My Surefire E1B Backup (Beamshots and runtime)

dougie

Enlightened
I agree about the switch completely. I understand that the Z68 (I hope I've got that correct?) works well and IMHO would be ideal as it allows much more flexibility on how to attach a lanyard. I've ordered one so hopefully I'll be in a position to make a btter judgement on that in the future.

I would be a bit worried about mucking up the clip if only because the E1b is so new and the clips may be hard to get from Surefire if I screw up.

Doug

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool I have an E1B on the way. I'd like to know if the optic and lens rattle around when you loosen the head. I sure wouldn't want to sacrifice waterproofness/integrity.....

Chao

Enlightened
E1B-5.jpg

This picture may not really clear, there is a metal ring screw in and hold the optic lens tightly (like my lumapower M1), unless the bezel is taken apart completely, I think the O-ring still works well, still waterproof:).

eshishlo

Newly Enlightened
ONE thing I did notice is that on the surefire site their is a short movie starring the E1B which in interactive. in one of the "scenes" the E1B is shown in two parts and the threads are shown with not one but 2 sets of O-rings making the connection.
My E1B has 2 sets of a single O-Ring doing the protective work.
WTF? The Promo material shown a more advanced design and concept. What is sold to the end user is something different that which is shown.
IMHO NOT cool.
http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/co_disp/displ/pgname/lightE1B/strfnbr/6
Have a look above. click on the "4". What is shown is a part with 2 O-Rings which apparently mates with the twist on switch.

IS this kind of bait and switch OK? UMMMMM???

I happen to really like double o-rings.
Yaesumofo

If you take a closer look, the color of the anodizing on the light with 2 o-rings is olive drab. Also, every other flashlight that has an interactive demo has the same picture of the rear threads with the 2 o-rings. I also wish that all Surefire lights came with 2 o-rings. I think that most can take 2 o-rings, but I don't have a E1B so I have no idea if you can install the second one.

prime77

Enlightened
Chao I know I'm a little late to the show but I got my Backup this weekend and and very satisfied with it. As a tighter beam than my L1 but I knew this from your beamshots. I always look for your reviews before considering a new Surefire thanks for doing these.

Chao

Enlightened
Thanks, and glad to hear you like E1B:)

Last edited:

dougie

Enlightened
I'm not sure if any of the Surefire nylon pouches are any good (well the ones I've tried so far haven't been) but the Maxpedition nylon holster for the Inova T1's fits pretty well.

I'm thinking of making a Kydex holster for the E1B which will allow either horizontal or vertical carry. Unfortunately the shape of the E1B is not conducive to the normal type of kydex holster I've made in the past.

I have in mind something which will mount on a Tek-Lok for use on my duty belt rather than a dress belt etc.

I hate shoddy work or poor designs so you can be sure that I'll only show it to you guys if it looks and works as I want it to.

Doug

Last edited:

flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not sure if any of the Surefire nylon pouches are any good (well the ones I've tried so far haven't been) but the Maxpedition nylon holster for the Inova T1's fits pretty well.

I'm thinking of making a Kydex holster for the E1B which will allow either horizontal or vertical carry. Unfortunately the shape of the E1B is not conducive to the normal type of kydex holster I've made in the past.

I have in mind something which will mount on a Tek-Lok for use on my duty belt rather than a dress belt etc.

I hate shoddy work or poor designs so you can be sure that I'll only show it to you guys if it looks and works as I want it to.

Doug

Thanks for the response Doug. So far I've been using one of the SF quick detach (which I prefer) holster for quite some time now with no complaints. Just that the one I have now is too snug for the slightly bigger head of the E1B. :sigh:

dougie

Enlightened
Scaredofthelight

As I understand it the E1B isn't suitable for rechargeables. It may or may not work with a RCR123 which are specifically limited to a max of 3v. However, most RCR123's go over this by a wide margin and if used may damage the E1b's circuitry or LED. NOT advisable!

Flashlight,

I apologize for not making it clear that when I mentioned Surefire nylon pouches I wasn't criticizing them in general, but specifically for the E1B!

I understand that it should be possible to stretch Nylon a bit by immersing it in very hot water and then gently force it over a former slightly bigger than the existing bezel diameter. leave it to cool and it should then have stretched a bit to the diameter of the E1b. Of course I can't guarantee this method but what have you to loose by trying it?

Doug

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
Aw, geeze, I've been trying NOT to look at this light. I want one.

I want a $100 light!

This is not good.

scaredofthedark

Enlightened
Scaredofthelight

As I understand it the E1B isn't suitable for rechargeables. It may or may not work with a RCR123 which are specifically limited to a max of 3v. However, most RCR123's go over this by a wide margin and if used may damage the E1b's circuitry or LED. NOT advisable!

Doug

that's a bummer no free lumens

flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone tried a 3V or 3.2V LifePo RCR123 on a E1B yet? Any flicker as when a 3.7V RCR123 is used?

dougie, no apologies needed. :) The SF holster has a 'hem' near the 'mouth' of the holster where the material is folded over & stitched which catches the lip of the E1B's head when removing it from the holster. :shakehead

Scaredofthelight

Flashlight,

I apologize for not making it clear that when I mentioned Surefire nylon pouches I wasn't criticizing them in general, but specifically for the E1B!

I understand that it should be possible to stretch Nylon a bit by immersing it in very hot water and then gently force it over a former slightly bigger than the existing bezel diameter. leave it to cool and it should then have stretched a bit to the diameter of the E1b. Of course I can't guarantee this method but what have you to loose by trying it?

Doug

Last edited:

kz1000s1

Enlightened
I don't have an E1B, but in my new E1L 2 stage the LifePo4 3V battery works ok. The only problem is a slight intermittant flickering on low after charging the battery until the voltage comes down a little. A 3.7V cell doesn't work at all. No levels and heavy flickering.

Chao

Enlightened
LA OZ also tried LiFePO4 in E1B and works fine.
I did a runtime on Max with a LIFePO4 500mAh rechargeable. It ran for about 35min Max and rapidly drop off. Not bad consider the L1 Cree will only ran for 25min.

Force Attuned

Enlightened
I received my E1B yesterday and I must say I am impressed! It is damn powerful for a 1 battery light. The throw beats my 6PL and Fenix T1 on low quite easily. It is very comfy to hold too.

flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
With regards to which holster fits the E1B, I got a reply from a Surefire rep. who suggests the V82 should be suitable.

And in case you have a Kroma, a V91 should fit that. :whistle:

Edit - Got my LifePO 3.2V batteries from DealExtreme finally & they work well with the E1B head except for slight flickering on low fresh off the charger as mentioned by kz1000s1. :thumbsup: Would advise to let the cell rest for an hour or so or run in another suitable light first before using with the E1B.

Last edited: