese bulbs are much thicker due to the cheaper
manufacturing process, and there is the biggest problem: Those thicker bulbs do not warm up hot enough to sufficiently evaporate the ingredients,
so compared to Solarc, light output is very poor.
Welch Allyn succeeded in making the bulb thin enough to reach the desired temperature, but at the same time cope with the huge internal pressure.

With higher wattage bulbs, this is less of a problem because there mostly is sufficient power to make the bulb reach the desired operation temperature.
The Solarc 10 Watt HID bulb is the smallest reliable HID bulb on this planet..

Regards,

Ra.

Ra

Flashlight Enthusiast
what's the color temperature of the light? it looks really blue..

Yes, high CRI is not the strongest point of this light! Only light output and throw are..

The colortemperature is a mere 6700-7000K..

Regards,

Ra.