My Surefire E1B Backup (Beamshots and runtime)

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you take a closer look, the color of the anodizing on the light with 2 o-rings is olive drab. Also, every other flashlight that has an interactive demo has the same picture of the rear threads with the 2 o-rings. I also wish that all Surefire lights came with 2 o-rings. I think that most can take 2 o-rings, but I don't have a E1B so I have no idea if you can install the second one.

The thing about double o-rings in my experience is that they substantially increase the force needed to twist the tailcap or bezel on. Not a big deal with a clickie, but can be tiresome with a twistie. I imagine that SF decided that it just wasn't needed to ensure satisfactory waterproofness.

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
This light sounds fine for non-tactical use. But unsuitable for LE/mil.

From the descriptions, it sounds like you can't manually strobe the E1B in 100% high output mode. Related to this, once you release the tailcap switch in high output mode (which is a frequent occurrence in low-light building search), you can't immediately get back to high mode. You are forced into what is known as a conditional branch -- you need to decide between two situations: a) if less than 2 sec has passed, then double-press the tailcap to cycle the light back to high, or b) if more than 2 sec has passed, then single-press the tailcap to get high mode again.

IMO, requiring a conditional branch in a flashlight is ridiculous. Further, requiring you to estimate the passage of time in a potential stressful situation is error-prone (ref, Ayoob's "tachypsychia"). If I think 2 sec has passed, but it hasn't, then my single-press is going to give me low mode, when I was expecting high. If I think that less than 2 sec has passed but more than 2 sec has actually passed, then my double-press is going to give me low mode again, when I expected high.

IMO, if a light is to be considered "tactical", then high output mode must always be immediately available with one button press. Anything else, and it is just "quasi-tactical".

SureAddicted

Enlightened
This light sounds fine for non-tactical use. But unsuitable for LE/mil.

From the descriptions, it sounds like you can't manually strobe the E1B in 100% high output mode. Related to this, once you release the tailcap switch in high output mode (which is a frequent occurrence in low-light building search), you can't immediately get back to high mode. You are forced into what is known as a conditional branch -- you need to decide between two situations: a) if less than 2 sec has passed, then double-press the tailcap to cycle the light back to high, or b) if more than 2 sec has passed, then single-press the tailcap to get high mode again.

IMO, requiring a conditional branch in a flashlight is ridiculous. Further, requiring you to estimate the passage of time in a potential stressful situation is error-prone (ref, Ayoob's "tachypsychia"). If I think 2 sec has passed, but it hasn't, then my single-press is going to give me low mode, when I was expecting high. If I think that less than 2 sec has passed but more than 2 sec has actually passed, then my double-press is going to give me low mode again, when I expected high.

IMO, if a light is to be considered "tactical", then high output mode must always be immediately available with one button press. Anything else, and it is just "quasi-tactical".

You seem to know a lot about "nothing".
You don't have any experience with the E1B. This light was practically made by cops for the cops. Why would you want a strobe on a tactical light? I'm pretty sure none of SF's torch's have strobes, and I'm glad that they don't. If press rapidly on the tailcap, you could use it as a strobe if thats what you really want. I've never had a problem going from high to low, or vice versa no matter what situation I'm under. From low mode you can go directly into high mode without waiting 2 seconds, and the same from low to high.
I'm not going to question the people who designed and engineered this light, all I can say is they did one hell of a job.

Steve

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
You seem to know a lot about "nothing".
You don't have any experience with the E1B. This light was practically made by cops for the cops. Why would you want a strobe on a tactical light? I'm pretty sure none of SF's torch's have strobes, and I'm glad that they don't. If press rapidly on the tailcap, you could use it as a strobe if thats what you really want. I've never had a problem going from high to low, or vice versa no matter what situation I'm under. From low mode you can go directly into high mode without waiting 2 seconds, and the same from low to high.
I'm not going to question the people who designed and engineered this light, all I can say is they did one hell of a job.

Steve

"Steve",

No need to get hostile with your accusations of know a lot about nothing, whatever that means.

