Newly Enlightened
Re: N sized Titanium Luxeon light with custom reflector

Very nice!!!

I'm definitely in for at least one.

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast

reefphilic said:
Wow! blah blah blah blah... I'll probably do a small run of it....

Blah blah bla bla bla blaaahhh...

...Beamshot will be out this weekend.

Blah bla bla blah blaah blaahhhh : )
silly-woohoo.gif
toilet_claw.gif

S0000ooooo IN! Actually, 350 to 400mA is great and with adjustable level settings!! Wicked! The modular aspect is a nice touch too. Should keep it in the limelight longer and add revenue to the build :thumbsup:

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast

PS I'll be happy to keep the list updated for this if you need the help :)

It looks like you thought this through for a while and have come up with very nice options/features that you somehow knew we would like.

nemul

Flashlight Enthusiast

Originally Posted by reefphilic
Wow! blah blah blah blah... I'll probably do a small run of it....

Blah blah bla bla bla blaaahhh...

...Beamshot will be out this weekend.

Blah bla bla blah blaah blaahhhh : )
CromagNet only sees what he WANTS to see! lol

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator

keys.jpg

My "N" sized light is made of mod parts for the ARC AAA. The body was made by "jets22" and the LUX I head was made by "d'mo". I got the body first so as to make a smaller ARC and the LUX head to make the ARC brighter. Had one of those moments and realised the two mods could be put together to mak a new light! Runtime kinda sucks....around 6-7 minutes, but is enough to get from the car to the front door and find the key hole.

As I remember the ARC-N (as we called it..."N" body and ARC head) had a runtime of around 4 hours.

Last edited:

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast

Roy said:
keys.jpg

My "N" sized lightis made of mod parts for the ARC AAA. The body was made by "jets22" and the LUX I head was made by "d'mo". I got the body first so as to make a smaller ARC and the LUX head to make the ARC brighter. Had one of those moments and realised the two mods could be put together to mak a new light! Runtime kinda sucks....around 6-7 minutes, but is enough to get from the car to the front door and find the key hole.

As I remember the ARC-N (as we called it..."N" body and ARC head) had a runtime of around 4 hours.
Suuuweeeeet! Have you tried the new LiON from AW? It a 10240 or 12470 or 74538929036746 I can never remember all the different ones

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator

Did some digging and found the following:

ARC body with the "d'mo" head had a runtime of 29m
the "N" body and the ARC head had a runtime of 4h 40m
the NARC had a runtime of 6m

Forgot to mention that "d'mo" used a clear plastic ball for a lens. The NARC puts out a SQUARE beam of light with very little side spill. I don't think he used any kind of reflector...just the "ball" lens focused on the led.

Last edited:

mobile1

Flashlight Enthusiast

reefphilic said:
MobileOne : Quite a handful of CPFers own titanium lights and there is no reported cases of galling. If I'm not wrong, galling is a concern mainly during the machining stage or in applications where there is high stress/temperature etc. Using titanium as flashlight body should not cause any problem, at least I have not encounter any problem for my design.

Ok here are my 2 cents (mostly info I was told). Regarding other TI lights, as far as I know, the other Titanium lights (PD, Bulk) use push buttons, so the TI parts are not dynamic and rubbing against each other.
I am not sure but it seems like you use 2 threaded parts to be rotated to turn the light on and off, right?

Kyle, my partner for the GatLight, who is a professional designer just said (when we discussed the same issue for our TI versions light) that its never a good idea to have TI rubbing against each other - especially not for threaded parts. If galling happens (which is exponentially) the thread will lock, and because it's a thread then you might get another characteristic of TI which is cold welding - where TI welds together under pressure. For example in our light when we press the TI bars through the center section, that pressure is enough for the bars to cold weld together with the center section. In order to remove such a bar, the weld needs to be broken. We are using 99% titanium, galling is apparently less of a problem with stronger TI alloys. Anyway these are just our thoughts why we didnt do 2 threaded TI parts rubbing against each other it in our light.

I found some text regarding the same problem here: http://www.bikepro.com/products/stems/stemover.html
-------------
It is only fair to tell however that a problem exists frequently when a Titanium bolt is threaded into another threaded piece of Titanium, specifically a Titanium binder bolt threaded into an all Titanium stem. Titanium is an unyielding metal, and the tendency is for the two surfaces to not slide against each other, but stop moving and "seize", preventing further installation or, even removal. There are coatings and processes that attempt to prevent this from happening, but this is an intrinsic quality of the metal, and the processes and coatings can't, at this time, be considered really perfect. Replacing with Titanium, the binder bolt in a Titanium stem is not recommended, but Finishline Ti Prep is made to solve this problem.
--------------
So I guess as long as you have Finishline's TI Prep on these threads the problem can be temporarily prevented.

