*NEW* Fenix CL25R camping light,micro-usb rechargeable, max 350 lumens

cbthedookie

Newly Enlightened
I really like this lantern! Used it to illuminate the undercarriage of my son's truck while we installed a hitch yesterday - lower mode was perfect for a daytime install in a garage. Magnet is very strong - easily held light upside down from the chassis. Already worth the cost for me - much better for two of us to work from than my zebralight headlamp I also had on hand for the job.

Best lantern I have, by a wide margin. And tiny size is a bonus - didn't appreciate it from the fenix info, but it is much smaller than I expected.

While the tint is not warm, it is not at all objectionable to me, and I only buy warm lights where possible. Overall, a great addition to my 18650 powered inventory...

fenix1

Newly Enlightened
I didn't see this mentioned anywhere but is the included 2300mah battery a protected cell?

Yes, the battery included is fenix ARB-L2-2300mAh battery,it has triple over-heat protection,built-in over-charge, over-discharge protection circuit, ensures the max performance of the battery.

sledhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know I should have taken a picture but......my Goal Zero Nomad 27 charged this up nicely this weekend with the USB out.

Everyone should have one of these in their house for emergencies also.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
I know I should have taken a picture but......my Goal Zero Nomad 27 charged this up nicely this weekend with the USB out.

Everyone should have one of these in their house for emergencies also.

Yea it does solar charge well and won't go into an error mode with passing clouds or at least mine didn't.

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yea it does solar charge well and won't go into an error mode with passing clouds or at least mine didn't.

Hmm, that is good to hear. Any sort of Kensington lock type of groove? Would be great to leave at a camp charging with out someone nicking it. Not that a Kensington lock will be much of a deterrent.

andrew2

Newly Enlightened
Red mode accessible from off would be nice. I'm surprised the memory didn't just carry over to the red light so if the last mode you were on was red at turn off, it would come back on in red.

Maybe people use white light more often,so the red light is hidden.

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't doubt red light is used less often but it still seems like they had to go out of their way to "forget" the red light was on. I guess I'm thinking that when you're using the red light, it's because you don't want to blind yourself or others around you, such as in a tent full of people or a dark bedroom at night. As such, you'd want to be able to get to the red light from off without having to go through the white light first (currently not possible). It seems like the easiest way to do that would be to just let the lantern memorize red just like it memorizes white such that if you turned it off in red (because you were going to sleep for example) it would next come on in red (if you had to wake up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom for example).

andrew2

Newly Enlightened
I don't doubt red light is used less often but it still seems like they had to go out of their way to "forget" the red light was on. I guess I'm thinking that when you're using the red light, it's because you don't want to blind yourself or others around you, such as in a tent full of people or a dark bedroom at night. As such, you'd want to be able to get to the red light from off without having to go through the white light first (currently not possible). It seems like the easiest way to do that would be to just let the lantern memorize red just like it memorizes white such that if you turned it off in red (because you were going to sleep for example) it would next come on in red (if you had to wake up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom for example).

Yes,you are right.But this light can memorizes white light,you could turn it off in low mode(0.8 lumen),so the next time you turn on the light,it would come out in low mode.Red light is not good for daily illumination,I think.

Imon

Enlightened
Just got mine in today after ordering it last week.
I thought it was about time I retired my venerable old Rayovac Sportsman EXXXTREME.

I love that it uses a 18650 cell since I have many flashlights and my favorite headlamp, the ZL H600, are 18650 as well.
The size is nice and compact, it can recharge through a micro USB port, and it can screw into a camera tripod. The battery cap is magentic which is pretty cool since it pulls the battery out of the compartment.

I am disappointed that it came with a Fenix-labelled 18650 (ARB-L2M) that was only 2300 mAh.
Come on guys ... I have AW 18650 cells that I probably bought 3 years ago which are 3100 and 3400 mAh.

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am disappointed that it came with a Fenix-labelled 18650 (ARB-L2M) that was only 2300 mAh.
Come on guys ... I have AW 18650 cells that I probably bought 3 years ago which are 3100 and 3400 mAh.

