Name something from your state that surprises you

raggie33

*the raggedier*
Ill start im in georgia it blows my mind the band the b52s are from here there so darn cool

Eicca

Newly Enlightened
I'm in Utah and it's absolutely appalling how bad the behavior is while driving.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Just found out It is against the law in New York State to speak in an elevator! id be in jail for life if they knew what else I've done in them😂😂

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The weather is a surprise in my state unless you stay tuned to the weather forecast.

I cancelled a field meeting today since the weather forecast called for snow. Last night when I went to bed the forecast was for it to be a cloudy day.

Then it rained instead of snow.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
It's illegal to use an x-ray machine for shoe fitting in my state.

It's illegal to use a railroad crossing for a parking spot.

And in one County it IS legal for a man to beat his wife on that county's courthouse steps as long as it is before 8pm.
Now that one surprised me.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
I live in California. In San Diego, it's illegal to shoot jackrabbits from a streetcar/trolley.
In San Francisco, it's illegal to walk your elephant down Market Street without a leash. It's also illegal to pile horse manure HIGHER than 6 feet on any street corner.
In Fresno, it's illegal to sell Sharpies/permanent markers. Also illegal to bother lizards or disturb or injure a rock in city parks.
In CA, no vehicle without a driver may exceed 60 mph.
In Walnut, flying a kite higher than 10 feet is prohibited.
In Palm Springs, it's illegal to walk a camel down Palm Canyon Drive between 4-6 p.m.
In Chico, detonating a nuclear device is a $500 fine. Bowling on the sidewalk is also illegal there.
In Los Angeles, it is illegal to shoot any animal from a moving vehicle unless the target is a whale (fat people in gang territory beware). Also illegal to hunt for moths under a street light.
Redwood City has outlawed the frying of gravy.
In Berkeley, it is illegal to whistle for a lost canary before 7 a.m.
In Redlands, motor vehicles may not drive on city streets unless a man with a lantern is walking in front of it.
In Indian Wells, it is illegal to drink cement.
In Hollywood, it is illegal to drive MORE THAN two thousand sheep down Hollywood Boulevard at one time.
In Dana Point, it's illegal to use your own restroom if the window is open.
In Glendale, it's illegal to jump into a passing car. Also illegal for cars to drive in reverse.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
You forgot in San Francisco it's illegal to jump off the Golden Gate Bridge, but it is okay to defecate on the street corners

After my last visit to downtown area I felt like jumping off the bridge!

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
You forgot in San Francisco it's illegal to jump off the Golden Gate Bridge, but it is okay to defecate on the street corners

After my last visit to downtown area I felt like jumping off the bridge!
In San Francisco it's also illegal to walk down any street if you are classified as ugly. All the ugly people are stuck there because it's against the law for them to move.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's not in my state, but I recall there is a law somewhere in the US where it is illegal to offer a cigarette to a squirrel.
What a draconian law, how can you not offer a cigarette to a squirrel, it is a common decency lol.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
In my state i'm very surprised by pretty much everything our officials do, starting from city council, and all the way to the governor, and everyone in between

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
One lawmaker in California tried to pass a law making it illegal to have more than three dogs in your lap while driving. The governator vetoed it. I wish lawmakers had to have a police officer to run their ideas by before them becoming law. We would have a lot less dumb laws if every time a politician came up with a dumb idea, a cop was there to smack them on the back of the head. They never take into consideration that cops time is a limited resource and having to enforce these dumb laws takes time away from saving lives or stopping real crime. Sure it's fun to laugh at the absurdity and stupidity of what these politicians call laws, but I don't want them detracting from or minimalizing the importance of a police officer's duties.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
In San Francisco it's also illegal to walk down any street if you are classified as ugly. All the ugly people are stuck there because it's against the law for them to move.
San Francisco is the only city I have been to where you can spot a random person on the street and honestly ask, "What was that?" Some people you can't tell if they are human, alien, a pin cushion (lots of piercings), or a piece of art (head to toe tattoos). I don't know whether to introduce myself, ask them to "take me to your leader", wrap them up to keep their sharp points from injuring someone, or hang them up on the wall. Obviously, nobody is following the law.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
Well i know longer want to go to san fran. Id never fit in i still have zero tats or percings not even my ears. Im plain and boring

pnwoutdoors

Enlightened
Went to San Francisco once back in the early 1980s. Have only been driving through it (not stopping) a handful of times since then. There are a few tolerable neighborhoods, sure, and a few streets' shops have the "vibe" that speaks of "neighborhood." But it's enmeshed in a web of nastiness and awful behaviors, among the other folks who live there and the other regions of that city, that it's no longer worthwhile to be near. At least, not IMO. Too much noise. Far too much traffic. And far, far too much tolerated as "normal" behavior. In many places, one can't step "cleanly" over a pile of needles without stepping in dung. They can have it. (Isn't hardly indicative of the whole of the space within city limits, but still.)