*new* Fenix UC35: micro-usb rechargeable, max 960 lumens

deadbatteries

Newly Enlightened
A local store had this in stock and I couldn't resist trying it out. Unfortunately, the micro USB port was bad. The conductors were not centered in the connector. Disappointing, but no QC program is perfect. Returned to the store.

I can send a picture but have no URL to upload from.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
That sucks! I get my Fenix lights from Fenix Store.com. If there is an issue they will take care of you they have some of the best CS I have ever experienced. The conductors were most likely damaged during their trip over from China somehow.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
yes I was referring to the make and mah rating of the 18650 cell I have in the light. Yes rated for 3600mah. Dont see these cells for sale anymore from any brand I dont really know why. I bought a dozen of these cells when I could. Since the 3600mah cells are no longer available from anyone I just started buying the relatively new 3500mah Sanyo ncr18650ga 10 amp 18650's. For some reason they are holding their capacity better than any of my other cells. Even my 3600mah cells tend to drain in what I would describe as quick fashion. These new 3500mah cells are holding their capacity much better. I am not a battery expert and couldnt really say why the new cells drain so slowly...cannot complain about it that is for sure...

Doheny

Newly Enlightened
A local store had this in stock and I couldn't resist trying it out. Unfortunately, the micro USB port was bad. The conductors were not centered in the connector. Disappointing, but no QC program is perfect. Returned to the store.

I can send a picture but have no URL to upload from.

I had the same issue. I had bought mine from Amazon. I retuned it.

mojojojo

Newly Enlightened
I recently purchased two UC35 lights and would like to provide some more information to potential buyers. I was not able to find the some of the information I wanted before making my own purchase, so I took the plunge anyways! Either I was searching poorly and missed the information i wanted, or it was never fully answered to my satisfaction. Here we go...

1. Question:
    Does the flashlight charge to 4.20V?

Answer:
    I had found members on CPF and BLF saying it, and Olights, only charges to 4.15V, while others said that it charged to a perfect 4.20V.

So far I have run 4 charge cycles through each light. I unplug the light within 1 minute of the green LED indicating a completed charge, and then immediately remove the battery to check the voltage. I do not let it rest.

My initial measurement showed a voltage of 4.15 hot from the charger (measured with both a Cen-Tech and MasterCraft DMM). Subsequent charges give me readings of 4.16V, and now 4.18V. I suspect the batteries are stretching their legs after sitting on the shelf for a while. Whether the light can charge to a full 4.20V is unknown at the moment.
  2. Question:
    When does the red lower power indicator begin to flash?

Answer:
    Common answers were "at 33% remaining capacity"
    Leaving the light in turbo and in a cold glass of water, I let the lights step down and run until the red indicator LED began to flash. I turned off the lights (by this time the lights have stepped down to 180 lumens), removed the batteries, and measured a voltage of 3.30V.
  3. Question:
    At what voltage does the protection circuit kick in on a ARB-L2P?

Answer from Fenix (Linda Yao):
    Emailed Fenix and their response was 2.7V, for all of the protection circuits used on their current batteries.
  4. Question:
    Is Fenix gong to update the UC35 any time soon?

Answer from Fenix (Linda Yao):
    "I do not have new that we will upgrade the UC35 in a short time."

I also want to make a post comparing my two lights...one is not like the other, but ill save that for another time!
Thanks for reading and I hope this helps anyone looking to buy this light.

mojojojo

Newly Enlightened
strange my UC35 charges to 4.20v every single time

Hi CelticCross. It was actually all of the information you provided throughout this thread that pushed me to get this light. So thank you for your contributions!

I am currently running my 5th cycle on one of the lights and will update my earlier post accordingly. I expect your light has been used extensively since you got it, where mine is only 2 weeks old and having only cycled the batteries 5 times. I am hoping that mine will charge to 4.20V as well.

Do you stop charging as soon as the indicator shows green? Or do you leave it for a bit longer? I am thinking that after the indicator turns green, there is a trickle/top off charge being applied. I will later experiment with leaving the light plugged in with the green indicator for an hour or so and see if that brings me any closer to 4.20V.

