N sized Titanium Luxeon light with custom reflector-bare Ti version available

mobile1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: N sized Titanium Luxeon light with custom reflector

Some time ago I played around with some light ray modelling software. What I learned there is that a deeper reflector does not lead to a tighter beam as far as I know, it only leads to more light loss since the rays are reflected multiple times. If you want tighter beam, you need a wider reflector, or a smaller die, then how the part just around the LED is designed has most impact on beam tightness.

2dim

Enlightened

True 'flashaholic':

Someone who eagerly lines up to purchase a still unproduced flashlight without the least idea of possible cost.

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast

Very nice work, reefphilic. :thumbsup:

Kind of surprising how many people jump into lines even when stuff isn't posted in a B/S/T forum. :grin2: :p

How long did it take to machine? How's the battery life, and how's the heat? Any beamshots of that little reflector? Looking good! :)

ibcj

Enlightened

Endeavour said:
Kind of surprising how many people jump into lines even when stuff isn't posted in a B/S/T forum. :grin2: :p

We're in line for your project too. :)

2dim

Enlightened

Guess it's probably the best way to show support, eh?

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast

2dim said:
Guess it's probably the best way to show support, eh?

Yep, and put this old man down for one if you make a run! VDG

Justintoxicated

Flashlight Enthusiast

Very Nice!

Makes me truely Jealous since I will never have enough money to throw down for a light like this. :p

Good job though and great quality. Now of course we need some beamshots :p

MillerMods

Flashlight Enthusiast

mobile1 said:
Some time ago I played around with some light ray modelling software. What I learned there is that a deeper reflector does not lead to a tighter beam as far as I know, it only leads to more light loss since the rays are reflected multiple times. If you want tighter beam, you need a wider reflector, or a smaller die, then how the part just around the LED is designed has most impact on beam tightness.

I thought that the deep reflector on the Heliotek HTE-1 was a good example of why you want a deep reflector for a tightly focused beam when using a Lux LED.
Here's a link to look at: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/91425

mobile1

Flashlight Enthusiast

MillerMods said:
I thought that the deep reflector on the Heliotek HTE-1 was a good example of why you want a deep reflector for a tightly focused beam when using a Lux LED.
Here's a link to look at: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/91425

that one is pretty sure using optics - which is why it's so long. When using 2 lenses and some distance in between you get really good throw. With a reflector however depth has not much to do with throw (at least with Luxeon LED's).

jeffb

Flashlight Enthusiast

Am interested, "N" cell TnC is my normal pocket carry light!
jeffb

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast

MillerMods said:
Hey, Me too! Sign me up.

I'd like to see it with a little deeper reflector so that it has a bit more focused beam. But I would like one the way it is if you don't plan to make any changes.

What he said.
:)

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,

What are the dimensions of the light? Your driver sounds pretty cool! N alkys kind of suck for capacity. The NLS only gets ~45 min off one with the MJ microconverter. The NLS is 12.7mm dia X just under 50.8mm long. :D If you produce the light, I want one! :D

Larry

nemul

Flashlight Enthusiast

mobile1 said:
that one is pretty sure using optics - which is why it's so long. When using 2 lenses and some distance in between you get really good throw. With a reflector however depth has not much to do with throw (at least with Luxeon LED's).
flashlightreviews.com
Heliotek HTE-1 (rev. 2)
Inside the head, behind the clear, scratch resistant coated Lexan lens, is the deep reflector......

dc

Newly Enlightened

:wow: ..Nice job Jason.
I think u can become fulltime torchlight machinist liao..haha.

Rgrds,
Daniel

reefphilic

Enlightened

Wow! Surprised that even some well respected modder/builders have expressed interest in this light. To all who had shown their support, thank you!

I'll probably do a small run of it. Right now, I need to have a gauge of the interest in order to get quotations for the different parts. I'll post the price once everything are finalised.

MobileOne : Quite a handful of CPFers own titanium lights and there is no reported cases of galling. If I'm not wrong, galling is a concern mainly during the machining stage or in applications where there is high stress/temperature etc. Using titanium as flashlight body should not cause any problem, at least I have not encounter any problem for my design.

Nemul : Hahaha......I've thought of doing away with the end part but did not because I use it with a lanyard occasionally.

MillerMods : The reflector give a beam pattern of a central hot spot with flood. I do not make it even deeper due to space constrain and also due to reason Moblie1 had pointed out.

Endeavour : Sorry, I didn't do the machining myself, I've no idea how long it took my machinist to do. The battery can last of hours in intermediate setting depending on the settings. I'll do a runtime plot at maximum power asap. Heat should not be an issue due to the design of the heatsink, furthermore the LED is driven at about 350-400mA at the maximum power. Beamshot will be out this weekend.

tvodrd : All thanks to DJpark providing the driver for making this light! The dimensions are dia 15.5 X 60. It can be built smaller but I didn't because of the design. I wanted a can style heatsink for better heat transfer. It also allow a modular system where I can built pills using MJ's microconverter or DD the LED. AAA body can be built for the head so there are choices of using N sized or AAA sized battery of various chemistry.

Another point is that if I'm to do away with the heatsink and epoxy the ciruit to the head directly. The lens and reflector will not be user replaceable.

DC : Thanks for the compliment, but then, I'm not the one who do the machining. : )

S

ss1

i want one. but i need to know the price first.

is there going to be an aluminum version?

Latest posts