First, I stated "manually strobe", which means rapidly hit the tailcap button (that's the "manually" part) to turn the light on-off-on-off-... to strobe the light. Manually strobe does not mean having a strobe mode. Thus, your first rant is simply off-base. Also, perhaps you might ask former Navy SEAL Ken Good why he designed a strobe in the Gladius tactical light as to why one might want a strobe mode. Please note, however, that my comments were not meant in any way to suggest that the E1B should have a strobe *mode*.

Of course you can go from low to high directly in less than 2 sec. That assumes that you *start* in low mode. Since the default mode is high, let's start from there. You now turn off the light. Suddenly, you need the light on again, and it has to be in high.

What are the options? If the time interval is less than 2 sec, how do you get to high directly again? As far as I can tell, you can't. You have to cycle through low mode first. Yes, if the time interval is longer than 2 sec, then you can access high mode again directly. But how do you know how much time has elapsed to be able to select the correct operational course of action? Who wants to have to keep track of the passage of 2 sec of time when doing a building search? Do you also count your rounds that you fire?

Ever do light on, shoot, light off/move, light on again, shoot, etc drills? Let's vary the time intervals between light on/off/on to anywhere from a fraction of a sec to several sec. You need to see, ID, and perhaps shoot a target right now. What mode is your light going to be in when you turn it on?

I'm glad that the E1B was "practically made by cops for the cops". But I'm not quite sure what that means, either. "Practically"? It either is or it isn't.

I have no problems if you do not want to question "the people who designed and engineered this light", but please don't take such offense when others do question the design. There is no law of physics that says that SureFire (or any other company) is always right.

Last edited:

SureAddicted

Enlightened
No offence taken justin. You should keep in mind that it is after all a "Backup". I only use it as a backup, as the name suggests. I see what you mean about going from high then back to high within 2 secs, its the same with the e2dl. I don't think anyone has posted that they don't like the UI, I myself am happy with it.

Steve

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
Manual strobe is good doctrine under certain circumstances not involving illumination of a threat and yes, you basically can't do it with an E1B.

I am still working on the E1B interface but it does actually seem to be, on an unpredictable basis, possible to double-tap the tailcap switch fast enough that it stays in the prior mode. If you wanted to go from high to low, that's merely an inconvenience. If you needed to go from low to high, it could be a problem.

The real thing about the E1B, though, I *think,* is that it's a backup. It wasn't designed as a primary tactical light. No combat-grip...heck, not even any knurling or other grip aid to give you a decent grip on the light. It is potentially a very slippery light. As a backup to a primary light, it's brilliant (literally). Possibly as a primary light where low profile is the primary need above other criteria, and you make compromises and train around them, it might be a good choice as well.

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, I see the name "backup". But I don't see what that has to do with anything. It's just a marketing name.

I recognize the compromises one often has to make when it comes to a backup gun (e.g., smaller size, fewer rounds, etc), but this is a flashlight, not a gun. I would much prefer a TW4 comprising an Optics HQ head, E1 body, and single-mode tailcap (or perhaps an Aleph McE2S 2-stage flat tailcap).

In addition, I might have to hand my backup light to someone else who doesn't have a light. Thus, the backup suddenly becomes a primary. Kind of sucks now for that guy.

Regarding flashlight slipperiness, stick on some clear bathtub non-skid tape wherever you need it. The clear tape just disappears and adopts whatever color is underneath. The bathtub tape texture is grippy, yet not abrasive.

Last edited:

Buffalohump

Enlightened
This is what I find odd about this light. Having a smooth, rounded surface in a small form is asking for trouble in a high stress situation. One thing I have always admired about Surefires is the fantastic grip they offer, due to the aggressive knurling. Personally I think the Novatac 120T offers a better thought-out package for LEOs who may want a small back-up light.

The real thing about the E1B, though, I *think,* is that it's a backup. It wasn't designed as a primary tactical light. No combat-grip...heck, not even any knurling or other grip aid to give you a decent grip on the light. It is potentially a very slippery light.

joshwang

Newly Enlightened
For me, the smooth knurling works absolutely perfect for me. The last two fingers of my grip usually rests on the bezel itself, with the groove on the bezel working to enhance my grip. Also, the clip itself is also helpful in enhancing the grip. I can't imagine a situation where the smooth knurling could become a problem... or how the light could slip out of someone's hand, even if is was wet. But that's just my 2 cents.

Moka

Enlightened
:bumpit:
Thought I'd BUMP up this thread due to the fact I'm looking to get one of these...
I see the runtime in the first post and am quite surprised... Have surefire finally understated the runtime on one of their lights?

Does anyone else get this kinda runtime/regulation curve?

Cheers, Moka

Xacto

Enlightened
Since this thread was informative and influential in getting a E1b Backup myself, I would like to share my thoughts on the light, too.

There has been much debate in this thread about the tactical usefullness of this light since it carries the title "Backup". Well, after watching the Surefire video ad a few times, I come to think that we should interpret the "Backup" title on another way.

The guy in the video is a plainclothes detective, so he usually does not wear a duty belt with all the bells and whistles the uniformed officers do. So when he suddenly gets in a situation when a flashlight comes in handy, his main tactical light probably lies in the trunk of his car together with the tactical vest/bullet proof vest. That is the moment the E1b comes to play. Not a pure tactical light, but more a versatile light when one needs to illuminate things in a non-tactical way. For a pure, tactical light in a small form I would go for a Solarforce L2m with appropriate dropin and switch.

The reason I got interested in the light (aside from it being a Surefire light and the promo video that in all honesty really appealed to me) was when I realized that I need a small light with a reasonable output. I usually EDC one of a few Surefire 6P lights (6P, Z2, G2) in a Surefire pouch on the belt. When I am at work, the pouch goes on the desk. The other day I was summoned to our branch manager. Since we sell and repair cars, putting my Surefire on the belt would have looked ridiculous to any co-worker outside my immediate colleagues. I went through the workshop and was startled for a moment when I wanted to enter the stairway through a glass door. For a moment it looked like the whole staircase was in total darkness (or the glass doors got blackened). When I entered, I realized that this was just the effect of the lights in the staircase being out and the area in front of the doors being much brighter lit. But that was the moment I realized I need a small light with decent output and a forward clicky that allows momentary on and a good amount of travel between momentary and constant on. The E1b fits the bill much better than my Fenix L1T V2.0.
As I said at the beginning of this rather long post – I just wanted to share my 0.02€ regarding the E1b Backup.

Cheers
Thorsten

tacticaltony

Newly Enlightened
i want to get the new e1b from sf that has 200 lumens. but is it good for edc? ive been considering a bright penlight for edc. but i really like the e1b. does it take up your whole pocket space if clipped? and thats strange that the panasonic batterys did better than the sf. great review, thanks

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm more of an L1 fan. The L1 can run on 3.7v RCR's and puts out @ 240 lumens and 7000 lux. Put a two way clip on it and it shames the E1B. IMO.

tacticaltony

Newly Enlightened
that sounds pretty good, but i was looking at sf and the l1 is discontinued. also they say using rechargeable's will void their warranty. the l2 is out but its more expensive

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, they're not too easy to find anymore. The good news is that the new EB1 will come with an optional two stage momentary just like the L1 and it's 200 lumens. So it's a viable replacement. I hope it runs on RCR's, but knowing Surefire, it won't.

tacticaltony

Newly Enlightened
I wonder if anybody has used rechargeables in a sf light withought having any problems. And is there a way sf can tell that rechargeables have been used in the light in order to void the warranty.

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some of the Surefires can use RCR's and some can't. The L1 can use them just fine. The E1B won't, unless it's a 3v LifPo. The A2, L2, LX2, A2L, G2L etc, can use them. There are probably others. The E1L, E2LAA can't. Someone else help me here.

gsr

Enlightened
Surefire has just introduced their own rechargable CR123s that they claim will work with any of their LED lights. $29 for a pair with a charger, and $12 for a pair of just the batteries. I had an E1B that I used to EDC, but I passed it along to someone who needed it more. After giving it a great deal of thought and research, I think I need to get another one. I'm willing to concider an EB1, but I'll have to see what they will be going for.