my new 2250 lumens pocket size ssr-90 5 modes flashlight

Al Combs

Enlightened
I use a 5 mode driver from my mte sf-15 (the mte sf-22 has the same driver)

the power mosfet of this driver can draw 71 amp with heatsink

the power consumption of the mosfet at 9 amp its only :0.1v (v drain-source) x 9 amp = 0.9w

this mosfet its very big:
power mosfet transistor t70n03

q1: power mosfet t70n03( 71 amp max)
ic1: microcontroler 12f629 http://talkingelectronics.com/projec...12F629-P1.html
d2: protection led
d1: protection ic1

with this 5 mode driver current draw in high mode its only 7.5-8.2 amp because v drain-source its 0.1v (-0.1v with the driver)

7.5-8.2 amp with the aw18650 imr at 4.2v full chargued

I tested too it direct drived bypassing the mosfet

direct dived more than 10 amp with the aw 18650 imr full chargued (4.2v)

I wonder if I could ask a few questions about your driver mod? You upgraded the MOSFET to take the greater power requirements of the SST-90. Was that the only component that needed changing? I'm guessing that means you had to change the programming of the pic controller for the SST-90 to draw more current. Could you give some details on what was changed in the code?

moviles

Enlightened
I wonder if I could ask a few questions about your driver mod? You upgraded the MOSFET to take the greater power requirements of the SST-90. Was that the only component that needed changing? I'm guessing that means you had to change the programming of the pic controller for the SST-90 to draw more current. Could you give some details on what was changed in the code?

Better yet, do you have a spare driver to sell?? Let me know.

Thanks!
AlexGT

I have only analyzed the circuit of the mte sf-15 I have not modified it

the mte sf-22 have the same circuit

change the programming of the pic controller for the SST-90 to draw more current its not necesary. at 4.2v(battery full chargued) with ssc p7 current draw its arround 3.5-3.9 amp and with sst-90 current draw its 7.5-8.2 amp

this mod is very very cheap and easy , in mid is very brilliant and efficient . and in high are really really powerful

options if you want make it:
with my 5 modes driver with power mosfet:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.22567 ( its 5 modes not 4)
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.22574 (not good build quality, the sf-15 its better)
is not a boost driver (only more than 8 amp the first minutes)

or if you want 10 amp this model its direct drived in high mode:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.15739
but in mid mode have a resistor (dont have driver) low efficiency

Last edited:

moviles

Enlightened
Thanx for the reply, sorry I meant the ssr-50. You said you direct drive the -50, can you please say what cell you're using, etc.

my SSR-50 flashlight its direct drived with aw 18650 imr current draw its 5.3 amp with the battery at 4.2v (full chargued).....the spot its really nice also with small reflector .but its only a little little little bit more powerfull than ssc p7 bin D @ 4.65 amp

Last edited:

moviles

Enlightened
Nice job man well done to get this thing going in such a small size.

Thankyou for the pic chip link also

-Dan

I love the size of my new SST-90 flashlight is equal of powerful in luxes in a closed room than my 24w HID and more powerfull than 2 p7 flashlights, and really small compared with the hid 24w

2s97yqc.jpg

with lights of the room on:
29n7yg0.jpg

and HID after 2 minutes runtime(at 100%)

but HID its more thrower(the reflector of my sst-90 flashlight its small compared with the reflector of the hid 24w)

Last edited:

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
So Moviles, you have the SF-15 driver plain stock as it comes from DX and you only used thicker wires to the SST-90 led? Right?

AlexGT

Al Combs

Enlightened
change the programming of the pic controller for the SST-90 to draw more current its not necesary. at 4.2v(battery full chargued) with ssc p7 current draw its arround 3.5-3.9 amp and with sst-90 current draw its 7.5-8.2 amp

Thank you for the additional info. I didn't realize you hadn't changed the MOSFET on the regulator. I incorrectly assumed from the link on the pic controller and the MOSFET specs you were basically saying, "this is the road if you care to go down it." My mistake.

So if I'm understanding this correctly now, it's not a regulator at all. It's a pwm dimmer like TaskLED's popular D2Flex. Essentially a direct drive circuit at full power minus whatever minimal voltage drop there is from the MOSFET's internal resistance or RDS(on) value of 6.6 m-ohm. I already have a couple of AW's IMR 18650's. I'll have to get an SF-15 and an SSR-90 to do a little experimenting.:devil:

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
You should definitely try this LED in a light that has halfway decent heatsinking potential, such as a D maglite, where you can put the LED on a large Aluminum Heatsink (and maybe use a maglite with finned heads.

Or, you could get a 6D maglite and use one IMR 26650, and fill the rest of it with ice. However, there could be some issues with shorts...

What is the Vf of the LED? I thought these larger high output LEDs tended to need 20+ volts, since they were never intended for portable lighting sources.

moviles

Enlightened
Thank you for the additional info. I didn't realize you hadn't changed the MOSFET on the regulator. I incorrectly assumed from the link on the pic controller and the MOSFET specs you were basically saying, "this is the road if you care to go down it." My mistake.

So if I'm understanding this correctly now, it's not a regulator at all. It's a pwm dimmer like TaskLED's popular D2Flex. Essentially a direct drive circuit at full power minus whatever minimal voltage drop there is from the MOSFET's internal resistance or RDS(on) value of 6.6 m-ohm. I already have a couple of AW's IMR 18650's. I'll have to get an SF-15 and an SSR-90 to do a little experimenting.:devil:
So Moviles, you have the SF-15 driver plain stock as it comes from DX and you only used thicker wires to the SST-90 led? Right?

AlexGT

step one remove the p7star , put the ssr-90 star and substitute the wires by copper wires

2dl1ai1.jpg
2ur6y5e.jpg

step two repair the springs we need very very low resistence and the springs have high resistence:
springs resistence +internal battery resistence+ swich resistence + mosfet internal resistence+wires resistence + body resistence+ contacts resistence must be < 4.2-3.6v(vled)/9 amp= 0.066 ohm
the total resitence must be < 66 mohm if we want 9 amp

deratv.jpg

25i3ok9.jpg
j7sp6g.jpg

2vlphyd.jpg
2u3ywlg.jpg

step three feels the power

Last edited:

moviles

Enlightened
You should definitely try this LED in a light that has halfway decent heatsinking potential, such as a D maglite, where you can put the LED on a large Aluminum Heatsink (and maybe use a maglite with finned heads.

Or, you could get a 6D maglite and use one IMR 26650, and fill the rest of it with ice. However, there could be some issues with shorts...

What is the Vf of the LED? I thought these larger high output LEDs tended to need 20+ volts, since they were never intended for portable lighting sources.

this mod is only to obtain the max luminous power in pocket size when I want, and in mid mode its very brilliant and efficient, around 400 lumens in mid mode:thumbsup:

I am going to also buy another ssr-90 for make a large flashlight

v led at 8-8.2 amp is around 3.56v with battery full charged

Last edited:

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's a horrible heat sink for a P7 and even worse for the SST-90 at full power.

moviles

Enlightened
That's a horrible heat sink for a P7 and even worse for the SST-90 at full power.

The only way to discover the limits of the possible is to go beyond them into the impossible

for this mod I want the max luminous power in pocket size

I really love to listen to the people to say what the f*** its that when I turn on the high mode:crackup:

lolzertank

Enlightened
The only way to discover the limits of the possible is to go beyond them into the impossible

for this mod I want the max luminous power in pocket size

I really love to listen to the people to say what the f*** its that when I turn on the high mode:crackup:

Output drops significantly at high junction temperatures. I doubt you're getting more than 1000 lumens OTF. Anyone have a extra integrating sphere?

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Output drops significantly at high junction temperatures. I doubt you're getting more than 1000 lumens OTF. Anyone have a extra integrating sphere?

Yeah, it's a waste of energy. Mrgman could test it.

Last edited:

moviles

Enlightened

according to my measurements with luxometer in a closed room I obtain 1350-1400 true lumens.

they are not 2250 lumens but its ok for me for this size

in high mode is equal of powerful than my hid 24w(1400 true lumens) and more powerful than 2 flashlights p7 bin D together (1 p7 bin D flashlight @ 4amp =600-700 true lumens)

in mid mode I obtain 350-400 lumens with really high efficiency

Last edited:

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
moviles, is it possible to get this or similar 10 Amp pwm chip without buying sf-15 flashlight?

Last edited:

Latest posts