Kudzu

Newly Enlightened
Just picked one of these up, really liking it so far. Question for other owners, though. I'm seeing a distinct square shape in the corona from the emitter. I've got a circular cool white hotspot, a squareish corona with a lot of yellow in it, and then a broad cool white spill. The square shape is most visible at close range, of course, but even though it blurs out at longer ranges I can still notice it. By no means a dealbreaker, but I'm wondering if I should return and try to get a sample with a better beam profile.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
hey mojojojo-yw for the info I have had my UC35 since they first went on sale and yes it has seen extensive use. As for charging I rarely use the built in micro USB charging system. As good as it is it just takes a lot longer to charge the fat 3600mah Orbtronic I have in it I use my Xtar VC4 most of the time. Indeed when I have charged the cell in the light I would click off the charging as soon as the side switch turned green take out the cell and check it with my multi meter(which has since been stolen)and got 4.20v whenever I did it. Maybe I got a ringer? Maybe its due to the characteristics of the specific cell? Idk.

The 3600mah Orbtronic I have in my UC35 has been recharged many many times now and still charges back up to 4.20v on my Xtar. Kudzu thats the first report I have read on the UC35 having a square corona. The beam profile out my UC35 is what looks to my eyes like a higher output PD35 profile with a slightly warmer tint. The corona is bright and kind of diffuse but is totally circular. Of course it blurs out at longer ranges the 35 series of lights are short range lights. If you are really seeing a square corona that is just bizarre. Maybe you could post a pic?

curtquarquesso

Newly Enlightened
I've had my UC35 for over a year now, and it was money well spent. It's an incredibly capable light.

My biggest gripe is no tail standing ability, and the dust cover.

The dust cover wore smooth within weeks, and completely fell off within a month or two. I contacted Fenix for a replacement dust cover, and they sent it right away, but didn't give any details on how to install it. It just doesn't look possible from the construction of the flashlight's forward assembly. I'm stumped. Fenix Customer Service has no idea how to do it either. They told me to ask the factory, so I have an email in to [email protected], and am waiting to hear back.

cfba36b5df.jpg

In the mean time, has anyone here successfully replaced the dust cover on the UC35? Don't want to break the thing trying...

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Im guessing its not a press fit but a pull through. Just dont see how that would press fit. I am guessing before the guts are installed it gets pulled through at the end piece. Could be wrong.

Ktmken

Newly Enlightened
The local GrouseRiver store had these lights in stock so I picked one up today.
This is the first high performance flashlight that I have ever owned so I am very impressed.
I haven't found anything I don't like about it.
I had a mount for a camera mounted on my bicycle helmet and this light fits it perfectly. Any one up for some nighttime trail riding?
It was actually this thread that convinced me to go ahead and purchase this light
Lots of fun

Ktmken

Newly Enlightened

Here is a beam shot of the new Fenix uc35 in the park next to the house.
The trees are about 80 - 100 feet away.
Very impressive.

Jonnieb

Newly Enlightened
I've had my UC35 for over a year now, and it was money well spent. It's an incredibly capable light.

My biggest gripe is no tail standing ability, and the dust cover.

The dust cover wore smooth within weeks, and completely fell off within a month or two. I contacted Fenix for a replacement dust cover, and they sent it right away, but didn't give any details on how to install it. It just doesn't look possible from the construction of the flashlight's forward assembly. I'm stumped. Fenix Customer Service has no idea how to do it either. They told me to ask the factory, so I have an email in to [email protected], and am waiting to hear back.

cfba36b5df.jpg

In the mean time, has anyone here successfully replaced the dust cover on the UC35? Don't want to break the thing trying...

How do you typically carry your flashlight? Is it in a pocket, on your belt, or in a pack or tool kit? Just wondering if this impacted on the durability of the dust cover.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
I carry mine either clipped into my right rear pocket or in my aftermarket holster. The light still spins like a top.