My Surefire M3T / KX9 hybrid project -> UNR Commander

JohnSmith

Enlightened
Re: My Surefire M3T / KX9 hybrid project

Here are the beamshots... Please keep in mind, I am not a photographer. Pics were taken with an iPhone 6. The KX9 is on the LEFT, the Surefire UB3T is on the RIGHT. The KX9 appears to be brighter in the first picture compared to the second picture, but this is because of the camera re-setting its exposure for each shot - the KX9 brightness was identical when each photo was taken no matter what the pictures show.

FIGURE 1.
LEFT- SUREFIRE KX9, 500 LUMEN SINGLE OUTPUT, 2x17500 (AW)
RIGHT - SUREFIRE UB3T (800 lumen model) SECOND HIGHEST LEVEL, 3x CR123

6B4BCCD5-4672-419F-8FC2-A556FA9B4AD8_zps1o3ylyn2.jpg

FIGURE 2.
RIGHT - SUREFIRE UB3T (800 lumen model) HIGHEST LEVEL, 3x CR123

33B88BE4-7DB1-4CFC-B95A-361181C26C7A_zpsbzru9xhf.jpg

Last edited:

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast

Here are the beamshots... Please keep in mind, I am not a photographer. Pics were taken with an iPhone 6. The KX9 is on the LEFT, the Surefire UB3T is on the RIGHT. The KX9 appears to be brighter in the first picture compared to the second picture, but this is because of the camera re-setting its exposure for each shot - the KX9 brightness was identical when each photo was taken no matter what the pictures show.

FIGURE 1.
RIGHT - SUREFIRE UB3T (800 lumen model) SECOND HIGHEST LEVEL, 3x CR123

6B4BCCD5-4672-419F-8FC2-A556FA9B4AD8_zps1o3ylyn2.jpg

FIGURE 2.
RIGHT - SUREFIRE UB3T (800 lumen model) HIGHEST LEVEL, 3x CR123

33B88BE4-7DB1-4CFC-B95A-361181C26C7A_zpsbzru9xhf.jpg

Wow. I LOVE the beam profile of the kx9. VERY similar to the UB3T except for just slightly more spill and in a format that's much slimmer than the ub3t. I am going to have to see about putting together a setup like this. Thanks a bunch for the pics. =)

BU2(SCW)

Newly Enlightened

Now I am curious if this head would work as a two stage output on a M3LT since the two stage appears to be in the switch on this light.

Sent from my iPad using Candlepowerforums

JohnSmith

Enlightened

UPDATE: I BOUGHT THE SUREFIRE UNR COMMANDER ANYWAY

In my original post I stated that this project arose out of my desire for the Surefire UNR Commander, but I'd probably never own one. I just picked one up on eBay at a price low enough for me to overlook my concerns about the proprietary battery system. New in box, 1000 lumen version...

Beam profile between the two is very similar, with the UNR being significantly brighter. The 625 lumen setting on the UNR is visibly brighter than the 500 lumen KX9.

After playing with it a bit, I'm finding that the UNR cuts off its charging at 4.15V, which contradicts the Flashlight Guide review I linked to in my original post. That reviewed light was the previous 800 lumen model, and it's described in the review as charging to 90%, turning green, and then trickle charging to 100% slowly thereafter. I can confirm my 1000 lumen version turns green at 4.15V and charges no further. I'm OK with this, as I intended to charge to somewhat less than 100% (4.20V) to improve the longevity of this proprietary battery. After all, who knows when they'll discontinue it?

Last edited:

Greenbean

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yeah I'm bumping this thread!

Man that's a good looking M3 with the KX9 on it.

That may have to prompt me to post a WTB thread, lol...

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast

I agree with ya. That M3 with KX9 is a good looking setup. Also, the beam profile makes for a nice search light. Too bad though that the kx9 800lm version has been discontinued and what's left over is no longer available. So this is an even rarer setup.

Yeah I'm bumping this thread!

Man that's a good looking M3 with the KX9 on it.