Agreed. This just looks like Fenix's way to get rid of an old stock of batteries that no one will buy. If true, it shows a real disrespect for its customers. I certainly hope Fenix is not purchasing/manufacturing new batteries with this capacity. That would show disrespect as well.

If I could save even $1, I would prefer a model that came without a battery over one that has this battery. That way, disposing of a low-capacity battery would not be my responsibility. Heck, I might even pay them a dollar!

Last edited:

1DaveN

Enlightened
I've been pretty happy with the runtime of that 2300 battery so far. I've only charged it once, and I've been using it a fair amount. I wish I'd paid more attention to the actual runtime so I could comment more substantively.

Anyway, in my opinion, the capacity of the included battery isn't an issue. Most people probably have more 18650s in higher capacities. Many probably use lanterns less than flashlights, so the low capacity gives them the opportunity to run the battery through full cycles. The runtime charts are based on the included battery, and Fenix gets pretty good prices for higher capacity cells, so the lanterns would probably cost more if they included, say, 3400s.

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyway, in my opinion, the capacity of the included battery isn't an issue.

Are you just playing devil's advocate, or, if this lantern had come without a battery, would you have selected a 2300 mAh capacity when you went shopping?

The lanterns would probably cost more if they included, say, 3400s.

Might the lanterns have cost less if there were no battery included at all?

Last edited:

1DaveN

Enlightened
Well, then I stand corrected. But let me ask, are you just playing devil's advocate, or, if this lantern had come without a battery, would you have selected a 2300 mAh capacity when you went shopping?

Might the lanterns have cost less if there were no battery included at all?

You win :) I would probably have gotten a 3400, but definitely not the 2300. And lower cost is always better - no reason why everyone shouldn't be able to choose the battery they prefer.

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
You win :) I would probably have gotten a 3400, but definitely not the 2300. And lower cost is always better - no reason why everyone shouldn't be able to choose the battery they prefer.

With any flashlight that features in-light recharging, there is a real motivation for the maker to include a battery. If they do otherwise, we know ahead of time that a certain percentage of yahoos (and some innocent, but ignorant, buyers) will buy the cheapest Ultra-trash they can find. When the inevitable in-light venting episodes follow, they will often include having the heads and/or tail caps blown off of the flashlights. This could be much more dangerous than a similar venting event in a stand-alone charger.

That's when the litigation starts.

I would not like to be an executive for a flashlight maker forced to testify that, sure, I knew a certain percentage of buyers would buy unsafe batteries. Sure, I knew a small percentage of them would experience dangerous venting episodes inside my product. Of course, I understood that some of them might be injured. None of that sounds good to a jury.

So, by including a quality battery at the time of purchase, and by further specifying that only batteries of similar quality should be used as replacements, a flashlight maker will reduce its exposure to litigation. If I were advising a flashlight manufacturer, I would probably recommend that a battery be included in any light that is rechargeable.

Okay, that all makes sense. Fenix was wise to include a battery. Now we are back to the original question. Does Fenix serve the best interests of it customers when it includes a battery that few of them would have purchased themselves?

I think not.

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
What up, Fenix? Ya all dissin' us, and we don't like it!

Where you get all these ol' batteries, and why ya givin' 'em t'us?

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a starter battery, nothing more or less.
RC models are like this, they do not come with highest capacity cells, or biggest cubes if nitro, normally. You can buy the upgraded kits, for a few dollars, or many more or build out use your own.
What problem?

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
What up, Fenix? Ya all dissin' us, and we don't like it!

Where you get all these ol' batteries, and why ya givin' 'em t'us?

From a point of economics, here are 1 million 2300 cells at 50 cents a cell. Or here are 1 million 3400 top of the range cells at 5 dollars per cell. Pretty obvious which one can be absorbed into the profits. Same goes with some phone makers

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
From a point of economics, here are 1 million 2300 cells at 50 cents a cell. Or here are 1 million 3400 top of the range cells at 5 dollars per cell. Pretty obvious which one can be absorbed into the profits. Same goes with some phone makers

This is believable. It's not what would help the customer, but it's definitely believable.