Need a Spotlight to Turn Off Streetlight Photocell

BVH

Flashaholic
I can report that my carbon arc did, in-fact, shut a Los Angeles street light off in front of the club I worked at a couple of times. The cycle was: beam hits top of light - light goes off. Light restrikes in about 35 seconds or so (after 2nd CA pass) and gets to full or near full brightness and then on 3rd pass of CA, goes out again. Repeat, repeat, repeat etc.

SFG2Lman

Enlightened
why not incorporate it into your christmas display? dress it up like the star and have the wise men stare at it...problem solved

get-lit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unplug the lamp and run an extension cord to your house to help with christmas light electricy costs.

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the original poster's intent was to rationalize buying a nice spotlight. But if not, my vote for building "throwies" and having a competition with the local kids: "ok kids, who can get their throwie to stick closest to that round thing on top of the light pole!"

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Unplug the lamp and run an extension cord to your house to help with christmas light electricy costs.

That could replace step two of the idea I came up with last year for Christmas lighting:

1. Purchase a dozen ballast housings for this specific bulb [Philips 400W sodium halide, 37,000 lumens each], and tint (paint/dye) the lens/Fresnel assembly for each a variety of colors.

2. Purchase a trio of small surge protector strips (four lights/1600 watts per strip, most strips will only handle ~1800)

3. Mount the twelve lights on your house or around your yard.

Once everything is plugged in and turned on, you'll have 450,000 lumens of Flashaholic Holiday Spirit for your entire neighborhood and the airspace above it to enjoy :thumbsup:

Patriot

Flashaholic
Ok, I understand where everyone is coming from. I will check with the city. Just curious now...What would be the best spotlight, all the way around, under $100.

Lights under $100 are going to be very basic. All HID's in this price range will have SLA batteries and wall-wart chargers. The best value seems to be the Stanley HID from Warlmart stores.

There is a huge thread about it HERE

SFG2Lman

Enlightened
lightning seems to work fine, straight after a flash in the sky the whole street lights shut off for about 3-4mins.

you could build a collosal tesla coil and create your own local lightning 24-7 to keep the street light off!

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
you could build a collosal tesla coil and create your own local lightning 24-7 to keep the street light off!

This is an awesome, but expensive plan! :devil:

To the OP: you neighbor is aware of your plans, correct?

-Robert

EDIT: I just noticed this is my 666 post on CPF and the only smiley I used was the devil one, LOL. Weird... :D

Last edited:

jamie.91

Enlightened
a laser is definatley the way to go

check out "laser pointer forums" and have a look at some of the 80mW blu rays, that should do it

i have neve baught from him but a member on LPF called IgorT always has a good rep try him

jamie

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
The HID I used for the experiment is the one I would recommend in your price range; the Stanley HID3000, $70. But buying it just for turning off streetlights would be seriously selling it short..

+1 to StarHalo's excellent recommendation. I own the Stanley HID 3000, and it I can attest to the fact that it is unbelievably bright and powerful. It can be found in the automotive lighting section at Wal-Mart.

IgNITEor

Newly Enlightened
Streetlights,.........sometimes on when you really need 'em, some never shut off, and some cycle endlessly :mad:.

Where's the neighbor who works for a company that has a bucket truck?

The utility version's have a quick change photo eye with a twistlock base.
Since you wrote that all the lights are similar in your 'hood, this may be the style they're using. If you can get up there, twist that thing off.

This is a cheap option if you can get a good angle and it may take up to fifteen minutes of shine time to take effect:

http://www.stagelightingusa.com/PAR36-PIN-SPOT-with-PLATINUM-4515-Spotlamp-2298-prod.htm

It's strictly indoor. Nothing a little duct tape won't fix!

IgNITEor

Newly Enlightened
is that legit? so many lumens :eek:
I scrolled all the way down and the saw the typo. That's got to be BCP in their specs.
Now that I think about this, I'd like to try pushing this lamp a little harder.

If it can't take care of ProLawn's streetlight, maybe a little mirror ball action
could work with the Christmas display?

Flashanator

Flashlight Enthusiast
id like to have a tripod mounted on my roof with a small laser pointer running on ac power aimed at it & timed to send a pulse of light ever few mins to keep it off all night. :D

mtbkndad

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a bit out of your price range, but the Titanium Inovations Mega Illuminator can run plugged in to AC.

http://www.batteryjunction.com/mega-illuminator.html

It has a very tight spot that can be directly focused on the photo sensor and 100 feet will be no problem if the sensor is facing the right direction.

Take Care,
mtbkndad :wave:

spoonrobot

Enlightened
This is a really weird thread, reminds me of the one about the guy who needed a light to catch his neighbors using a wood-burning stove. Seems like a very passive-aggressive action; why don't you just walk over there and talk to your neighbor? If you know them well enough to shine a very bright light on their property for several hours a night for an entire month you should be able to get them to just turn the thing off. If not, respect their decision and don't sweat the small stuff.