New Fenix Digital Series! P1D and P1D CE with Cree XR-E !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ledvador

Newly Enlightened
It seem that Xmass will be realy exiting for me this year... new home, L0P-TI, P1D CE...
What's next?... new car, winning national lotery, who know?

Last edited:
Robban said:
Or accept that things change and keep it... We don't want one of our favorite dealers to become angry with us for returning everything we buy as soon as something new comes out, do we?

If you truly wanted to order the newer one instead, I see nothing wrong with returning it. I checked the store policy and you're allowed 14 days from receipt to return for refund or exchange.

If I'm returning something to a store past the return period, I might give it a try, but if they say no, it's their right. If I'm returning something within the period I'm allowed within return contract, I don't reconsider a return just because it increases Wal-Mart's contra revenue account.

Frank Maddix

Newly Enlightened
Thujone said:
Would have gotten it if it were in Natural! Cant hardly avoid the inevitable "another fricken flashlight?" question if it doesn't appear to be one I already have!!!
So swap somebody with a black one!
The only problem then is if they spot the extra 'D'...

smokelaw1

Flashlight Enthusiast
CRAP! CRAP! CRAP!
See...I knew it. Stupid family obligations made me miss it. I figured checking in at 6:50 am today would get me in before any news...

Oh well. SOmething new will come along, I'm sure.

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast
NaturalMystic said:
I've been following this thread since it began. I can't believe I missed out on the pre-order too. Sheesh.
Does anyone know if any other dealers may be getting some of that initial batch that one can pre-order from too?
See post #671.

jezzyp

Enlightened
Damn you're quick on here.:awman:

Still I'll wait for the one with the 17 levels and the camera.

I went overboard on the L1P and bought 5 when they first came out and look at the price of them now!

I just need someone to mod them with a cree now for me now...

smokelaw1

Flashlight Enthusiast
All I asked for was a flashlight that runs on 123s, fits in the coin pocket of my jeans, is digitally regulated, multi-level and can blast out over 130 lumens....is that too much to ask? Now I have to WAIT a few months too? Jeez...what a hard-***.

A flashaholic a year ago wouldn't have believed this. What a great time to be in the hobby/obsession.

I guess I'll pre-order for January.

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
Handlobraesing said:
If you truly wanted to order the newer one instead, I see nothing wrong with returning it. I checked the store policy and you're allowed 14 days from receipt to return for refund or exchange.

If I'm returning something to a store past the return period, I might give it a try, but if they say no, it's their right. If I'm returning something within the period I'm allowed within return contract, I don't reconsider a return just because it increases Wal-Mart's contra revenue account.

You sure seem determined to see 7777's efforts crashed. He keeps us on the cutting edge of mid range lights, and to do this he needs a steady flow of income. Although his website does use the word "store" it is important to keep in mind he is a guy running this operation out of his home, it is not fair to compare him to Wall-Mart.
Another thing to keep in mind is just because a guy or business will bend over backwards for their customers doesn't mean you should always be asking him to bend over.

sclemin1

Newly Enlightened
Well, I just received my Jetbeam MK-II AA and have been very impressed by it. However, I wish it had a little more output on the high setting (making it more useful when I want to light up distant objects) I have no use for strobe or SOS functions but must admit the strobe is fun.
If this light puts out even close to 135 Lumens on high it might be the perfect EDC.
I'd like to see Fenix put out a special edition with tritium vials installed, or machine some slots in so I could easily install them myself.

x2x3x2

Banned
4sevens, may i ask y u doubt Fenix will publish the bin of the Cree version since they do for the Luxeon ones?

Frank Maddix

Newly Enlightened
Pydpiper said:
You sure seem determined to see 7777's efforts crashed. He keeps us on the cutting edge of mid range lights, and to do this he needs a steady flow of income. Although his website does use the word "store" it is important to keep in mind he is a guy running this operation out of his home, it is not fair to compare him to Wall-Mart.
Another thing to keep in mind is just because a guy or business will bend over backwards for their customers doesn't mean you should always be asking him to bend over.
This is difficult. I have had nothing but excellent service from 7777 - service that would put many bigger organizations to shame. I would expect that his professionalism would extend to understanding a situation such as this, with no need to resort to 'rights and responsibilities' on either side. Living in the UK I'm getting fed up with the complaints culture, which is beginning to impact on good old-fashioned service. One or two genuine misunderstandings won't bother him I'm sure - and I can't imagine CPF-ers taking advantage of the situation.

imgadgetman

Newly Enlightened
I am trying to think of the positive side of getting mine in January. Took awhile. I will be glad just to have one. Thanks 7777. imgadgetman

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
x2x3x2 said:
4sevens, may i ask y u doubt Fenix will publish the bin of the Cree version since they do for the Luxeon ones?

