My Quick Fenix E01 Review

dealgrabber2002

Flashlight Enthusiast
" Anyone knows the guesstimate runtime for the E01 on Eneloope AAA (800mah)?"

I think I found the answer to my own question. I remember doing so searching in this forum and saw a runtime chart from fenix-store. I forgot where I found it. By looking at it, it seems like you can get the "10 hrs moon-mode" is by using Alkaline. The runtime for the eneloope dies at 10 hrs and 1 hr of moon-mode. Is that correct?

Darn it, I wish I remember where I found that graph.

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
Well I have to say I actually was suprised with my EO1 that I just received. The fit and finish is nice and the beam is well centered with a little purple to the tint. There is a small brown halo around the hotspot however considering I spent more on lunch today than I did for this toy I can not complain at all. It takes much to suprise me anymore and this 15 dollar light did just that.

It is decent bright and compared to an original Ultra-G I would say it is maybe 30 percent brighter to my eyes. All in all for 15 dollars I believe this is an incredible budget buy regardless of the lottery or tint between samples. I am actually considering a few more just for a few co-workers to keep on their keychain.....makes a great report writing light while inside the patrol car at night.

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I likewise have really been enjoying my EO1 in the months I've had it. Very nice build quality and knurling, and smooth twistie with just the right feel. I agree with Robocop, output is noticeably brighter than my Ultra-G. The tiny size and 7-8 hr. flat runtime on one AAA alkie are great. I often slip it in my pocket, where it isn't even noticeable, and pull it out to read fine print my tired old eyes have trouble with.

This has to be a top nominee (along with the NC EX10 and D10) for bang-for-the-buck light of 2008.

geek4christ

Enlightened
These things are great for non-flashaholics. So far I've given 5 away and my family and friends really eat them up. The colors are a huge win in my book.

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
These things are great for non-flashaholics. So far I've given 5 away and my family and friends really eat them up. The colors are a huge win in my book.

That is very true. When thinking about a good flashlight to give to a non-flashaholic, I often get stuck because of the battery issue. CPFers use lithium primary, lithium ion, NiMH cells, etc., on a daily basis, but for "civilians", I try to find something cool that does well on alkies, and that's not easy. The EO1 fills the bill.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
The wife likes her new purple light on her keychain. I have the gold stashed away in one of my cars.

Definitely buy this light for it's appearance, quality, durability, simplicity, long runtime, and convenient keychain size.

Don't buy the light to get a good LED color or beam quality. It's a tightly focused rectangle of blue-purple light (somewhat like the base of a gas flame), with a urine-yellow halo

Keep up the good work Fenix.

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't buy the light to get a good LED color or beam quality. It's a tightly focused rectangle of blue-purple light (somewhat like the base of a gas flame), with a urine-yellow halo
lol. Thats the best description of its beam that I have heard yet! Also mine emits some UV light or at least very close to it meaning some things can be seen during night time bathroom trips that you don't really want to see (not a problem in my bathroom of course).

Bonky

Banned
the blue of a gas flame is bluer, IMHO. Just got one today and the beam is purple/magenta. I really can't believe how non-white it is. While the flashlight itself seems to be extremely well made, I can't imagine firing it up for anything other than last-ditch emergency use. I wish they'd put a different LED in there. :duh2:

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
I discovered that the E01 can use a AAAA (yes 4 A's) cells (AT USER'S OWN RISK). So if you ever run out of AAA cells, you guys can grab all of your AAAA cells and fire that bad boy up with those (AT OWN RISK). That was a joke and a poor one at that, but there are AAAA sized cells in Duracell 9 volt batteries, so maybe it's not as silly sounding as it seems.

Last edited:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Another minor discovery. I've wanted a clip for my E01, but didn't want to buy one. I dawned on me to try the one that came with the River Rock 2AAA. Looks like it will work pretty well.

SN852987.jpg

Geoff

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
That RR clip looks great, wish I still had mine to go with my blue E01, that'd look really awesome.

LG&M

Enlightened
The clip from a mechanical pencil will work also but it wont look as cool.

crocodilo

Enlightened
Small story: yesterday night (well into the night), after an engine fail at take-off, we switched the engine electronic control units using nothing but my E01 to light the work. Helicopter was repaired and under way well within the hour. Not bad, considering it's a $50.000.000 machine and a $15 flashlight...

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Are there any runtime comparisons between the E0 and E01? I searched but couldn't find any.

Brightnorm

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Thanks, I'm doing a crude comparative runtest now. The E0 and E01 have been running since 5pm (nearly 10 hrs) and the E01 is still brighter than the E0.

Even though E01 is brighter and sturdier than the E0 I'm sorry fenix didn't put the new LED in the E0. Its smaller and slimmer build makes a real difference on my crowded keyring.

Brightnorm