*NEW* Fenix PD40 1x26650 MT-G2 Light

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received PD40 last week. In the same order I also included a PD25 and FD40. This is my 4th MT-G2 light and it didn't make me dissatisfied.
I don't care much about the Burst mode. It did not contribute to my choice of this light, and I will likely not use it at all. All other of my MT-G2 have a nice neutral tint and PD40 isn't an exception. Floody and pretty similar beam like TK35UE MT-G2. But PD40 is much more comfortable in the hand. For the most tasks a side switch is to prefer before a tail switch, in my opinion.
PD40 and FD40 share the same battery type which is good. The beam character and tint are totally different however. FD40 is a typical white cool tint and not as comfortable as the tint of PD40. While PD40 is very floody and therefore does not throw far even at the higher levels, the FD40 is everything between flood and throw. I don't think FD40 is regulated at the highest mode, if so very short time. The brightness decreases slowly. PD40 seems to provide stable 1000lm output, however. I have each Fenix 4800mAh cell in each of them and the cells were charged at the same time. Whatever: I am very pleased with both of them. Both provide stable tailstanding and can be used for room lighting as well. Just wish FD40 had the tint of PD40!

Last edited:

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
I seem to the inverse of people who prefer a warmer tint; it might be because most of my lights are cool white and I have not adjusted to a warmer tint.

I am very pleased with both the PD40 and FD40 and do like the burst mode of the FD40 and use it often. Both these lights give excellent performance in a smaller package.

guest2

Newly Enlightened
All,

I was going to get the Zebralight SC5 but looking around I noticed the PD40 along with the Fenix ARB-L4 26650 battery at a good price, so baught it.

The charger I have is a Nitecore Intellicharger i4 which I read a few pages back does not fit (is too small) for the 26650 Fenix battery. Is there a way to make it fit / wire it to the charger so I don't have to spend another £20 or £30 on a new one? It does say it supports 26650 batteries on it which is one of the reasons I bought the PD40

Other options I thought about were the;
Fenix LD41 2015 edition (4xAA, 960 lumen)
Fenix TK35 - slightly too big
Nitecore P12 - 1x18650
Zebralight SC600

I wanted a pocked size torch that runs off AA batteries but the newer LED and cheap price pushed me towards the LD40. AA batteries are so easily available, plus I already own Eneloops.

Do you think I should have stuck with my option to get the SC5 or gone with something like the LD41 which is also AA?

Is there a new 2xAA long skinny torch like the P12 size with a new LED that offers similar specs to the Zebralight SC5 (just longer runtime and/or lumen output)

Thanks

guest2

Newly Enlightened
I dont seem to be able to edit my post above but I have the torch and battery and it appears to be charging fine the the Nitecore i4...

sd0zm5Nh.jpg

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there a new 2xAA long skinny torch like the P12 size with a new LED that offers similar specs to the Zebralight SC5 (just longer runtime and/or lumen output)?

Unfortunately, no. Armytek has the Prime A2 rated at 500 lumens. But it doesn't seem to be as bright as the SC5. It's more along the lines of the Eagletac D25A2 (which I actually prefer to the Prime A2). I'm not sure why 2AA lights are so behind 1xAA lights. But I myself would actually LOVE to see a decent, bright 2AA light. Such a light would have superior runtime to the SC5. And it could put out on the brightest setting without the hitches of the SC5 (ie battery fussiness, very limited runtime, rapidly dropping output, etc).

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
All,

I was going to get the Zebralight SC5 but looking around I noticed the PD40 along with the Fenix ARB-L4 26650 battery at a good price, so baught it.

Thanks

I have both and consider both to be really great lights. Different size and different capacity. SC5(I have the W) is great pocket light, good between the fingers. PD40 fills up the hand better, perfect hold. Both of them are tailstandable. If you consider single AA light SC5 is great choice and if you like the tint of PD40 I think the SC5W is to prefer.

Last edited:

pongagt

Newly Enlightened
I recently ordered a PD40 for $80 using Fenix's 20% off promo code. After reading that it was discontinued and not hearing about my order right away i figured the order would be canceled. Instead i got a call from Fenix offering me the new PD40R for $15 more. It comes with a battery and usb charging and higher lumens along with other features so i figured it was a good deal. The light is $130 on their website. It has the same Cree XPH70 emitter as the Acebeam EC50 Gen II that i was planning on getting if the PD40 was not available. The Fenix is rated for 200M (the Acebeam is rated at 300M) but that should be ok for me. It looks like Fenix priced the PD40R pretty much the same as the Acebeam. I guess the Fenix is so new there are no reviews on it here. I should get mine Saturday. I like the low battery indicator and the usb charging but i am a little weary about the duel switches on the side. I would have preferred it to have the same switches as the PD35. Fenix says you need to use their power Li-ion battery in order to use turbo mode (3000 Ln). I just bought 4 Obtronic 5200's that i need to see if they work for turbo mode.

cancow

Newly Enlightened
Looks like like one of the best lights you can get right now.

I recently ordered a PD40 for $80 using Fenix's 20% off promo code. After reading that it was discontinued and not hearing about my order right away i figured the order would be canceled. Instead i got a call from Fenix offering me the new PD40R for $15 more. It comes with a battery and usb charging and higher lumens along with other features so i figured it was a good deal. The light is $130 on their website. It has the same Cree XPH70 emitter as the Acebeam EC50 Gen II that i was planning on getting if the PD40 was not available. The Fenix is rated for 200M (the Acebeam is rated at 300M) but that should be ok for me. It looks like Fenix priced the PD40R pretty much the same as the Acebeam. I guess the Fenix is so new there are no reviews on it here. I should get mine Saturday. I like the low battery indicator and the usb charging but i am a little weary about the duel switches on the side. I would have preferred it to have the same switches as the PD35. Fenix says you need to use their power Li-ion battery in order to use turbo mode (3000 Ln). I just bought 4 Obtronic 5200's that i need to see if they work for turbo mode.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am very happy with my PD40 and would not change it out to the new R model. The tint with the MT-G2 is very nice ~5000K and what I can read the successor does not use a neutral LED.

david57strat

Enlightened
I realize this is late in the game, since the original PD40 has been discontinued; but I'm going to chime in, anyway, since someone may find it, used, and want to know more about it, looking for comments from actual owners/users.

I've had my PD40 since April of 2015, and have found it to be an extremely reliable light. I bag carry it, all the time, with numerous other lights.

The 1000 lumen high output is plenty, and it's a wonderfully floody light, with a decent neutral tint. I was attracted to the light because of the emitter, and the use of a 26650 battery.

I'm sure plenty more chargers have become available to accommodate the 26650 battery, since the release of this light; but just for reference, I use, either the two outside wells of an XTAR Dragon (at 2 Amps per hour, both slots in an SV2 (on the same setting), or the two outside channels of a Nitecore D4 (up to 3 Amps, max, using the two outside slots), and they work very well in any of these chargers.

They also fit perfectly well in my VC4, VP2, and VC2 Plus chargers (although charging at a lower rate of 1 Amp, for each battery). Chargers are pictured below:

vY43EAB.jpg

I often use this light (in conjunction with others), at work, late night, when alone, ceiling bounced, and it does a respectable job of filling up a decent-sized work area, with a far more pleasant light than I get from those awful fluorescent lights (which I find thoroughly depressing).

I've had zero issues with this light, since I purchasd it, and only regret not having purchased two, rather than one, at that amazing Group Buy price :-(.

Last edited:

Loverofthelight

Newly Enlightened
Most argued about the Burst mode, IMO, it gives the claimed output though with the runtime compromised, but for safety granted.
I believe lots of people will need Burst mode.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most argued about the Burst mode, IMO, it gives the claimed output though with the runtime compromised, but for safety granted.
I believe lots of people will need Burst mode.

In my opinion the burst mode is more a selling argument gimmick than really useful. I find it's only available with fully charged cell and after a short while it's not. But the 1000lm level is measured to around 1,5hours and that's great!