Name something from your state that surprises you

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Went to San Francisco once back in the early 1980s. Have only been driving through it (not stopping) a handful of times since then. There are a few tolerable neighborhoods, sure, and a few streets' shops have the "vibe" that speaks of "neighborhood." But it's enmeshed in a web of nastiness and awful behaviors, among the other folks who live there and the other regions of that city, that it's no longer worthwhile to be near. At least, not IMO. Too much noise. Far too much traffic. And far, far too much tolerated as "normal" behavior. In many places, one can't step "cleanly" over a pile of needles without stepping in dung. They can have it. (Isn't hardly indicative of the whole of the space within city limits, but still.)

raggie33

*the raggedier*
Today i saw a person with full make up breast and a beard. I feel i need to be more understanding but i was a bit confussed

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always wanted to buy some silicone boobies then mount them on my truck dashboard. A firm set of 36 D's might either save me from a traffic violation or get me thrown in jail if I get pulled over by a policewoman :drool:

ledbetter

Enlightened
Ignorance is bliss I guess. Just spent two weeks in San Francisco with my wife taking care of a friend's house and pets. Admittedly, a great part of town, but didn't move the car once and walked/public transport to everything. Great food, shopping, booze, etc. though we avoided most indoor activities. And everyone is masked without making a big deal about it and spouting their rights, their freedom, their stupidity. Just manners and consideration for others. Keep on spreading nonsense about needles - which only concerns about 2 city blocks - to keep tourists and rubes away and let Californians enjoy it for a change. Funny how people think the media is full of lies, then they believe them!

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Yesterday in my state there was a very thin coat of ice that surpised a whole bunch of people. Everything looked damp like when fog sets in but it was all frozen. SURPRISE!!

Jean-Luc Descarte

Enlightened
Here's from a non-american, for a change: in my state, we get few power outages as it is, and the vast majority of the few that do happen, take place in midday hours of sunny days. Barring big weather events like catastrophic windstorms that uproot 20% of the entire capital city's trees and rips off branches of god knows how many more (it happened recently here), it's always in the middle of a blue sunny day. It amuses and frustrates my flashaholic self in equal measure.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm from Wisconsin and it shocks me every winter that people forget how to drive in snow. Come on, that should come as naturally to a Wisconsinite as drinking beer and milking cows!

Also due to the bipolar weather we have, you can get both heat stroke and frost bite within a 24 hour period.

turbodog

Flashaholic
Here's from a non-american, for a change: in my state, we get few power outages as it is, and the vast majority of the few that do happen, take place in midday hours of sunny days. Barring big weather events like catastrophic windstorms that uproot 20% of the entire capital city's trees and rips off branches of god knows how many more (it happened recently here), it's always in the middle of a blue sunny day. It amuses and frustrates my flashaholic self in equal measure.

Very well could be line/infrastructure maintenance or capacity issues relating to those sunny days and a/c usage.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
California has the highest mountain in the contiguous United Stated, Mt. Whitney. You can hike the 11 miles to the top, and back in a day or two. If you do it in a day, because of about a third less oxygen and over 6,000 feet of elevation gain, it's about the equivalent of running a marathon, with much more danger. The thing that surprised me the one time I made it to the top on a solo overnight backpacking trip was the Staples Easy Button sitting on top of the trail's sign in register. Pushed the button and it said, "Wasn't that easy?" That's the longest punchline I've ever seen.

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Forget potatoes, Idaho is called the "Gem State" - More than 72 different types of precious and semi-precious gemstones are found in every corner of Idaho.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The venus fly trap did not originate in some deep dark jungle in some prehistoric place where spiders have 4" fangs, but sunny swamps of north carolina and south carolina. And studys show it used to not be a carnivore.
Now if I were from north or souh carolina and did not live near a swamp I would be surprised to find out those plants did not come there from the amazon rain forest or even Amazon for that matter.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
San Francisco's homeless crisis is so bad, the city is calling on residents to take a homeless person into their own homes.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
The venus fly trap did not originate in some deep dark jungle in some prehistoric place where spiders have 4" fangs, but sunny swamps of north carolina and south carolina. And studys show it used to not be a carnivore.
Now if I were from north or souh carolina and did not live near a swamp I would be surprised to find out those plants did not come there from the amazon rain forest or even Amazon for that matter.
Have ya'll seen Little Shop of Horrors..

A "Mean Green Mother" could be the answer to what to do with all the homeless in SF?

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
California has the highest mountain in the contiguous United Stated, Mt. Whitney. You can hike the 11 miles to the top, and back in a day or two. If you do it in a day, because of about a third less oxygen and over 6,000 feet of elevation gain, it's about the equivalent of running a marathon, with much more danger. The thing that surprised me the one time I made it to the top on a solo overnight backpacking trip was the Staples Easy Button sitting on top of the trail's sign in register. Pushed the button and it said, "Wasn't that easy?" That's the longest punchline I've ever seen.
That reminds me of the mountains in the Tucson area, where some birds migrate from the top of the mountain to the bottom in the winter, then back to the top in the summer. I'm guessing the same thing happens around Mt. Whitney.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
Ps they call this the peach state and I not once saw a peach trees