In our case however we desided to make one of the parts with threading another material - simply to prevent the issue of galling and interlocking to have a light that truly lasts forever.

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Cool light!! :D

[OT] The McLuxIII-T is a twisty so the head and body will be twisted on and off considerably. With the 20 pitch thread and Krytox lube, I am not concerned with galling on these lights. I don't believe the force of the battery spring is enough to induce any problems. I am familiar with Ti as well as stainless steel galling and it is much more likely when the threads are under tension against eachother. A company called Navtec made some reverse turnbuckles that were all stainless many years back and galling as well as crevis corrosion resulted in some failed turnbuckles and they went to a silicone bronze screw in stainless receiver to alliviate the problem. I have also heard of heat treating one component in Ti while leaving the other anealed to reduce galling.

Again, with the 6-4 Ti in my McLuxIII-T, I am not concerned about galling since the head is never tigntened significantly into the battery tube. :shrug: BTW, I do have a couple aluminum parts that have galled and siezed up! I would guess that something got jammed in the threads and further twisting forced the thread surfaces against eachother. [/OT]

reefphilic

Enlightened

ss1 : I can't tell if there'll be an aluminium version right now. I can't even confirm if there'll be a titanium run. I will speak to someone with lots of experience working with titanium to decide whether to go ahead with the small run of the titanium version.

CromagNet : I agree with you about the circuit. Credit goes to DJPark for making this light a possibility. I did thought through all the possibilities/options before finalising the details. Quite surprised that something that looks so simple can actually take so much time to design and built. :stupid: Thanks for your offer, please go ahead. I'll post update once there is any.

Roy : Wow! Runtime of only 6-7 mins? What type of circuit and battery are you using? That thing must be freaking bright!

Mobile1 : Thanks for the informations and the link. Titanium is not the only materials that may cause galling. Stainless steel and aluminium both have the tendency to gall too but we never hear of such thing happening to flashlights. Whether seizing happen depend mostly on the applications and the environments. Yes, titanium are more prone to it them SS or Al but galling of titanium bolts and nuts happen due to several reasons, mainly because well, bolts and nuts are suppose to be tighten, therefore they are subjected to very high stress/pressure at the contact points.
For my light, the twisting action is mainly for turning the light on/off and other settings purpose. It is not for holding enormous load as in the case of bolt/nut. Like what McGizmo had said. I don't think the force from the battery spring will cause galling.
There are some other titanium lights that apply the twisting action. Two that I can think of right now is the one built by ArsMachina and the Ti Raw. Of course, their no. is too small to prove anything. Thanks for your concern and for reminding me. I'll check with someone with lots of experience working with titanium soon before proceeding.

Below is a very informative site about galling:
http://www.txucorp.com/power/generation_services/publications/whitepaper.aspx

McGizmo : Thanks for sharing your experience.

Last edited:

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast

reefphilic said:
Wow! ... To all who had shown their support, thank you!

I'll probably do a small run of it. Right now, I need to have a gauge of the interest in order to get quotations for the different parts. I'll post the price once everything are finalised.
Here is the interest list. Please post in this thread if you would like to be added or removed to this list.

1. gregw
2. CromagNet
3. JimH
4. nemul
5. acusifu
6. sengoku
7. cy
8. alauda
9. AW
10. chasm22
11. marcspar
12. KingSmono
13. LazerBurnz
14. Frenchyled
15. nystrpr
16. bmstrong
17. MillerMods
18. christrose
19. voodoogreg
20. thesurefire
21. jeffb
22. GJW
23. tvodrd
24. Trev1960
25. ss1
26. JohnnyDeep
27. FRANKVZ
28. Amorphous
29. karlthev

reefphilic said:
I'll do a runtime plot at maximum power asap. Beamshot will be out this weekend.
Great news! I for one can hardly wait.
silly-fly.gif

Last edited:

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast

PS I have updated my post at the biginning of this thread for the most recent list updates.

Bogus1

Flashlight Enthusiast

CromagNet,

I'll probably go for one of these if you want to put me on the list.

Thanks

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast

Position 22 has a typo.
:sssh: