My wish list come true from Eternalight

MY

Enlightened
No led light will have it all (size, runtime and brightness) in the near future. Thats why for the past two years, I have used the same combo for all of my outdoor activities: a eternalight classic and a UK 2L. The EL serves my needs 90% of the time and the UK fills in the rest.

I agree with you Mr. Joe, the eternalighs do not get their fair share of praise.

KenBar

Enlightened
The eternaLight is a particular size for a particular use. It is a pocket flashlight, not a cluster bomb. LED efficiencies have improved but not by multiples. I suppose a person could keep adding LEDs all day as long as you want to add batteries and weight too - no creative skills here. .

Myself, I like a pocket flashlight that fits in my pocket. Every product is a balancing act.

I believe that they are not pleased with the battery life they are getting from their 8 LED prototypes and do not want to make the units larger.....so..

Maybe some people would find that acceptable. But, after all, the product name is "eternaLight" not "burnabattery" or "monsterLight".

This new Elite series is a much refined Ergo series.

At the same time, I am really pleased with the Versalux. I plan on getting one more and adding to the one that I have for a ULTRA BRIGHT light. Screw the battery life.

I want it small and bright. I tried 4 D cells and it worked great but the weight was unacceptable. I plan on using 6 lithium and use it for an emergency blinding light...that works in all temps and is small.

KenBar

Enlightened
The introductory
period will be very short on this unit - probably only one week

start watching their web site - it should be up between the end of this week and
the middle of next.

No emails. Just watch the website.
This is to get the special price...$59.99...20 bucks off the list.

Home page to watch...

Terrapin Flyer

Newly Enlightened
Count me in too.....argh.......

Just rcvd. my ErgoXray the other day too!

Anyone interested in a slightly used Xray (thus far no sign of wear) with lithium batteries for a nice price?

Although being waterproof it might make a nice light for the kayak.

KenBar

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by darell:
I trust you'll keep us posted!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

-------------------------------
Yes...
I check morning, noon( at lunch ) and at night!.

I really have my hopes up for this one.

I am so pleased with my ArcLE...I look forward to having a larger light that is as durable as this one is. Those 2 should be my favorites ... untill...
smile.gif

BTY...I gave away my Xray today to a friend who has helped me with a large task. It was fun to see his reaction to the bright light..

Darell

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wolfman:
The introductory
period will be very short on this unit - probably only one week

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I trust you'll keep us posted!

KenBar

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MY:
Mr. Wolfman:

Any new news that is news worthy about the new EL?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
You know, I don`t want to be a nay sayer but, if these are really 8000-9000 mcd I would think Photon or Gransee would be able to get them...I not sure I would jump. Let me put it this way...I can`t beat the LS...so I run 4 Nachia "s" rank with no reduction...4.5 volts...and you know what...let`s make our claim based on 3 lithium batts...5.1 volts...never mind that it`s overdriven and sickiningly blue...and claim a high mcd rating...let`s see a reveiw before we all end end up suckers...one week...buy now or pay more... could be, but it could also be buy quick before you realize...do you feel lucky...I do see at the nachia web site where they have increased the 20 degree from 5600 to 6400 mcd...

KenBar

Enlightened
KenB,
I wanted to check before I addressed what you said. The 3 manufacturers I have never been disappointed with are those who make Arc, Pal, and Eternalight. I found it difficult to take what you said...yet...you always have a good insight into things

SO..

I wrote to Tom and asked about your challenge. Here is the reply. I hope this lends some clarity.

Yes, we are using S rank lamps in the Elites. Yes, they are coming with Lithium batteries (BTW, that's 4.8 volts at the load not 5.1). However, we don't drive them directly, we never have, they are controlled.

The statement about brightness is more of a gaurantee than an improvement. People who bought our lights in December were treated to S rank units because that was all we were getting and we had to use those. But there is no gaurantee there any unit you buy will have S rank lamps. We've built the additional cost of S rank lamps into the Elites to gaurantee that those are the lamps that will go with that unit.

So, the brightness difference comes down to this between an ErgoXRay and an EliteXRay : S rank LEDS, Lithium batteries. The problem here is that when word got out that there were 8 lamps, everyone thought this unit was about an increase in brightness. That's not what it is about.

It has an "improved" brightness but this is nothing we plan on putting in the forefront of any marketing efforts, it's just a footnote. The one thing this guy is forgetting here is efficiency.

How much light you get out is not the issue. How much light you get out for how much energy you put in is the issue, at least for us. There is some trade secret information missing here. Do you know what it is? I'll give you a clue........

And so it went....
It looks like the problem with brightness was my fault for mixing up Candles and LED's in the original post...since corrected.

KenBar/Wolfman

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well...I wish they had gone with 8 led`s...combined with the multi level control...it would have given the user the capability to have a very bright light...or at a lower level...still be as bright as the 4 led`s on high with lower power use. In addition it would better justify the price.

Just my 2 cents. By the way...what was the clue...if you can tell us
smile.gif

KenBar

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ken B:
Well...I wish they had gone with 8 led`s...combined with the multi level control...it would have given the user the capability to have a very bright light...or at a lower level...still be as bright as the 4 led`s on high with lower power use. In addition it would better justify the price.

Just my 2 cents. By the way...what was the clue...if you can tell us
smile.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

BTY...I looked through an old email and saw that the tests with 8 led's were not satisfactory due to battery life and they did not want to make the units larger..

Have you considered looking at the Versalux they sell? That is one bright puppy. I have several LS that I have made and although they ARE bright, the 10 led versalux gives a more pleasing, fuller ( if there is such a term) light. To drive the LS I had to use one of those 20 buck chips......and the walk out the door price was about the same. I seem to have more led utils out of the Versalux. The only problem is that it needs over 8 volts to gain the super high efficiencies it can achieve.

There it is again...that size demon...
smile.gif

KenBar

Enlightened
I got the flu....:{.
It should be any time now.
I should have one arrive this Thursday.
I wanted to wait till it actually got here.
My guess...by the first of Feb.

Darell

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wolfman:
I got the flu....:{.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ick. Sorry to hear that. Maybe you shouldn't type here now... wouldn't want to catch anything.
grin.gif

Feel better soon!

Gandalf

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MY:
No led light will have it all (size, runtime and brightness) in the near future. Thats why for the past two years, I have used the same combo for all of my outdoor activities: a eternalight classic and a UK 2L. The EL serves my needs 90% of the time and the UK fills in the rest.

I agree with you Mr. Joe, the eternalighs do not get their fair share of praise.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I too am a happy user of the UK 2L / Eternalight combination. I have my choice of many, many flashlights, and I tend to carry a lot of them, especially when I have a winter coat on, but even though I almost always have a SureFire 6P with me, I use the UK 2L far more. And when I need less light, I tend to use my Eternalight. With lithium batteries in it, the Ergo is very light, and fits neatly into a shirt pocket. Plus, it's easy to hold with my teeth. (Same with the UK 2L; I can't do that with a SureFire). Is there anyone who doesn't wind up with a flashlight in thier mouth, from time to time?
The Eternalight is especially easy to hold with my front teeth on the lanyard hole.

The Eternalight has been around longer than many other other LED lights, some of which I own, but it's still one of my real favorites.
cool.gif

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
Am i right to assume that 4 8000mCd leds = a total of 32,000 mCd? if this is true, then wouldn't be only outputting 2.5 times LESS light that the ArcLS?

I know it is unfair to compare 4 leds to an LS led when 7-10 leds are its equivilent. And i know there are MAJOR differences in technology between the two. But for someone like me, who is only interested in total light output (and a comprimise with longevity), cannot justify spending the 60 bucks on any other LED light that an LS.

BUT i don't really have any real validity in my opinion because after all i'm only assuming these numbers, and i never even ordered the ArcLS - i'm waiting for it to be refined first.

Would i be correct in this assumption?

The reason i bring this up is becuase, as i see more new LED lights come onto the market, i can't help but compare them to the ArcLS or an LS led in general, and it just isn't fair because of the obvious light output advantage. It's kind of like how i can't buy an incand. light if it can't match the output/size of my E2...unless it's an HID light...or brighter than my spotlight.

Boy, if i apply this theory to my love life, i may never find a girlfriend. And man i tell ya...if i do, i guess it'll be worth the wait.

i will stop now before i vear off onto another subject......sheesh

Empath

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bikeNomad:
They now have the new flashlight on their web site...
Here it is!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is there a reasonable way to get that blamed magnet off the thing? That in itself would make me uncomfortable bringing it into the house.
shocked.gif

Latest posts