my new 2250 lumens pocket size ssr-90 5 modes flashlight

moviles

Enlightened
some updates:

I have two of this flashlights since 6 months

I have one with 50mm aspherical lens and the other with 42mm aspherical lens from kaidomain

day:
2u7ngw4.jpg
11kfla8.jpg

v5h1yx.jpg

iso 800 0.8 sec
1zfk8lc.jpg

w1tus3.jpg

2wflp1w.jpg

with one of these I got more than 9 amp the first seconds with the battery fullchargued at 4.23v , I think this sst-90 have very low vf . with the other SST-90 no way to get more than 7.5 amp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZ1mLxN6aFA

vs the c78:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8j2pc9eIQM

vs car lights and vs street lights recorded with cheap camera:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BFoSACR3oA

now Im looking for some 1x26650 host for get some more runtime

Last edited:

okarina

Newly Enlightened
:rock::goodjob:

The videos are great!

How the AW18650 handle this hight current? Doesn't the lifetime will be too short or simply once it will dead on next time you wanna use the light :confused:
I wanna build a light similar to that soon, but I'm affraid of that high current :thinking:

Noctis

Enlightened
now Im looking for some 1x26650 host for get some more runtime
FiveMega sells those, but before spending money on that, you'd have to find a switch that can handle the current.

My McClicky switch got fried when I tried doing this in my Surefire 6P host.

Frankly I'm a little shocked that the switch in your DX lights didn't already burn out from this.

Who would've thought that a Made in China clicky switch would be more durable than a custom switch?

moviles

Enlightened
:rock::goodjob:

The videos are great!

How the AW18650 handle this hight current? Doesn't the lifetime will be too short or simply once it will dead on next time you wanna use the light :confused:
I wanna build a light similar to that soon, but I'm affraid of that high current :thinking:

the aw18650 can handle 16 amp max

If you dont want high current dont fix the resistance of the spring and the current draw will be limited with that resistance

moviles

Enlightened
FiveMega sells those,

I dont want p60, the sst-90 need good heat transmission to the host

but before spending money on that, you'd have to find a switch that can handle the current.

My McClicky switch got fried when I tried doing this in my Surefire 6P host.

Frankly I'm a little shocked that the switch in your DX lights didn't already burn out from this.

this switch survive too after a shortcircuit

I maked accidentally shotcircuit maybe more than 20 amp and this wire :

11c9s9c.jpg

got burned but the switch still working :twothumbs

Who would've thought that a Made in China clicky switch would be more durable than a custom switch?

I have burned two chinese romisen rc-g2 switches with only 3 amp :poof::ohgeez:

Noctis

Enlightened
I refuse to believe that the lack of threads connecting the pill to the host can't be compensated with the good old copper tape + AS5 combo. At a little less than 7 amps, I can already feel the heat after about 10 seconds. The light gets too hot to hold after about 30 seconds.

I don't think heat transfer is the problem. It's just that there isn't enough solid metal to absorb the heat. The head gets hot, but it gets hot so fast that the middle of the light is only slightly warm.

Since the emitter is usually mounted on a hollow pill rather than a solid chunk of metal, there isn't enough time for heat to move to the rest of the body until it gets too hot to keep on.

My switch survived less than 7 amps, but the spring still warps.

lieber Scholli

Newly Enlightened
Hello moviles, i like your mte sf-15 mod very much and i want to do the same.
I ordered one sf-15 and imr18650, waiting for arrival.

I appreciate that the heatsink respectively the body of the torch isn't able to absorb so much heat for more than seconds, anyway, i want this bright led in this small torch, even i can run it on high mode only for a few seconds preventing anything to melt. Like a dragster, not build to go on holidays pulling a caravan.

So I have some questions because i am a noob:whistle::
Is there any danger driving this high current with an imr18650 (for example melting wires, clicky, exploding cell)?
Does it make sense to drill some holes in the body to defuse this pipe bomb?
Do i have to glue the star with thermal adhesive on the heatsink, or screwing on is enough?
Generally, would it be possible to drill a hole through the body into the heatsink in any torch without a short, to attach an external heatpipe for example like this (only the copper pipe):
rammbock.jpg

Where do i find a inexpensive ssr-90, 4sevens only sell ssts?

i´m sorry for my bad english, had some f at school:mecry:

Thank you for your answers in advance...

lieber Scholli

aurum

Enlightened
Is there any danger driving this high current with an imr18650 - > exploding cell

no

melting wires, clicky
the clicky won't survive .... killed mine few month ago

Does it make sense to drill some holes in the body to defuse this pipe bomb?
no .. AWs imr 18650 are fine

Do i have to glue the star with thermal adhesive on the heatsink
yes ...

or screwing on is enough?
hmm ... i don't think so

Generally, would it be possible to drill a hole through the body into the heatsink in any torch without a short, to attach an external heatpipe for example like this (only the copper pipe):
lachende-smilies-0008.gif
I've never seen something similar ^^

js-lots

Newly Enlightened
avnet sells them on stars and they ship them like they are shipping rare art. Lots of packaging. They are quick as well and have every bin I believe.

moviles

Enlightened
the size of the flashlight are nice but with the 18650 imr I only can get more than 9 amp the first seconds with the battery fullcharged

I prefer the 26650 imr batteries (better current draw the first minutes) but the size of the flashlight its maybe too big for the pocket.
and im not sure if this batteries are really true safe imr batteries like the aw imr batteries

small cheap hosts for 26650 size comparation:
opnyns.jpg

2qi1qqa.jpg

cm5uw.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ICdx1b1Jds&feature=player_embedded

torchlite shooter for 26650
uf c88 for 26500 and maybe with mod for 26650 too

Noctis

Enlightened
I thought IMR 26650 cells had serious problems pushing more than 5 Amps because of the low discharge rate?

D-LUX

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for posting the videos, that's a serious flashlight. I think its cool how there is a clean square hotspot.

moviles

Enlightened
Last edited:

tui

Newly Enlightened
Hi Moviles,

I had a MTE SF-15 as yours at post #1. But the driver has problem, it always stucked on one mode (could be medium with current ~ 0.2A). I think the IC has problem while the mosfet (T70N03) still work.

After reading your post, I'd like to do the same mod. Is it possible to use another driver (for example 16 modes 1000mA http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.7612) and wire to the mosfet to get the maximum current draw?
Currently, it's hard to find a 'small' driver for SST-90 to put into MTE SF15 head.

How do you think about that?

MikeAusC

Enlightened
Transplanting Mode-control chips

I really like the Mode Control Chip in the DX7612 - it has plenty of useful modes - Low - Mid - High - 16Hz Strobe - 16Hz strobe (0.5 sec off) - 4 sec interval (0.25 sec on) - 1 sec interval (0.25 sec on) - 12 sec interval (0.25 sec on) - SOS (4 sec pause).

It uses the ATtiny13 so you're limited to a maximum of 5 volts on this chip.

If you wanted to transplant it into another Driver Board there's a problem - every other Driver board from DX seems to use the 12F629 and is limited to 5 modes. I haven't checked how the pinout for the 12F629 differs from the ATtiny13.

Latest posts