*NEW* Fenix TK35UE with MT-G2

MBentz

Enlightened
hmmm, I have lights with twisty head (Eagletac), control rings (Sunwayman/Niteye), and double button on the base (Fenix).

I dislike the twisty head especially with more than one level via twisting since the on/off button moves when the head is twisted, and that forces me to change my hand position. If the on/off button remains maybe in the base and the head twist simply is a high/low, then sort of OK. Furthermore, I am barely able to twisting the head with my thumb + forefinger.

With a control ring, I can easily move the ring with my thumb + forefinger, or maybe even just one of them. The major negative to the control ring is possible dirt contamination under the rotating ring.

The double button on the base - one for on/off, one for level - is a problem of finding the correct button by feel in the dark and maybe with gloves on. Yes, once used to the smaller/lower button being the level button, not that bad. However with all of the controls in the base, I have to hold the light in an overhand position, which is rather awkward at times.

Arguably a button method is the best for resisting dirt contamination.

Thank you for your thoughts moldyoldy. I have large hands so I do not think about being unable to easily change modes with something like the SX25L3. Honestly though, is single handed operation that imperative, especially on a non-EDC light? If it were, I would think a headlamp would be a better tool in that situation.

I've yet to try out a light with an on/off button next to a mode switch button. Actually, I think I would like that quite a bit. I just can't get over the fact that Fenix's lights are quite possibly the most ugly designed lights currently in production. There are some exceptions, like the TM and SRT series, but overall I think their lights are not aesthetically pleasing with lower build quality.

Oh well, to each their own. I'm glad we have so many choices in lights these days. I hope many people are happy with this light. More lights based off the MT-G2 is a good thing. :)

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for your thoughts moldyoldy. I have large hands so I do not think about being unable to easily change modes with something like the SX25L3. Honestly though, is single handed operation that imperative, especially on a non-EDC light? If it were, I would think a headlamp would be a better tool in that situation.

I've yet to try out a light with an on/off button next to a mode switch button. Actually, I think I would like that quite a bit. I just can't get over the fact that Fenix's lights are quite possibly the most ugly designed lights currently in production. There are some exceptions, like the TM and SRT series, but overall I think their lights are not aesthetically pleasing with lower build quality.

Oh well, to each their own. I'm glad we have so many choices in lights these days. I hope many people are happy with this light. More lights based off the MT-G2 is a good thing. :)

I think you are thinking of Nitecore lights. Fenix doesn't have the TM and SRT lights.

Personally, I love having a light with a main big button and a mode button right next to it. My E40 is like that. I never accidentally press the mode button instead of the larger rubber on/off button.

MBentz

Enlightened
I think you are thinking of Nitecore lights. Fenix doesn't have the TM and SRT lights.

Personally, I love having a light with a main big button and a mode button right next to it. My E40 is like that. I never accidentally press the mode button instead of the larger rubber on/off button.

Whoops, thanks for the correction.

The entire Fenix collection is ugly! :)

ven

Flashaholic
Whoops, thanks for the correction.

The entire Fenix collection is ugly! :)

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!! :laughing: :twothumbs

I must admit now owning 4 fenix lights,the tk50/tk51(has 3 buttons)tk61vn/tk75vn all have 2 buttons(obv excluding the tk51)

I like them,i like the simplicity,switch on,other is for modes.............sometime just simple is best imo and fenix do that well.

Still think the tk50 is a very good looking light

beautiful.......

:laughing:
Back on topic,i can really see this in my fenix collection:D as always wanted the tk35,now 1800lm wow

Last edited:

kj75

Enlightened
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!! :laughing: :twothumbs

I must admit now owning 4 fenix lights,the tk50/tk53(has 3 buttons)tk61vn/tk75vn all have 2 buttons(obv excluding the tk51)

I like them,i like the simplicity,switch on,other is for modes.............sometime just simple is best imo and fenix do that well.

Still think the tk50 is a very good looking light

beautiful.......

:laughing:
Back on topic,i can really see this in my fenix collection:D as always wanted the tk35,now 1800lm wow

You've got a TK53????:thinking: Current year is 2014 ...:crackup:Not 2016...

stona

Newly Enlightened
Can you explain why a control ring is preferred to a head twist? For the record, I have lights that use both methods of control. I'm just having a hard time understanding the hate towards a twisty head and the love for a control ring by the same people.

Firstly it's the contacts in the head that I'm a little worried about for failure. Secondly it's the lack of detents in the rotation that I don't like. I'd be ok if that was infinitely variable, but with only 3 or 4 modes, I'd much rather have specific detents where the head (or control ring) would lock in. Lastly, and I realize this is probably a moot point and that the light still maintains it's waterproof rating, I find it bothersome that we have to actually loosen the head to change modes. Almost feels like we're disassembling the light. I like my lights to remain....fully tightened and closed with no loose parts, per se. It's hard to describe lol!

As for the control ring, I like that they have a definite end and start point. I can't keep rotating it and things loosen up. And usually they have detents.

Aside from that UI, I like eagletac's offerings, options (especially the CW and NW), and styles. I do have an older twisty head eagletac p100a2 that my dad has inherited. Decent light, and with only two modes on the twisty, I find it okay to use.

BauXite

Newly Enlightened
The TK35 is on my list of lights to want, I guess I'll have to wait now... ...how long until this comes out?

I like the UI on this light, I would prefer a single tail cap switch but the large/small switches seem to work well too.

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really think Fenix should bring the TK50 back and put an xp-g2 in it. It would satisfy the market of people who want to use D cells still and I think would be a fantastic light at 400 lumens or so. Maybe wait until the xp-g2 size of led is further upgraded to do so. I would be interested in it.

I don't know why a few think it's ugly. I think the TK50 is a good looking light. Very classic *flashlight* aesthetic.

kj2

Flashaholic
I really think Fenix should bring the TK50 back and put an xp-g2 in it. It would satisfy the market of people who want to use D cells still and I think would be a fantastic light at 400 lumens or so. Maybe wait until the xp-g2 size of led is further upgraded to do so. I would be interested in it.

I don't know why a few think it's ugly. I think the TK50 is a good looking light. Very classic *flashlight* aesthetic.

I agree with you :)

kj2

Flashaholic
It has been released :) Hope to see the English version of these pics soon.

165 mm (length) × 44 mm (body diameter) × 52 mm (head diameter)
bbx36.jpg

28tv1j7.jpg

35d7qkh.jpg

Last edited:

mcorp

Enlightened
It has been released :) Hope to see the English version of these pics soon.

bbx36.jpg

28tv1j7.jpg

35d7qkh.jpg

Wow 1800lumens is way higher than I expected! Probably a maximum of 3 minutes burst:)

Definitely looking forward for this now!! Thanks kj2 :)

kj2

Flashaholic
Wow 1800lumens is way higher than I expected! Probably a maximum of 3 minutes burst:)
Definitely looking forward for this now!! Thanks kj2 :)
I knew about two weeks what the max lumens would be ;) but had to keep my mouth shut :sssh:
Hope to add this one, soon in my collection :)

ven

Flashaholic
I agree with you :)

I agree with both of you;)

Thanks for the update kj2,this really is an awesome light :D
Other than the xp-g2 it is probably close to the tk51 in some ways(output with both flood and throw) but single led(obv 1 cell less).

Jury out as of yet,if i did not have the tk51 i would be more interested in it, will hold back on this one for now...........

I think a tk35vn with maybe 3000lm would hit the nail on the head to push it well above, and make it a must buy.........on a personal choice level.

Sh3ngLong

Newly Enlightened
Normally it arrives at the dealers, 3-5 weeks after announcement.

Sweet. Then I might be able to get it for my bro-in-law's birthday.

BTW, I see you're almost hitting the 3K milestone. :thumbsup:

Latest posts