New 2nd Generation Cree XP-G2 LED!

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Swapped the led in my maratac cu today. Took some quick before and after pictures of the beam.
Camera settings on all shots are: shutter 0,4sek. F6,3. iso200. WB daylight. Distance to wall is 1,5 meters.

86386701.jpg

Xp-g maratac cu lo mode.

54170277.jpg

Xp-g2 maratac cu lo mode.

17487042.jpg

Xp-g maratac cu hi mode.

83565119.jpg

Xp-g2 maratac cu hi mode.

Put the same batt in a old lf2xt with a neutral xp-e i think it's q4. The lf2xt got a deeper reflector, you can see the spill is narrower.
86119232.jpg

Tried to make a gif, but my photoshop skills are too weak :) Really easy to see the difference between the stock xp-g and the xp-g2 when in a slideshow. So if anyone want to make a gif, feel free to do so :) Hotspot shrinked a tiny bit, and got brighter. The spill really got brighter. I like it :)

Last edited:

bose301s

Newly Enlightened
Swapped the led in my maratac cu today. Took some quick before and after pictures of the beam.
Camera settings on all shots are: shutter 0,4sek. F6,3. iso200. WB daylight. Distance to wall is 1,5 meters.

86386701.jpg

Xp-g maratac cu lo mode.

54170277.jpg

Xp-g2 maratac cu lo mode.

17487042.jpg

Xp-g maratac cu hi mode.

83565119.jpg

Xp-g2 maratac cu hi mode.

Put the same batt in a old lf2xt with a neutral xp-e i think it's q4. The lf2xt got a deeper reflector, you can see the spill is narrower.
86119232.jpg

Tried to make a gif, but my photoshop skills are too weak :) Really easy to see the difference between the stock xp-g and the xp-g2 when in a slideshow. So if anyone want to make a gif, feel free to do so :) Hotspot shrinked a tiny bit, and got brighter. The spill really got brighter. I like it :)
How hard was that to do and where did you get the LED from? I would consider doing it to mine.

Glock 22

Enlightened
Awesome beamshots. I just bought a M61SHO, and I'm totally impressed with this new XP-G2. I like the throw and the tint color as well. This has been an awesome upgrade.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
How hard was that to do and where did you get the LED from? I would consider doing it to mine.

Not hard at all, maby 10 minutes of work. No threadlock in the new version maratac cu. So you just unscrew the pill and desloder the old led and put in a new one. Got my leds from cutter, the mpcb is thicker than the stock. So yo need to reflow the led to the stock board, or sand the cutter board down 0.5 mm. If you just put the cutter led in, you will get a big gap between the head and the tube.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks papalumen. They look way better this way.:twothumbs

Last edited:

easilyled

Flashaholic
I'm very impressed with the beam that the XP-G2 provides in my 007 after having it upgraded from an XP-G.

On 1.4A, the output is terrific and the beam has a great mixture of both throw and spill.

Blitzwing

Enlightened
I have some g2 r4 1a tint emitters on the way from intl-outdoor, along with 2.1a drivers. Building two pills with three modes for my Solar force m3 and an L2.

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Im currently looking at getting an eb1 and swapping in an xpg2. The drop in forward voltage should result in slightly better regulation, and I dont think there would be much loss of throw. I love the g2 ive swapped into my ra clicky. Ive swaped back anforth between it and the xpe r2 id had previously several timez and to my eye there is no appreciable difference in throw between the two leds and a much parger kore useful spill and hotspot with the g2. Im very satisfied with this :)

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Im currently looking at getting an eb1 and swapping in an xpg2. The drop in forward voltage should result in slightly better regulation, and I dont think there would be much loss of throw. I love the g2 ive swapped into my ra clicky. Ive swaped back anforth between it and the xpe r2 id had previously several timez and to my eye there is no appreciable difference in throw between the two leds and a much parger kore useful spill and hotspot with the g2. Im very satisfied with this :)

John Galt! How is that atmospheric statically powered light coming along? We want beam shots!

fedcas

Newly Enlightened
hi,
i can see that the xp-g2 die is bigger than the xp-g one, so is the dome... so the beam should be less focused if I swap the emitter and keep the same reflector.
But:
1) is the effect just the same if i have an optic collimatore instead of a reflector?
2) is the effect noticeable or just a minor thing? Cause i think my headleamp is too focused and i would like it more flood. Let's say, is the difference in the beam XPG -> XPG2 bigger or smaller than the difference you have when swapping XPE -> XPG?

i'm a bit confused from that picture, xpg2 has definitely more spill, which is what i want, but the hotspot seems smaller and the fading from hotspot to spill seems less gradual, which is exactly what i don't want...

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
hi,
i can see that the xp-g2 die is bigger than the xp-g one, so is the dome... so the beam should be less focused if I swap the emitter and keep the same reflector.
The xp-g2 die is the same size as the xp-g. The dome is larger, and the apparent size is smaller. That is why the hot spot is smaller and more intense.