They do not fully publish the luxeon's bins. Only the flux. The Vf and the tint
are not specified. The Cree XR-E is relatively new and we have yet to see
what typical bins they will produce. Publishing a particular bin or part of a
bin causes supply issues, thus restricting distribution. Keep in mind Fenix is
mass manufacturing lights. They are not "custom" lights like most of the stuff
here on CPF. You can't sell a product claiming Q2 bin's when they only have
P3 bins. With the Cree's being so new, there is no point to risk possible
frustrations by limiting the specifications. This does not mean they will not do
it in the future, it's just currently it does not make sense. Capiche?

x2x3x2, you also suggested that Fenix is purposely trying to phase out luxeon
lights. Your assumptions are erronious and actually don't even make sense.
Why would they continue to make and even put out new luxeon based lights
if that is their motive? Does that make sense? I'm just appealing to your
reason here.

Maybe instead of guessing and assuming you could ask point blank questions.
I'm here to help. I don't have and don't claim to have all the answers, but I
have and intend to be nothing but forthright with folks here. :D

Last edited:

Blazer

Enlightened
Pydpiper said:

Good Point.

Stuart B

Newly Enlightened
UnknownVT said:
Stuart B wrote: "It says its not PWM but current regulated. I am assuming it does PWM though one way or another as the burn time increases noticably with lower lumens. If it was a linear reg wouldn't it pretty much have the same burn time for any setting (ignoring the non linearity of lm/amp of the LEDs). A linear reg acts like an intellegent resistor. I am guessing it is PWM but with some sort of inductance and a freewheel diode to maintain a DC current.
PWM at a high enough frequency should be not perceivable either."

As indicated by 4sevens earlier in this thread - it is not PWM in any way shape or form - there are many other ways to dim a light other than PWM (in fact PWM is a pretty sophisticated way of doing things) - it is current regulation circuit.

There is NO pulsing -
(unless the light is faulty, or actually on the strobe or SOS modes....)

review with lots of comparison beamshots - that may give a kind of preview to the Cree XR-E version -

Cree XR-E in Fenix L1/2T (vs. UWAJ, stock)

I still disagree lol...but I won't post again after this one arguing :). There are 2 types of regulator, linear and switching. I believe this has a switching regulator that controls current like you say. Switching regulators have to use PWM of some form. With a freewheel diode and inductance and a high enough switching frequency the current doesn't pulse...it makes a tiny triangle wave around the dc current level. As the current is effectively continous the light is continous...not pulsing (even it was pulsed way faster than can be perceived). It still employs PWM, you just can't see the PWM wave form because its been filtered.

If it were linear I don't beleive the run times at lower brightnesses would be as long as they are as linear regs dump/waste the excess power.

The only reason are have said my point is I have seen a couple of people say they are glads its not PWM. There is absolutely nothing wrong with PWM if done properly. If current smoothing is employed or the frequency is high enough you will not see any flickering. If people think PWM is bad they might be tempted to look for units using linear regs....if they do they will get a torch that doesn't run for as long as it could.

Back to the torch....I hope order 1 soon along with a couple of friends.

Stu

Mike89

Enlightened
Just pre-ordered the cree. Missed the first batch but no big deal, at least I know I got one coming. It's not like I don't have enough flashlights to carry me over.

To tell the truth I don't really need this light but I want to see for myself what all the hubba is about the cree. I want to see if "it's all that" as some seem to be losing sleep over it. There is a lot of "wow" factor attributed to this light and I really want to see if I say "wow" when I turn it on. I bought the Nuwai 6 volt, 5 watt TM303 and was expecting a kind of wow factor too but didn't get one. I still liked the beam pattern and throw of the L1T (with modded body and 3 volt 123a battery) better. So I have become a bit skeptical until I try something out for myself. Lights are like women, everyone sees and expects something different. I would much rather have had the cree in a L1T configuration but maybe that's coming later down the line.

As far as the one bummed out about ordered the P1. Seems info about the cree was already known and if I had personally "jumped the gun" cause I wanted a light right now, I would not then return it and make an inconvenience for someone else cause of my impatience. But that's just me. As was stated already, the P1 is a fine light in itself. I would think of it like, "hey, now I'll have two lights". Just because I'm getting a cree doesn't make any of my other lights less useful.

Last edited:

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just a quick note... Orders #6431 and lower made it to the first 200pcs batch.
I'm getting flooded with emails about whether folks made it or not, please check
your order number first thanks.

Frenchyled

Flashaholic*
Poor David....:(

Hehe...did I win something with my order number ? ;)
Thank you again for all your work for us...and hope that we are better with you in the future about spamming your email box ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.