Need a light for older person! not sure if this has been asked before...

strideredc

Enlightened
Need a light for my mum! so no modes (maybe 2 max) and ideally a clicky side button for operation? needs to take AA cells (1 or 2 max) doesn't need to be that small with tiny buttons as her fingers are not great so small form factor isnt that good.

There are so many budget lights out on ebay ect i don't know where to start!

And power output isnt that important! 'sacrilege' i know but as long as its got 100lm that would be fine i think

Any help would be great. i am in the UK but that shouldn't matter as a have a forwarding service i can use... not looking for surefire quality as it will be used, abused and then lost by her...:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Tulip bush

Enlightened
Has 3 modes, but worth considering, got one for my mum.
Always starts in lowest mode.

The small Fenix E12 might be just a tad too big for carrying on a bunch of keys. Yes it's so small that you can always carry it with you. And when need occurs, a full-function torch is revealed in this small appearance. With three light modes and a maximum light output of 130 lumens you will not fall short of light or options. The E12 functions on a single AA battery, on which it works for a maximum of 40 hours.

The operation of the E12 is done with a switch at the back of the torch. Pressing it until you hear the click, switches the torch on or off. With a half-press you go through the different light modes.

Product Specifications

• 3 light modes (burn time with NiMH-battery):
    - Low (8 ANSI lumen, 40 hrs)
    - Mid (50 ANSI lumen, 6 hrs 30 min.)
  • Maintains constant brightness.

• - High (130 ANSI lumen, 1 hrs 30 min.)

Last edited:

Norman

Newly Enlightened
Agreed on the E12. Nice light, and it starts on low, so it doesn't blind you before you switch to the next mode.

If you're concerned about losing it, perhaps a visit to your local "dollar" store can help. You can get a "retractable keychain holder". It has a belt clip, so she could clip it inside a purse, and you could connect the wrist lanyard to the end. If the cable is too short, you can also get one of those shorter coiled key holders (in a nice easily findable neon colour) to attach to it.

Poppy

Flashaholic
If it is to be a house-hold light, not necessarily one carried in her purse, then I like the 2-C cell size lights for older/arthritic hands.
D cell lights may be better, depending upon how limited her grasp may be.

With a side button switch, you might consider looking at something like the 2C cell Maglite ML100.
If AA cells are a must, either can be run with C or D to AA adapters.

maglite mike

Enlightened
A good value is the Maglite ml125. It's a rechargable light that also runs on C alkaline. The Maglite site had these for $45 on black Friday.

strideredc

Enlightened
Thanks all, i will have another look at the E12 but c cells are a little heavy i think as its a bag light...

Jambo

Newly Enlightened
Just got my ex in laws a Olight s2a for Christmas. In their late sixties/early seventies, similar parameters. Have a look, for a double aa I was surprised how small and slim it was when it turned up. It might be a bit too much so for you.

Long story, my ex in-laws are lovely people, still have a lot of time for them. My ex wife however... :D

Chevy-SS

Enlightened
You mention fingers not being that great... well, how about a AA light with 'tactical' momentary tail switch?? I have tons of lights and this is definitely my preferred switch. With the tail switch, there's no fumbling around trying to find the side button, which is often minuscule and hard to operate.

I like something like this: FOURSEVENS Quark Tactical QTA 109 Lumen 1 x AA CREE XP-G LED Flashlight

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Use the K.I.S.S. method (Keep It Super Simple). Not really pushing Maglites but this is one use where they fit perfectly and I'd suggest a model or two.

First suggestion would be a plain old Minimag LED but with lithium AA's. Cheap, simple, tough, and readily available. 97 lumens so it's bright enough but not blinding. Weighs almost nothing (about 4 ounces/117 grams, including alkalines). Super easy to use - no multi modes, just an easy twist on and off. Learning to use the candle stand feature is easy even with arthritic hands - when the power goes out it will be much appreciated and also far safer than using candles (just remove the top of the flashlight and it can be used as a base for the light - the bare LED functions just like a candle). Will still work after it's been dropped and able to have a lanyard attached via a key ring. Fits in a pocket, purse, and can come with a clip if needed. Small enough to carry but not so small to be easily lost. I think the Minimag Pro would be too bright for her use (claimed 274 lumens) and the AAA Minimag would be too small for her to use comfortably.

Lithium AA batteries cost a bit but weigh nothing, have an incredible shelf life, and plenty of power. I've never heard of lithium batteries leaking like alkalines do. Most older persons aren't going to want to deal with rechargeable batteries.

No, a Minimag is not fancy or the latest thing. That's why it's a good choice. Many older folks especially those with mobility/agility problems aren't likely to use a flashlight they deem too complicated or even worse "too special," so something simple will actually get used instead of being tucked in a drawer and forgotten.

As for a 2 C cell light, the Maglite ML25LT operates exactly like a Minimag (including candle stand feature). It's about the same length as a Minimag, and with alkaline batteries weighs a little over 11 ounces/317 grams. It's not big and heavy like most C or D cell flashlights. Since it might be easier to use with older hands this would be my choice for a flashlight in the home. No hole for a key ring/lanyard and too big for a pocket though but just leave one bedside or on the kitchen counter.

Both of these lights are inexpensive enough that you could purchase multiples of them for the price of a single light from. other brands. Here in the US you can buy 4 or even 5 of either of these lights for a total of about $100US and that's in brick and mortar stores, not even online. Extra lights in the house means not having to search as long to find one when it's really needed.

LetThereBeLight!

Enlightened
I'd get her four NEBO "Flip-It" lights which come two to a pack-- great design & she could carry one if need be.

Kudzu

Newly Enlightened
Fenix E12 is a good suggestion.

I got my mom a Thrunite T10, which is another single-AA light. The advantage there is it has a 0.2-lumen firefly mode, so she can just leave it on as a nightlight if she's in, say, a hotel room.

strideredc

Enlightened
I ended up getting this off ebay.co.uk... 1.74 of my English pounds! (cant do a pound sign as i have an American laptop $$$$$ only!)

3500LM CREE XML T6 LED Fit AA Battery Flashlight Lamp Pocket Size Torch Light

It even comes with a compass on the back that works SO bad it doesn't work at all!

Its got a angry blue purple beam that is free of rings and got nice sidespill and a bit of throw, its not 3500LM though! ;) I would say about 40/50? it does have a very nice positive clicky (not a forward clicky) the button is also very grippy rubber coated. all in all you get what you pay for...

Would i take it to war....No at most i would take it to the end of the garden! Time will tell on reliability but size and weight are spot on for living in my mums handbag... dont all rush out and buy one all at once!