my new 2250 lumens pocket size ssr-90 5 modes flashlight

moviles

Enlightened
moviles, is it possible to get this or similar 10 Amp pwm chip without buying sf-15 flashlight?

I never have seen a power mosfet transistor as large as this in another driver of flashlight

you can buy a large power mosfet chanel N 70amp for 1$ and to control it with another low-power driver pwm

Last edited:

lolzertank

Enlightened
according to my measurements with luxometer in a closed room I obtain 1350-1400 true lumens.

they are not 2250 lumens but its ok for me for this size

in high mode is equal of powerful than my hid 24w(1400 true lumens) and more powerful than 2 flashlights p7 bin D together (1 p7 bin D flashlight @ 4amp =600-700 true lumens)

in mid mode I obtain 350-400 lumens with really high efficiency

What is your reference light? None of the lights in your sig qualify for being a reference. They're all horribly overdriven (by the way, you'll probably get more light out of that RC-G2 if you lower the drive current to about 1A...) and have the same problems as this light. I believe you said you own a Jetbeam, but super throwers tend to not so good for ceiling bounce/lightbox measurements. Either way, lightbox/ceiling bounce is really not that accurate in the first place.

I might try that, do you know which drivers on Dx or Kai are pwm ?

The AMC7135 multimode drivers are PWM. Just desolder the 7135 chips and toss in an $6, slightly overkill, 240A, logic level MOSFET http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=IRLS3034TRL7PPCT-ND

At 10A, you'll only be dissipating 140mW of heat!

moviles

Enlightened
What is your reference light?

the 1400 lumens tactical hid 24W the jetbeam jet 1 pro v2 and some others
bfesk4.jpg

Last edited:

moviles

Enlightened
its very hard to obtain more of 8,6 amp with the driver,i need to reduce the total resistance to obtain 9 amps, yesterday improving all the points of electric contact but only obtain 8,6 amps:hairpull:

I am thinking for my next sst-90 flashlight about put it direct drived with two ways(hi ,mid ,off) with resistance in low mode, direct drived obtain easily 10,5 amps and many more lux than with the circuit (I have also taken it lux measurements direct drived) .the efficiency will be smaller in mid mode but I prefer this way and obtain more than 9 amp

obtain the max luminous power in the smallest size its the only thing matters for me for this mods flaslights

Last edited:

overdog

Enlightened
Hello Moviles,
I am newbie in this forum, best respects for your work- flashlight as small as it can be- and max lumens! Ordered yesterday on Dx the MTE, ordered 3 days ago SST-90 with & without star from german dealer on stock(!) to rebuild your ideas- and in my opinion all the bad posts according to your work are the same as those, who will never accept, that a SSC P7 will never be driven under full power in a 12,00 cm host without a heatsink, cooled by something like the ice age or anything else like armageddon, ... poooof... :). By the way i am building a 5x SSC P7 in an Ultrafire wf-500 host, direkt driven by 5x 18650, sunday i´ll push the button- if i am still alive, i´ll post a picture...
Moviles- thanks for your ideas and best regards from germany,
Steffen

moviles

Enlightened
ordered 3 days ago SST-90 with & without star from german dealer on stock(!) .

Moviles- thanks for your ideas and best regards from germany,
Steffen

what dealer? you can buy only one ssr-90? bin? how much euros the ssr-90 and sent cost?? im in europe too

overdog

Enlightened
Hello, I got this adress to order from someone from Avnet in Germany:
http://www.amu-electronics.com/9.html
I ordered only one single SSR-90-W65S-R11-GK100 and SST-90-W65S-R11-GK100, I ordered wednesday and hope ill receive them on monday- price you have to request, cause he offered me a special for both, but expect something under 30,00€/ per piece.

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry if this post is negative, but I still think this is a bad idea.
Al Combs said:
I saw another post of yours where everyone kept telling you you can't beat physics, blah, blah, blah. It's a good thing you didn't listen. Very nice project. :cool:
I seriously doubt he's getting very good performance at all, and the other thread was mostly about safety regarding drawing 3+ amps from a LiCoO2 14500 cell. as I said, lucky he's using a IMR in this mod.
moviles said:
according to my measurements with luxometer in a closed room I obtain 1350-1400 true lumens.
...how are you getting lumens from a luxmeter?
Nitroz said:
That's a horrible heat sink for a P7 and even worse for the SST-90 at full power.
+1....
moviles said:
The only way to discover the limits of the possible is to go beyond them into the impossible
safety is still a top priority... It isn't worth the risk of a exploding Li-ion cell just because you wanted the quick thrill of an uber bright light for a few seconds.
moviles said:
for this mod I want the max luminous power in pocket size
I really love to listen to the people to say what the f*** its that when I turn on the high mode:crackup:
I agree with you here, though. :devil:. but, with the current public, it doesnt take too many lumens for someone to say that..
Output drops significantly at high junction temperatures. I doubt you're getting more than 1000 lumens OTF.
Another +1.
movilles, can you do a runtime with your luxmeter? turn the light on and record lux values every 30seconds or so?

