New Jetbeam M2S with SST-50 LED [+ Pics heavy]

Dioni

Flashlight Enthusiast
They'll fit, but will the flat-top cells work? Is there a spring on the + contact in the light?

Well, as we can see in the 3rd pic in OP, there is not any spring. Altough...

I believe the JETBeam lights have the raised + contact.

indeed, the + contact looks has raised. Just to remember: Does AW 2600mah have the 3 nipples on the negative, right?

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was scraching a hole in my head considering the purchase of the M2S until discovered and ordered one of these.

I don't know what came over me.... I think it had something to do with 2200 lumens and no time limit "70mins" with a 6 hour runtime at 700 lumens.
Price includes 6 balanced 18650 batteries "in proprietary pack" and charger.

•Utilizes Luminus SST-90 LED, 30W, lifetime 60,000 hours.
•Output & Runtime: Two brightness levels and strobe mode
•(1). High Mode: 2200 Lumens / 70Minutes
•(2). Low Mode: 700 Lumens / 6 Hours
•(3). Strobe: 2200 Lumens / 10 Hz / 150 Minutes
•Max throw: 1000 meters.

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
As far as I'm concerned, this light is the perfect example why we need a thicker battery that's more like a c cell in thickness.

It would look so much better with thicker and shorter body.

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
I want all my lights to run of batterys avaliable in most shops in case it hits the fan, this light is ideal for me, the other big lights are great but useless if i cant fuel them with cr123's.
why dont they just stack six cells side by side. would be better for the cells and prolly make a nice size light.

brianch

Enlightened
Thanks for the link. Some mighty fine pictures there. I actually like the shape and design of the head. I initially thought the design was strange but after seeing it from other angles I find the head to be quite attractive.

OK SOMEONE EMAIL JETBEAM AND TELL THEM THEIR SPELLING FOR TACTICAL IS WRONG ON THE M2S TUBE!:poke:

coolperl

Newly Enlightened
To tease you guys a little more... :naughty:

This 3-minute limit for high mode seems to work only on time basis. If the flashlight change mode from high to medium after 3 minutes, you can turn it off/on again and get another 3 minutes on high. But after a couple such cycles on high, it gets pretty warm...

supergravy

Newly Enlightened
OK SOMEONE EMAIL JETBEAM AND TELL THEM THEIR SPELLING FOR TACTICAL IS WRONG ON THE M2S TUBE!:poke:

Classic! Gives me a chuckle when this happens on a cheap DX light but I would be ticked off on a light like this. Maybe it is on purpose and "tatical" is a new term for the lights that crank the power down after 3 minutes on high? :grin2:

The announcement of this light excited me to no end but after missing product descriptions (at debut, now corrected), timed output limits, a dealer that frustrated me and typos on the light itself I am happy to be out. The Catapult that I bought on the rebound has turned out to be awesome!

Last edited:

Newly Enlightened
Re: New Jeatbeam M2S with SST-50 LED

Where is that stated?

From the specs:

Functions:
User can switch the modes quickly by tightening/loosening the light bezel.
Tightening the head for Max output (continuous use for 3 minutes and automatically switches to Mid mode)
Loosening the head for Mid mode - Low mode - 15HZ strobe

BugOutGear_USA

Enlightened
For those that asked...

Here is some info on M2S' High Mode Protection:

The SST-50 LED emits a large amount of heat at this setting. This heat may reduce the lifespan of the LED, so after 3 continuous minutes in Max Brightness Mode, the M2S' built-in temperature protection circuit will automatically activate and enter protection mode, which will reduce the output to approx. 480 lumens (Mid Mode). If the user wants to resume Max Brightness Mode they can turn off the M2S and turn back on again, the light will resume Max output.

Hope the helps answer some of the questions.

Regards,
Flavio
BugoutGearUSA.com
JETBeam USA
888-221-5498

gooseman

Newly Enlightened
For those that asked...

The SST-50 LED emits a large amount of heat at this setting. This heat may reduce the lifespan of the LED, so after 3 continuous minutes in Max Brightness Mode, the M2S' built-in temperature protection circuit will automatically activate and enter protection mode, which will reduce the output to approx. 480 lumens (Mid Mode). If the user wants to resume Max Brightness Mode they can turn off the M2S and turn back on again, the light will resume Max output.

Regards,
Flavio
BugoutGearUSA.com
JETBeam USA
888-221-5498

I'm likely in the minority here, but I would have been more excited if JetBeam updated their M1X with an SST-50 that lived well within its thermal limitations, offering better throw and efficiency than the current M1X, without the fail-safe timer. Maybe a M1X v5 :naughty:.

Would JetBeam comment on the highest ambient temperature at which their fail-safe mechanism will still protect the LED? If its 95'F, will this mechanism still prevent the LED from overheating?

Last edited:

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
The chinese in general would do well to consult with their american reps before printing anything because they do come out looking pretty stupid for something as simple as a flashlight brochure :(

houtex

Enlightened
For those that asked...

Regards,
Flavio
BugoutGearUSA.com
JETBeam USA
888-221-5498

So will it continue to go into safe mode every 3 minutes or can it be overiden just once?

grunscga

Newly Enlightened
Would JetBeam comment on the highest ambient temperature at which their fail-safe mechanism will still protect the LED? If its 95'F, will this mechanism still prevent the LED from overheating?

I don't work for Jetbeam, but I suspect that your goose would be cooked long before the LED's. Someone already mentioned (either here or in the Marketplace thread) that they thought the time limit was to protect the batteries rather than the emitter. After running the numbers, I think they're right. Unless the M2S has spectacularly efficient circuitry, it will end up pulling ~1800mA from each CR123A, even fresh @ 3V. As soon as they drop to 2.5V each, if the light stays in regulation it will be drawing ~2150mA from each battery. Most CR123A manufacturers state that the max safe continuous draw is 1500mA, so I'm betting that the 3 minute time limit is to keep the draw from being "continuous". Anyone using the extension with 4x CR123As or 2x 18650s will be ok current-wise, but since Jetbeam didn't go with a four battery body tube, they need to account for the "lowest common denominator".

Partywaggin

Newly Enlightened
I don't work for Jetbeam, but I suspect that your goose would be cooked long before the LED's. Someone already mentioned (either here or in the Marketplace thread) that they thought the time limit was to protect the batteries rather than the emitter. After running the numbers, I think they're right. Unless the M2S has spectacularly efficient circuitry, it will end up pulling ~1800mA from each CR123A, even fresh @ 3V. As soon as they drop to 2.5V each, if the light stays in regulation it will be drawing ~2150mA from each battery. Most CR123A manufacturers state that the max safe continuous draw is 1500mA, so I'm betting that the 3 minute time limit is to keep the draw from being "continuous". Anyone using the extension with 4x CR123As or 2x 18650s will be ok current-wise, but since Jetbeam didn't go with a four battery body tube, they need to account for the "lowest common denominator".

I'm no CS major and the voltage for lights is way too low, but it would seem to me that all would be needed would a few more lines of code in the IC's to give commands to the regulator override the 3 minute lockout if it detected the proper voltage, etc.

Wes

grunscga

Newly Enlightened
The problem is that with the many possible combinations of batteries, there is no "proper voltage", because "safe" and "unsafe" overlap. For example:

3x CR123A [needs timer] = 7.5V - 9V (or lower, if you really run them down)
4x CR123A [pretty much needs timer = 10V - 12V
2x 18650 [no timer] = 7V - 8.4V
3x 16340 [no timer] = 10.5V - 12.6V

gooseman

Newly Enlightened

Sorry, I missed that … it seems plausible. I guess the question in my mind is, "3" seems arbitrary for any reason (protecting the emitter, or the batteries, or my goose;) I guess it could be a carefully engineered safety margin …

But if the battery manufacturer's are saying don't drain the batteries over a certain C, who came up with "well, its OK to do this for 3 minutes?". If the battery manufacturers mention this in their data sheets, then maybe its OK.

Without the appropriate feedback loops in the system, it is suboptimal because the light really has no idea how hot it is, or how well behaved my batteries are.

I still think that if the light is pushing certain components close to the point of failure, it would be better if they incorporated temperature or whatever variable necessitating this limitation into the feedback of the control system.

Last edited: