My prized torch was stolen!!!

Sharpdogs

Enlightened
Sorry about your loss. I am always a bit paranoid when I have people coming over to do work. I usually lock up or hide any valuables, knives, flashlights, watches, checkbooks, etc. My Dad had a stag handle switchblade that he bought in Italy during the early 60's. It was stolen out of his desk when a carpet cleaners came over to steam the carpets. That was 20 years ago and he is still pissed about it.

peacefuljeffrey

Newly Enlightened
Topper said:
Please do everything in your power to double and triple check every where you might have left it before going to far with accusing folks. I for one have in the past "thought" things were stolen only to be very sorry when they seem to "turn up"...right where I left them.
Topper :ohgeez:

I have had this same thing happen as well. I felt very sorry for the cussing I did to myself about so-and-so only to find that all along they'd been innocent of what I'd suspected.

-Jeffrey

kc2ouf

Newly Enlightened
I recently had satellite TV installers in my apt. My wife was home and I was at work. My wife called me to tell me that the installer tried to walk out with my 3D maglight but she stopped them and asked what they were doing. She said they made a mistake and put it back. It may be a crappy light but it's still mine.

Moral of the story - when workers come into your home be on them like glue.

frisco

Enlightened
I had a house keeper for many years that had complete access to allot of "stuff" in my house. In the beginning years I would lay traps for her.... I would leave cash and coins out on a dresser or nightstand..... leave several watches out....
Never once was anything missing. I'd come home and my money was neatly organized, she even separated the foreign money from the American money if I'd been traveling. She even found a Omega Seamaster watch in a sofa. Through the years she earned my trust and I valued her loyalty.
I had a girlfriend move in with me and she would complain the house keeper wasn't vacuuming behind the bed..... or not doing something right in the bathroom. Everytime my girlfriend would complain about the housekeeper I would tell her "it's fine don't worry about it... if you don't like it fix it yourself!" I figure I'll take a 80% housekeeper that is 100% trusted than the reverse!!!!

frisco

Firebladz

Newly Enlightened
Thank you all for the kind words...

I can't help but feel very much like a victim at the moment!

It all comes down to monday, on monday the owner of the company is going to speak with the accused...
He suggested that a police report be filled out...

As suggested by many, I myself along with others have searched feverishly for the light but no such luck...

I will keep you all posted on the results of monday...

Thanks again,
Firebladz.

dougmccoy

Enlightened
Playing the devil's advocate here but without any proof of the workmens guilt that really is the end of the story! Also the company could claim that you are accusing one of their employees of theft and without any corroborating proof this could be regarded as reason to counter sue you for slander?

'If' the workmen stole your light then it's already too late. Don't expect to get it back because with all the fuss you have already made anyone with an once of common sense will have dumped or moved on the light rather than risk being found in possession of it! Although contacting the police was a good idea from the perspective of trying to utilise every avenue of help available they were never going to get involved without something more concrete in evidence other than your word.

I'm sorry but the moral of the story is to never invite anyone into your home you don't know or trust. If you need to have someone come and do work at your home then either you or another family member should supervise them at all times until they finish.

Sorry to be so negative but that is the reality of this unfortunate event.

Doug

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
KevinL said:
That's why I REALLY dislike service personnel in my home. *REALLY*.
No kidding dude. I've got some many flashlights and knives lying around my room, when the plumber or electrician comes, I'm paranoid as hell. I mean, I've got a couple dozen Benchmade balisongs that look nearly identical that it's not unthinkable that a "guest" might think to themselves "they'll never miss it".

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
isn't that always the way

Any luck with the police report or speaking with the owner? I'm assuming the owner will shell out the dough you spoke of...

I saw your post on getting an M6... probably my next light too :)

Firebladz

Newly Enlightened
UPDATE:

Well after looking talking with the owner and telling him what happened he sent us a letter...
In the letter is offered a $50 cheque to drop the matter and pretend like it never happened...
Although he claims in all his years he's never had such a problem the guy who is being accused is only an apprentice who has been with the company for a month!

Along with the letter and offer of the cheque is a statement that this is NOT an admission of guilt!

We refused the offer and replied with our own statement and deducted $200 from the bill... We paid the rest of the bill in full and are still awaiting a response...

In the meantime I have made a purchase to replace the light that was stolen... I opted to go with a Surefire M3-CB after being offered a nice deal from a fellow CPF'er and now I can't wait!

I just hope all of this headache has a happy ending and for the first time in 3 weeks things are starting to look a little brighter! :grin2:

Firebladz.

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
great job on $200 deduction... i bet you'll never hear back from them....

thanks for this thread... this will really make me think when hiring people to come into my house to work.... these days aren't like they used to...

i just had a guy over to work on my air conditioning... i better check out the basement :(

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
This really rubs me, personal experience and all . . . :thumbsdow

Try losing stuff to guys installing a burglar alarm at your place. :xyxgun:

-LT

Firebladz

Newly Enlightened
It's such a terrible feeling cause once you notice one thing missing you keep asking yourself what else might be missing what else are you not noticing that should be there? very uneasy feeling... :shrug: :green:

What really burns me too was they kept saying oh I'm sure it's just been misplaced and it will eventually turn up one day... HAH! Nice well I told thm that since they are so confident that it's still here and that it will turn up one day that until then I am keeping $200 from the bill and when it does turn up it will be returned in full with an apology! However it's going to be hard to find the light when it's over at your employees house! :rant: :ohgeez: :banghead:

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
David_Campen said:
If this was in California the company could place a mechanic's lien on your home.

Actually most laws in North America allow you to place a lien on a property until the owing amount is paid off. Which would suck, for $200 you can't sell your 2 million dollar house without going to a lawyer and spending $2000 to fight it off.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Firebladz said:
We refused the offer and replied with our own statement and deducted $200 from the bill...
Devil's advocate mode on: and you provided him with a copy of the recipt for your light, right? (hey, that rhimes!) :)

Firebladz

Newly Enlightened
Yes but he would have to be the biggest A-hole in the world to do that! The bill was $1100 total and we deducted $200 because something was stolen and the rest was paid immediatly in full...

It's not like we're not paying the bill here, we simply deducted the value of the object that was taken...

Somebody has to be held responsible whether they like it or not!
If he can get my light back one way or the other then great, but if not then they have to be held accountable... That's the way I see it...

I believe this is a different circumstance however these laws might still apply...

tebore said:
Actually most laws in North America allow you to place a lien on a property until the owing amount is paid off. Which would suck, for $200 you can't sell your 2 million dollar house without going to a lawyer and spending $2000 to fight it off.

Firebladz

Newly Enlightened
I just feel so violated and victimized here and don't want to let this scumbag get away with this!

This wasn't just my home he took it right out of my bedroom!

What else can I do? Any other options? Any and all help or info is greatly appreciated...

Thanks guy's,
Firebladz.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Firebladz said:
Somebody has to be held responsible whether they like it or not!
If he can get my light back one way or the other then great, but if not then they have to be held accountable... That's the way I see it...
You are my kind of people, Firebladz!
Deducting $200 from the bill sounds just like something I would do, even though I hesitate to recommend that other people do what I do :whistle:

Latest posts