That may have to prompt me to post a WTB thread, lol...

JohnSmith

Enlightened

Of the three lights in this thread, the M3T/KX9 is the only one I still have in my possession. I tried to sell it a few months ago but came to my senses. It has a great beam, looks cool as hell, has green natural anodizing, runs on lithium ions... There's a lot to love about this thing.

Greenbean

Flashlight Enthusiast

Can I get some feedback from you on why you sold the others?

I agree and I'll have my eyes peeled for one of those units. Lol...

Greenbean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have two extra M6 bodies, I'd rather have the 1200 Lumen head for one of them but love the Sea Cucumber look of the KX9 on the M3,

The KX9T is still getting a pretty good price today.

JohnSmith

Enlightened

Can I get some feedback from you on why you sold the others?

I agree and I'll have my eyes peeled for one of those units. Lol...

Both were awesome. I just trended away from larger lights, a lesson I have to keep learning over and over.

Greenbean

Flashlight Enthusiast

Feel ya there,

I love my M6 lights but have a fondness for something shorter than my MagCharger,

I keep eyeing the M6LT for the 1200 version on sale or at least a decent deal someplace.

But the 500 lumen head you have is nice.

Greenbean

Flashlight Enthusiast

So is there a large difference in the KX9T-A on the first M6LT vs the KX9T that's on the 800/70 lumen M3LT out there.

I'm trying to figure out why the slight differences and if the LEDs are the same and/or the reflector/lens assemblies.

Surefire started with the Cree XM-Ls right? Then upgraded to the XM-L2s hence the top level of each the M6 version hit 1200 lumens and the M3 version hit 800. Are the differences from the M6 being given slightly more current due to double capacity. Both lights are 9v so I don't understand.

I have my first M6LT coming but it's the 1000 lumen first series. New in box so that's ok.

Any advantages of the first M3 at 400 lumens vs the newer ones. I though I read somewhere the older 400 lumen model had a different lens and actually threw better.

Anyone care to chime in?

Thanks,
GB

Pöbel

Enlightened
Re: My Surefire M3T / KX9 hybrid project -> UNR Commander

I'm not perfectly sure but I think I remember the first Version had a MC-E, not XM-L.

Greenbean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: My Surefire M3T / KX9 hybrid project -> UNR Commander

I'm not perfectly sure but I think I remember the first Version had a MC-E, not XM-L.

I believe you to be correct,

I waited and waited and am looking forward to my M6LT. I want an M6 to leave in our "camping vehicle" and love the idea of a great light I can leave primaries in and not worry about it.

Maybe one day I'll find the 1200 lumen version in a good used condition.

Greenbean

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have a NIB first Gen 900 lumen M6LT now, got a great deal!

Wow it's impressive, I mean compared to an M6 with the MN21 in it, it's obviously a different color but the beam width and throw from the fresnel lens is stunning.

I have a second one coming that is a pieced together 1000 lumen KX9T-B on an Incan M6 body with the extended tail cap with McClicky and 2x26500 cells.

Wondering which will live at home and which will live in the SUV?

I also scored a sweet deal on a used UB3T so I have some fun coming up next weekend after dark.

Greenbean

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well after seeing the KX9T-A (MC-E) at 900 lumens and directly comparing with a newly acquired KX9T-B (XM-L) at 1000 lumens I can say I truly prefer the MC-E and it's snow white tint and the lens just throws light. It's really an LED version of the MN-21.

Not saying I'm going to sell the KX9T-B but I'm starting t become unimpressed with odd colors of XM-Ls with greening hues in them.

I also secured a sweet used UB3T-S but the 800 lumen version and it seems the LED is the same and it's snow white beam and very similar shape have me happy I got it and not the 1000 lumen version.

Sorry to duplicate post but there seems to be limited info and discussion on the KX9Ts, KX9s, and UB3T LED lights. They all have that great Surefire feel though.

Now to try and find some good rechargeable cells for the M3LT-S as it's a sweet little light.