*NEW* Fenix PD40 1x26650 MT-G2 Light

dts71

Newly Enlightened
Where do you find this? 26650 is much bigger than 18650,how to keep the battery fixed in the flashlight?

You can order rubber sleeves just for this purpose or put 2 o-rings on the 18650 to avoid the rattle.

magicstone12

Banned
You can order rubber sleeves just for this purpose or put 2 o-rings on the 18650 to avoid the rattle.

Thank you,the voltages of the two batteries may be the same ,I mean the sizes are not the same.It is a good way to use a rubber sleeves.

ven

Flashaholic
Or some plastic tube cut to size with the 18.5mm or so internal diameter

Along lines of ebay No 141280277398

Of course make your own!!!!! cost cents.........

magicstone12

Banned
Or some plastic tube cut to size with the 18.5mm or so internal diameter

Along lines of ebay No 141280277398

Of course make your own!!!!! cost cents.........

Thank you,hand made tube sounds great,but for DIY, I am not good at it :)

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe Fenix will now make the adapters available separately, that come with their new 26650/18650 zoom light.

dpadams6

Newly Enlightened
The cell Fenix recommends is their 4800 protected cell. BUT the fine print on the spec sheet says it was tested "with thermal control and low voltage warning function turned off." Does this mean they stripped the protection circuit off the battery, or does the flashlight have those functions? If so, did they mod the light or activate a user-usable function on the light? maybe a hidden mode?

And will that battery fit in an Intellicharger i4?

If I pretend the 1600 mode doesn't exist, are the other modes at useful intervals? Compared to the >900 lumens in the PD35 & TK22...
Its the huge run time off that battery... but you could carry a spare for the other lights...

1000, 300, 80, 20 PD40
920, 400, 120, 10 TK22 (2014 edition)
960, 460, 180, 50, 14 PD35 (2014 edition) is this as floody as the TK22 (I LIKE that flood)
The fenix battery does fit in intelli i4

dazzleaj

Newly Enlightened
In spite of the bad comments and because of the good ones, I bought one of these in a package deal from Fenix with the battery and 4 bay ARE-C2 Advanced Multi-Charger for 112. Charged the battery up and took it for a spin. It compares well to the TK35 UE of last year (2014) with the 35 edging it out in the turbo mode. All other modes seem generally comparable with the 40 being a better walking and general illumination light in the low and mid modes. The beam is a nice even spray of light in front of you with no real hotspot. Very nice when compared to any other light I have used. This in and of itself is worth getting it for, in my opinion of course. Hold it in for turbo and you light up the world around you. Not as bright as the 35 but a close second.
The 40 is solid and heavy, but not as clunky as the 35. I rather like the 35 but the thing is just a bit too big for comfortable carry in a picket. The 40 is just about as big as I would want to carry and a bit heavier than is comfortable in the pants pocket. Jacket pocket or belt holder for this guy. I have over 50 LED lights and the only other one so far that really competes with the 40 is the Nitecore EA41 for power and size. They are not directly comparable as the 41 is a thrower and the 40 is a flood but side by side they seem to be related somehow. Not by looks so much as by power and functionality. Both pocketable and both really good at what they do. Proud to have them both.

andrew2

Newly Enlightened
In spite of the bad comments and because of the good ones, I bought one of these in a package deal from Fenix with the battery and 4 bay ARE-C2 Advanced Multi-Charger for 112. Charged the battery up and took it for a spin. It compares well to the TK35 UE of last year (2014) with the 35 edging it out in the turbo mode. All other modes seem generally comparable with the 40 being a better walking and general illumination light in the low and mid modes. The beam is a nice even spray of light in front of you with no real hotspot. Very nice when compared to any other light I have used. This in and of itself is worth getting it for, in my opinion of course. Hold it in for turbo and you light up the world around you. Not as bright as the 35 but a close second.
The 40 is solid and heavy, but not as clunky as the 35. I rather like the 35 but the thing is just a bit too big for comfortable carry in a picket. The 40 is just about as big as I would want to carry and a bit heavier than is comfortable in the pants pocket. Jacket pocket or belt holder for this guy. I have over 50 LED lights and the only other one so far that really competes with the 40 is the Nitecore EA41 for power and size. They are not directly comparable as the 41 is a thrower and the 40 is a flood but side by side they seem to be related somehow. Not by looks so much as by power and functionality. Both pocketable and both really good at what they do. Proud to have them both.

Fenix released the E41 flashlight to compete with the Nitecore EA41,I think PD40 is much different from the EA41.

