NEW Black&Decker V2 Million Power Series spotlight

Showolf

Newly Enlightened
I have definitely had way more fun than should be allowed with this amazing light! Highly recommended...

Showolf

Newly Enlightened
I took this spotlight to the beach last night and its performance confirmed that it is easily the #1 pistol gripped thrower available... I was hitting whitecaps crashing 500-600 yards away from shore! Simply awesome....

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
As always nice light comparison Mr. Spotlight! :thumbsup:

Now looking at the 2 lights it's obvious the POB is flogging the B&D... what's hard to accept (at least visually) is the the B&D is running a 50w halogen bulb! :thinking:

bdvspobuj6.jpg

I promise more beamshots soon comparing it to some of my other lights like the N30, 3mcp Vector and 15mcp Thor.:)

Ah yes... I'll be looking forward to this one (even if my bandwidth isn't) :popcorn:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Why does the POB color tint look so green in all those pics? Is the color tint that bad? The B&D by comparison may be dimmer, but it looks to resolve a lot of detail due to its color tint.

thanks again!!

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
Very nice review!:twothumbs

Thank you toby pra, I appreciate it!:thumbsup:

I took this spotlight to the beach last night and its performance confirmed that it is easily the #1 pistol gripped thrower available... I was hitting whitecaps crashing 500-600 yards away from shore! Simply awesome....

I am glad it is performing so well for you.:) This light is definitely my favorite pistol grip spotlight I have ever used. It sure has no problem lighting up objects 600 yards away!

As always nice light comparison Mr. Spotlight! :thumbsup:

Now looking at the 2 lights it's obvious the POB is flogging the B&D... what's hard to accept (at least visually) is the the B&D is running a 50w halogen bulb! :thinking:

bdvspobuj6.jpg

Ah yes... I'll be looking forward to this one (even if my bandwidth isn't) :popcorn:

Thanks M@elstrom!:grin2: The POB is quite a bit brighter than the Black&Decker, but the Black&Decker is unbelievably bright and powerful for only 55 watts. It must have a really good battery and high quality reflector to be able to achieve that kind of performance. I am still very impressed at how it is so incredibly close to the POB in throw, and based on my experience so far it nearly equals the N30 in throw (the N30 is still a lot brighter in overall output though).

Why does the POB color tint look so green in all those pics? Is the color tint that bad? The B&D by comparison may be dimmer, but it looks to resolve a lot of detail due to its color tint.

thanks again!!

I'm not sure why it appears so green in those pictures, it is actually much more blue than that. That being said, the Black&Decker does give much better color rendition.;)

Here are the pictures I took tonight. I know I still need to post one of it taken apart, and will get that done as soon as I can.:)

The target plant is around 20 yards away, and the hotspots of the two lights are directly on it. The first beamshot is of the Black&Decker and the second one is the N30.

000bd.jpg

000n30.jpg

The Black&Decker is my favorite spotlight of all behind my N30 and Mega Illuminator, and I feel it has the highest price to performance ratio of any incandescent spotlight I have ever owned.:twothumbs

Showolf

Newly Enlightened
Thank you toby pra, I appreciate it!:thumbsup:

I am glad it is performing so well for you.:) This light is definitely my favorite pistol grip spotlight I have ever used. It sure has no problem lighting up objects 600 yards away!

Thanks M@elstrom!:grin2: The POB is quite a bit brighter than the Black&Decker, but the Black&Decker is unbelievably bright and powerful for only 55 watts. It must have a really good battery and high quality reflector to be able to achieve that kind of performance. I am still very impressed at how it is so incredibly close to the POB in throw, and based on my experience so far it nearly equals the N30 in throw (the N30 is still a lot brighter in overall output though).

I'm not sure why it appears so green in those pictures, it is actually much more blue than that. That being said, the Black&Decker does give much better color rendition.;)

Here are the pictures I took tonight. I know I still need to post one of it taken apart, and will get that done as soon as I can.:)

The target plant is around 20 yards away, and the hotspots of the two lights are directly on it. The first beamshot is of the Black&Decker and the second one is the N30.

000bd.jpg

000n30.jpg

The Black&Decker is my favorite spotlight of all behind my N30 and Mega Illuminator, and I feel it has the highest price to performance ratio of any incandescent spotlight I have ever owned.:twothumbs

Great beamshots! I personally prefer the Black & Decker due to its whiteness and ability to well define any object it hits... I don't think you will find a 55W bulbed spotlight more impressive than this one! I would have believed it was 55Watts had I not read it on the package specs... It surely performs right up there with any of the big boy lights, and is really tough to beat for the price!!!!

Parker VH

Enlightened

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
Does the light or the box it came in show a model number? I went to my local Home Depot and they JUST ran out of the model SL202B. Googling it however, turns up this one:

This is either a different model or a previous version of yours.

Thanks!

Mine is model number SL302B, and is different from the orange one. I owned the orange one (SL202B that your link goes to) for a short period of time a few months ago, and I do not recall it throwing as well as the black one does.:) It ended up breaking (would not operate) after the first few uses and I took it back.

The package my new one came in states that it uses a 55W/35W bulb, and it is a dual filament whereas the orange one had only a single filament.;)

Last edited:

Parker VH

Enlightened
So could you swap out the dual filament bulb for say, a 75 or 100w halogen H3 in this unit?

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
So could you swap out the dual filament bulb for say, a 75 or 100w halogen H3 in this unit?

I would think so.:) The bulb itself appears to be exactly the same in size and shape as any other 100W, 55W or 75W H3 bulb I have ever seen. I am just not sure how the high and low settings would affect a single filament bulb.

Bushman5

Enlightened
swap in one of the PIAA H3 (or H4) bulbs.....pure pure ultra pure white light!

BigMHoff

Newly Enlightened
I got one at Home Depot. It seems to work fine, but the little green and red leds dont light up when charging/charged? It works great. Really bright. Big, but it fits in the big rectangular "cup holder" in the center console of my Ram. Amazing for $30! Every pick-up truck needs one!

Last edited:

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just bought one, and powered it on once I got it home. It's charging, and I'll be playing with it soon. The heft is about right for one-hand use, but I may need to shift the bulb - my low-beam is unfocused. Perhaps that's deliberate?

Edit:
Update - DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANG! It hurts the eyes to use this in most underground spaces. Buy this box of sun, especially if you don't already have a spotlight.

Last edited:

IlluminatedOne

Newly Enlightened
I just got one of these lights at Home Depot, really great light for $29.99.

I have not had chance to really test the throw, other than shining it down the street and seeing the road signs reflect back at me.

My low is unfocused too.
Although i was thinking that dropping in a single filament H3 bulb would probably make the beam nicer as it would be more centered.

I will have to try to get out some where with a large area without much ambient lighting.

I should stop reading on this forum i have ended up buying 3 lights in less than 2months, and now i have just ordered a Maha C9000 :eek:oo: :) .

Last edited:

IlluminatedOne

Newly Enlightened
I took my light apart and took a few pictures, i think that it may be possible to fit a HID ballast in there if you ditched the SLA and AC adaptor.

blackdeckerlight001.jpg

blackdeckerlight002.jpg

blackdeckerlight003.jpg

blackdeckerlight004.jpg

blackdeckerlight005.jpg

blackdeckerlight006.jpg

IlluminatedOne

Newly Enlightened
Just thought i would do a small update as i have been doing some minor mods for this light.

I wanted to be able to run the light directly off a cigarette socket or a 24ah SLA battery i have so have modified the light so now the 12v DC socket on the light is connected directly to the internal battery.
Which also means the internal charging circuit is now not used but i just tapped into the DC jack on the circuit board so i have a direct connection to the battery and can use my own external SLA battery charger if need be.
But i think the little 3ah battery is not charging up as it used to as it only gets to about 12.4v rather than the usual 14v when charged. But now as i can actually remove the SLA inside and run it on external power its not really important and a replacement SLA would probably cost more than the light is worth.

Also i did some LUX measurements for the light before i modded it and as the battery is not 100% you may get better output if your battery is in better condition than mine.
So the numbers i got were

Low Beam 35w =26400lux@1m
High Beam 55w =51600lux@1m

Now after i have modded it and running off a 24ah external SLA off the cord i get
Low Beam 35w =43440lux@1m
High Beam 55w =68000lux@1m

I also did a ceiling bounce test i measured lumen output of around 640 OTF on high and around 400 OTF on Low using my quark on HIGH as a benchmark at 85 OTF lumens.

Often thought about putting one of those DC-DC boost boards of ebay into it but not sure if there really is much point as those Stanley Fat Max LED spotlights put out around 700lumens and considering the better run time these old incans do seem bit old hat these days although the color rendering is fantastic :).

I am still thinking of maybe doing a HID mod at some point but there is not a lot of room in there with the battery inside, but maybe mount the hid ballast inside and run it from a smaller lithium ion belt pack.

Anyway just thought it would put some lux numbers up as i don't think anyone has tested this light IIRC.

Dima

Newly Enlightened
Hello. Please, tell me where i can buy battery for flashlight Black & Decker SL203B?
Thanks.