**NEW** Fenix TK15(S2)

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would the s2 be floody compared to the r5 in the same reflector?

The S2 in the TK15 would be the same as the R5. The only difference is that it will have a little more lux and lumens. The jump is minimal for those who recently purchased the R5 version.

The big jump would occur if they used the New XP-G2 LED. You would certainly notice the difference.

slingsy

Newly Enlightened
The S2 in the TK15 would be the same as the R5. The only difference is that it will have a little more lux and lumens. The jump is minimal for those who recently purchased the R5 version.

The big jump would occur if they used the New XP-G2 LED. You would certainly notice the difference.

Oh ok, yeah I've had the R5 for almost a year now, just needed to know if this version was worth a look.

Thanks.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Because I made the decision to soon discontinue my flashlight addiction for a few years I ordered(among several other lights) TK15 S2. Will receive it next week.
By the way I just want to praise the great service of Fenix store. Short before bedtime I placed the order. Next morning I have recevied a mail with the message that the package is SHIPPED. That's really great! :twothumbs

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lagging? XP-G2 is new, available in limited quantity, manufacturers need some time to get them, design and test new models, start production, the whole marketing thing etc.

jonnyfgroove

Enlightened
Lagging? XP-G2 is new, available in limited quantity, manufacturers need some time to get them, design and test new models, start production, the whole marketing thing etc.

The XP-G2 is meant to replace the XP-G without any of those things you mentioned except for the availability factor. That's how I understood it at least. :shrug:

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
A few days ago I received TK15 S2. Short impression: very nice light with good hold and great throw; close to E40 but with much brighter spill. The tint is creamy white(maybe I was lucky in the tint lottery) and the hotspot is even without any noticable hole. It has a useful corona, more than E40. I find it a great light and the brightness modes are well spaced. The side dimmer button works flawless with a distinct click. I actually don't find any drawback with my example. Recommended!

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
How much better is the XPG-G2?

To really appreciate the differences, you should keep one stock and mod the other. Once that is done, the testing can begin. The XP-G2 works really well with lights that have a larger reflector and driven hard. The improvements are more impressive than I had hoped for. In smaller reflector lights the results are less impressive.

Kevin has done some fine work with the XP-G2 and I copied ergotelis :sssh:

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
To really appreciate the differences, you should keep one stock and mod the other. Once that is done, the testing can begin. The XP-G2 works really well with lights that have a larger reflector and driven hard. The improvements are more impressive than I had hoped for. In smaller reflector lights the results are less impressive.

Kevin has done some fine work with the XP-G2 and I copied ergotelis :sssh:

The Fenix TK15 is my favorite "go-to" light. Both of mine are R5 emitters. Do you think Fenix will introduce a much stronger emitter or should I grab a S2 right now?

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Fenix TK15 is my favorite "go-to" light. Both of mine are R5 emitters. Do you think Fenix will introduce a much stronger emitter or should I grab a S2 right now?

The S2 version of the TK15 is fairly new. Therefore it is unlikely that Fenix will use the XP-G2 any time soon.

ergotelis

Enlightened
I will tell you soon how a fenix tk15 S2 performs with xp-g2 led, i have one on its way.
I hope i can open it, as trying to open E35 was very difficult, haven't ever seen such resistance, i have opened almost all fenix flashlights!

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast

If you already have the 337lm predecessor the difference will be pretty small, I would not get an updated version only for such a small difference. But I compare it to TK10 and then the difference is larger, twice as bright and MUCH better throw. Yes; I really like my TK15 S2.

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will tell you soon how a fenix tk15 S2 performs with xp-g2 led, i have one on its way.
I hope i can open it, as trying to open E35 was very difficult, haven't ever seen such resistance, i have opened almost all fenix flashlights!

Opening the torch can ba a little difficult at times. I too have been lucky and able to.open up most lights, with the exception of a Fenix P3D. Good luck and I look forward to your results.

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Could somebody give an estimate as to how much brighter (lumens) an xp-g2 could be in a Fenix TK-15 as opposed to this S2 emitter? Something tells me it can't be *THAT* much of a difference. I've seen estimates for some lights saying the difference between the R5 and the xp-g2 in the same light is somewhere around 20% ---- but going from the S2 to the xp-g2 in say a TK-15 wouldn't be a 20% difference.

If brightness is the issue go to xm-l anyway, right? My opinion on the TK-15 is that they definitely improved it here with the S2 and if you are seriously considering getting it (like me now :sssh: ) then don't worry that the xp-g2 exists on the horizon. There is always going to be the next greatest emitter coming out anyway, right?

I did just get an E40 --- the thing is *only* 220 lumens on max, but throws like a beast and honestly comes across as way more than 220 lumens outdoors because of the ultra hot hot-spot. Good stuff. I've only been into the high end flashlight game for a few years, but I already remember a few years ago when 200+ lumens in smallish lights seemed AH-MAZING!

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Could somebody give an estimate as to how much brighter (lumens) an xp-g2 could be in a Fenix TK-15 as opposed to this S2 emitter? Something tells me it can't be *THAT* much of a difference. I've seen estimates for some lights saying the difference between the R5 and the xp-g2 in the same light is somewhere around 20% ---- but going from the S2 to the xp-g2 in say a TK-15 wouldn't be a 20% difference.

If brightness is the issue go to xm-l anyway, right? My opinion on the TK-15 is that they definitely improved it here with the S2 and if you are seriously considering getting it (like me now :sssh: ) then don't worry that the xp-g2 exists on the horizon. There is always going to be the next greatest emitter coming out anyway, right?
Yes. I think the best is to decide a flashlight and then use it for at least 2 years, before looking for the next generation. Otherwise it will never stop!

I did just get an E40 --- the thing is *only* 220 lumens on max, but throws like a beast and honestly comes across as way more than 220 lumens outdoors because of the ultra hot hot-spot. Good stuff. I've only been into the high end flashlight game for a few years, but I already remember a few years ago when 200+ lumens in smallish lights seemed AH-MAZING!
Yes, E40 it's a cool light. Not the best for short distance(too dominant hotspot) or indoors but for long distance it's impressive. Also it sometimes has it's advantage that the spill isn't very bright so it doesn't make too much attention outside the area of the hotspot.