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well said martinaee thanks. I think this will be a really nice useable light . It is very very small, running on imr the turbo output will be reusable for much of the run I think too.
When I am walking my dog and wonder whats up ahead, it dosnt take me 30 seconds to look, typically a quick scan around takes 10 secs ? Makes this light great to me !

I just ordered this light and a 'burst' high out put is all I will need. If I need more output I would choose another light. This seems to be a great design featuring 26650 battery and MT-G2. :)

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone know if this light has a lockout?
Either activated by the switch like the Nitecore EA4 or by partially unscrewing the tail cap?
It looks easy to inadvertently switch it on if it hasn't.
The PD40 does lock out; I turn the tail cap not more than .25" and no power goes to the switch. The PD40 is my favorite light now; with the 26650 battery and Cree MT-G2 this is a most light, small, and powerful light. :)

Last edited:

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
The PD40 is my favorite light now; with the 26650 battery and Cree MT-G2 this is a most light, small, and powerful light. :)

I can see why you like this flashlight so much. You get all of joy of the Cree MT-G2 emitter coupled with all of the benefits of 26650, without any of the risk that arises when Li-ion batteries are put in series. The result is a wonderful general-purpose flashlight that fits perfectly in the hand, and equally well in a coat pocket.

Although I am not very good at reading a Cree datasheet, I noticed in the datasheet for the MT-G2 that there is a version that has a 5000K CCT together with a CRI of 80. I would love have a modder install one of those in my MT-G2 light. I do not know the fact, but I believe that most (or all) flashlights that feature the MT-G2 are using the 70 CRI version.

Behemoth

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys. Thanks for all reviews. I ordered one yesterday from Fenix site. They're throwing free battery and charger. Also used a coupon MP15 for 15% off. So my total was $85 with free shipping. Can't wait to test it :)

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can see why you like this flashlight so much. You get all of joy of the Cree MT-G2 emitter coupled with all of the benefits of 26650, without any of the risk that arises when Li-ion batteries are put in series. The result is a wonderful general-purpose flashlight that fits perfectly in the hand, and equally well in a coat pocket.

Although I am not very good at reading a Cree datasheet, I noticed in the datasheet for the MT-G2 that there is a version that has a 5000K CCT together with a CRI of 80. I would love have a modder install one of those in my MT-G2 light. I do not know the fact, but I believe that most (or all) flashlights that feature the MT-G2 are using the 70 CRI version.
From my eye sight the FD40 MT-G2 has a much warmer (yellow to my eyes) than the Fenix FD40 that uses the Cree XP-L HI LED. Maybe one of the other forum members could give you a better description than mine. Most of my lights are 'cool white' and it is very noticable that the Fenix MT-G2 is not at all a 'cool white'.

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast

From my eye sight the FD40 MT-G2 has a much warmer (yellow to my eyes) than the Fenix FD40 that uses the Cree XP-L HI LED. Maybe one of the other forum members could give you a better description than mine. Most of my lights are 'cool white' and it is very noticeable that the Fenix MT-G2 is not at all a 'cool white'.

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
From my eye sight the FD40 MT-G2 has a much warmer (yellow to my eyes) than the Fenix FD40 that uses the Cree XP-L HI LED. Maybe one of the other forum members could give you a better description than mine. Most of my lights are 'cool white' and it is very noticeable that the Fenix MT-G2 is not at all a 'cool white'.

The only flashlight I own that uses the Cree MT-G2 is the Nitecore P36. In my sample, the MT-G2 lives up to its 5000K billing. The beam is just about as neutral white as it could be. The P36 uses a large, OP reflector. That, together with the large size of the LED, create a beam that is uniform in color, from the center hot spot, through the corona, and out to the edge of the spill. Unlike most of the Cree XM-L2 and Cree XP-L emitters I have tested, it does not show any hint of green in the corona, nor purple/blue in the spill. In fact, I don't see any color at all, just white.

It is a fantastic LED.

Last edited:

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only flashlight I own that uses the Cree MT-G2 is the Nitecore P36. In my sample, the MT-G2 lives up to its 5000K billing. The beam is just about as neutral white as it could be. The P36 uses a large, OP reflector. That, together with the large size of the LED, create a beam that is uniform in color, from the center hot spot, through the corona, and out to the edge of the spill. Unlike most of the Cree XM-L2 and Cree XP-L emitters I have tested, it does not show any hint of green in the corona, nor purple/blue in the spill. In fact, I don't see any color at all, just white.

It is a fantastic LED.
It is a fantastic LED and mine too have a uniform color from center to corona. I especially like that the MT-G2 can be used with a single battery in an application with a 26650 battery.