Oznog

Enlightened
Your transistor selection looks WAY off!

The cmt70n03 is a 1-3v threshold. You need significantly MORE voltage than the threshold to turn it on all the way, and turn it on quickly. Failure to do either will result in lots and lots of heat.

Your schematic shows a diode protecting the PIC, so even assuming it's a Schottky, that's 3.9v-2.2v Vgs. You need a FAR lower Vth than this! This is at high risk of current going into saturation region, which will probably let the magic smoke leak out.

Also the capacitance is a huge issue. The heat generated during switching will typically be much greater than that generated due to I^2*Rds-on heating.

In fact, bigger current ratings typically mean proportionally higher capacitance (given similar construction), and thus the part actually can handle LESS current during switching with a modest gate drive like a PIC than one with a lower rating.

Another thing, the current ratings across different packages is funny. See the rating is based on how much heat it'll take to damage the junction. Bigger packages get higher ratings not because they've got lower resistance, but because of greater dissipation. Consequently, they're often higher rds-on and less efficient than the same current rating in a much smaller package.

Another significant factor, the ripple rating of the input cap. Tantalums typically have "high" ripple current rating for their size, but in these tiny caps it's still pretty small. I've had tantalums several times larger than these in flashlight drivers that can only handle like 200mA PWM'ed off a lithium cell before overheating. I found better ones which can handle more, but the tech's pushing it. Ceramic MLCC typically has MUCH lower ESR, and there are some darn high capacitance ones in tiny packages now.

Last edited:

mellowman

Newly Enlightened
What kind of run times and lumen output do you get in medium mode? How hot does it get in this mode?

How did you mod the springs? Can't tell what those are from the pics.

Also, what gauge of copper wires?

thxs. sweet mod btw.

moviles

Enlightened
What kind of run times and lumen output do you get in medium mode? How hot does it get in this mode?

How did you mod the springs? Can't tell what those are from the pics.

Also, what gauge of copper wires?

thxs. sweet mod btw.

in mid mode around 2-2.5hours, around 350 lumens with battery at 4.23v,the max temperature its only around 38 C (mid mode)... but now I maked it direct drived and have only the high mode because no way to get more than 8.6 amp with circuit(its necessary a really very very very low resistance)

the springs: its necessary repair the sprigs because springs have high resistance and I need very very high pressure on the electric contacts to obtain great current and output

great area of contact is necessary too for dont destroy the bottom of the battery with the high pressure necessary

deratv.jpg

1zf3og8.jpg

Last edited:

moviles

Enlightened
The cmt70n03 is a 1-3v threshold. You need significantly MORE voltage than the threshold to turn it on all the way

ok,its all true :thumbsup:
but no room into the drop-in for boost circuit for the pic , since 1 week I have it direct drive because its really hard get high currents with the aw18650 imr and only 4.23v

Iwill make it with 3 modes switch high (dd) mid (resistor) and off

Last edited:

moviles

Enlightened
since around 2 weeks I have it with SKU 15739 switch ,2 mode high direct drived and low with resistor

10 amp in high mode and more output
241jsjb.jpg

left mte sf15 with ssr-90 right aurora SKU 15739 with tiablo collimator and ez900

I want buy more SSR-90 for make more custom flashlights but no way to buy, no stock everywhere

I prefer the high bin SSR-90-W65S-R11-GN100 but the cheap SSR-90-W65S-R11-GK100 low bin its ok too

edit
:the best its the GN102

ml0br5.jpg

Last edited:

mohdsharir

Newly Enlightened
I love the size of my new SST-90 flashlight is equal of powerful in luxes in a closed room than my 24w HID and more powerfull than 2 p7 flashlights, and really small compared with the hid 24w

2s97yqc.jpg

with lights of the room on:
29n7yg0.jpg

and HID after 2 minutes runtime(at 100%)

but HID its more thrower(the reflector of my sst-90 flashlight its small compared with the reflector of the hid 24w)

:wave::candle::oops::oops::oops:
Dear MOVILE or anyone,
seems that all of you are really good at this mod flashlight..however may i ask...
Can you mod a flashlight, using sst 90 that can give a +-100% throw more than 2 hours ?...and if you can...can you email me at [email protected] the price that you wanna quote for it...including shipping/ batteries/ charger to Malaysia..thanks

stinky

Newly Enlightened
:wave::candle::oops::oops::oops:
Dear MOVILE or anyone,
seems that all of you are really good at this mod flashlight..however may i ask...
Can you mod a flashlight, using sst 90 that can give a +-100% throw more than 2 hours ?...and if you can...can you email me at [email protected] the price that you wanna quote for it...including shipping/ batteries/ charger to Malaysia..thanks

you may want this, if you can talk wayne into making another one for you:

Blaster, the Next Generation: Luminus Phlatlight SSR-90, 1,750 lumens, 13,000 lux

baterija

Flashlight Enthusiast
movilles, can you do a runtime with your luxmeter? turn the light on and record lux values every 30seconds or so?

That would be VERY interesting to see how well the small light handles the thermal issues. Even if it was just a manual reading of the meter every 30seconds for a couple minutes.